Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 115 total)
  • Annoying things at my local trail centre
  • edlong
    Free Member

if they want to take the kids riding stay on the kids trails

I’m not familiar with the place but I just looked at the “official” map and I can’t see any age restrictions on any of the trails. I suspect you’re making that shit up.

Perhaps competency might be a useful criteria, since there are plenty of kids more capable on reds (and blacks) than many adults would be?

+1 for yes, you do appear to be a dick.

EDIT: By the way, you still don’t seem to have answered the question as to the pertinence of being Eastern European when you’re lost in a trail centre? In the absence of any rational explanation people will just draw the obvious conclusion. Which is that you are a xenophobic dick.

kelron
    Free Member

There’s short loop of wide featureless track for the kids, and a play area by the car park. What more do they need?

Yak

You are right – if you want quiet(er) trail – head there midweek evenings.

Scrap that – bad advice – we coach kids at trail centres on midweek evenings. Then the trails are full of kids. And we session bits again and again. Most folk passing by love that there are lots of kids learning skills on the trail.

The red attracts lots of kids because lots of kids are perfectly able to ride it. It’s a good place for kids as they know what the level of difficulty will be all round the trail. A decent 8yr old would be fine round it I reckon. Anyway, at any point on any trail someone might stop. Yes they should pull into the side, but sometimes folk don’t. It happens. You just can’t expect a full speed clear trail at a busy time, anywhere, except maybe on private land with no public access – eg a race course.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nealglover
    Free Member

**** you

Worst. Chat up line. Ever.

scotroutes

Next time, shout STRAVAAAA as you descend.

spawnofyorkshire

A decent 8yr old would be fine round it I reckon.

Aye my nephew does a really good job around most of the red “downhill” trails
    He’s more competent than a lot of the adult weekend warriors as well who seem to spend most of their time looking at their front wheel and not the the trail in front of them

daern
    Free Member

And these trails are listed as RED
    or for experienced riders

Sorry, you’re quite wrong here. We ride reds at most trail centres as my kids (particularly my son) enjoy the challenge of the increased difficulty and trail features. Yes, he’s not always as quick as the adults, but he’s technically competent and, frankly, quicker up the hills than most of the guys pushing their enduro bikes 😉

The family trails are typically flat, open, wheelchair friendly sort of things and not at all what we want to ride. That said, they tend to be quite open and wide. Perhaps you’d have a better riding experience here, where people won’t block “your” trails and hold up your vitally important speed session.

Sorry mate, but you’re coming across as a bit of a cock here and you might want to reflect on this.

martinhutch

Worst. Chat up line. Ever.

Bit harsh. All it needs is a question mark.

DezB
    Free Member

When it said “trail centre”, I thought it meant trail centre!

I asked a bloke for directions last time I was there.. now this is the confusing bit – I was (no, am) English and (was) wearing mountain bicycle clothing.. HE was French and wearing a “sports top”. Who shouldn’t have been there? He didn’t even know the way for crying out loud. Maybe he got the “don’t tell people who ask for directions” memo.
    Going there tomorrow and I’m going to be prepared to be annoyed.

chakaping
    Free Member

In a parallel dimension…

Incident 1 – “Woah guys, that might not be the best place to stop, just so you know the etiquette is to stop off of the trail – safer for everyone that way.”

Incident 2 – “Of course I can help, you need to head that way then turn that way, then you’ll see the car park. Have you had a good ride, what do you think of Swinley? How does it compare to the trails back home?”

kenniboi
    Free Member

@daern
    fair enough but they were camped in the middle of a trail where most people would be doing at least 12-15 mph
    it wouldn’t of been an issue if they were riding and not standing

kenniboi
    Free Member

are most of you that post on here actualy cyclist/mountain bikers or do you come to sit and enjoy the fun
    just an idea??

Mister-P
    Free Member

secondly the dads with the daughter were at the bottom of a trail that most riders would be doing around 15–18 mph

where most people would be doing at least 12-15 mph

At least most people have slowed down in case there’s anyone on the trails.

nickc

OP, stop digging.

daern
    Free Member

are most of you that post on here actualy cyclist/mountain bikers or do you come to sit and enjoy the fun
    just an idea??

Oh, we all love a popcorn thread 🙂

Seriously though, you’ve raised an interesting point about shared trails, especially those in busy locations that get huge numbers of people, not all of which (in complete fairness) should be riding them. I think that chakaping’s response from a couple of posts back reflects my attitude to this and I will rarely deviate from this behaviour.

spawnofyorkshire

just an idea??

Nah I’m just a keyboard warrior, never touched a bike in my life, never been to swinley and don’t have a chuffing clue about how to recognise when i’ve been a douche

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Is this you OP 😆

[video]https://youtu.be/voNqjCAy6Sg[/video]

bgascoyne
    Free Member

who needs a comedy show when you can read this thread 🙂

joemmo
    Free Member

it wouldn’t of been an issue if they were riding and not standing

Wouldn’t have – because all this thread needs is some grammatical pedantry to make it perfect.

edlong
    Free Member

OP, stop digging.

No, don’t. I’m still interested in why lost Eastern Europeans are a problem and why you GAF about what they wear.

mark90
    Free Member

I think that chakaping’s response from a couple of posts back reflects my attitude to this and I will rarely deviate from this behaviour.

And perfectly illustrates the simple rule…… don’t be a dick 🙂

daern
    Free Member

OP, stop digging.

No, don’t. I’m still interested in why lost Eastern Europeans are a problem and why you GAF about what they wear.[/quote]But what if they were wearing only lycra and no baggies…?

Metathread time! 🙂

giantalkali
    Free Member

The new surface at Swinley is too Estonia for me.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I’m just a bloke with a bike.
    secondly the dads with the daughter were at the bottom of a trail that most riders would be doing around 15–18 mph
    if id hit the daughter at that speed who knows what would happen. I literally had to yank my bars to miss them!!

And these trails are listed as RED
    or for experienced riders

I think that confirms that they were lost and needed directions, possible even European..

Blackflag
    Free Member

OP. Any chance you can enlighten us on why you feel the ethnicity of the hoodies is relevant?

With small children and foreigners being the subject of your wrath you sound like a fantastic guest for a dinner party i’m having. Wanna come?

scud
    Free Member

I think everyone at BOB club would be glad if you’d remove their name from your original post….

At the end of the day you’re riding a hugely busy trail centre, you have to expect there to be people of different standards there, there is a reason that most BOB rides only touch on the trial centre itself when busy, there is miles and miles of trails in that area where you won’t meet another rider let alone people to take their kids.

Swinley red is one of the tamest red trails in the country, and one of the busiest.
    You’ve got to expect some inexperienced people and be aware they might be blocking a trail.

Come to Thetford……

Goldigger
    Free Member

Incident 2 – “Of course I can help, you need to head that way then turn that way, then you’ll see the car park. Have you had a good ride, what do you think of Swinley? How does it compare to the trails back home?”

I think he was in to much of a hurry to give them directions back to Dover.. 😀

Mister-P
    Free Member

Dover’s that way

5plusn8
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t call you a dick. I would say perhaps you might consider that you may have reacted in the wrong way.
    It is best to ride thinking the trails are for everyone and it is safer to be able to stop if there is an obstacle or an injured rider on the course.
    I often stop and show my kids a good line choice, we always watch out for riders and stop adjacent tot he trail, but sometimes people shout at us. The kids thank them for their advice and they normally move on.
    Peace out.

tomd
    Free Member

just an idea??

Yep, I ride quite a lot. I used to ride Swinley often when I stayed in Berkshire 10 years ago, so I can kind of sympathise with you in that the trails can get really busy and it can get frustrating. I guess it’s only got busier as the trails are more restricted now.

Think of the positive though, my current trails up north are so quiet that if you had a bad crash you’d be eaten by badgers before anyone found you. At Swinley you’d be found and airlifted away in 10 minutes.

kelron
    Free Member

Everyone’s focusing on you being a dick to children and foreigners, but I need to ask – what’s wrong with wearing jeans and hoodies?

Scamper
    Free Member

OP, are you talking about Red 15? The only cross over I can think of is at the bottom when it flattens out – the trail pixies recently put two berms there, I presume to slow people down.

mark90
    Free Member

what’s wrong with wearing jeans and hoodies?

Only noobs and chavs ride in jeans and hoodies*

(* not illustrated)

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

scud – Member
    I think everyone at BOB club

Ah I’d assumed Bob was some Neolithic trail builder.

jamesoz

I’ll tell you what is annoying about Swinley. Litter, un-controlled dogs and dog shit.

DezB
    Free Member

the trail pixies recently put two berms there, I presume to slow people down.

Berms to slow people down… interesting.

I’ll tell you what is annoying about Swinley

The prices in the cafe 😉

Goldigger
    Free Member

Reading the thread title “Annoying things at my local trail centre”

Maybe the OP is the the owner?

thomthumb
    Free Member

eastern Europeans dressed in jeans and hoodies wanted directions back to the car park.

This makes me mad; coming over here and taking our directions! 😈

Goldigger
    Free Member

And buying our jeans and hoodies

Scamper
    Free Member

Dez, before it was a slight downhill fast straight exit across a fire road which you could take off on. Now its two tight berms.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Annoying things at my local trail centre’ is closed to new replies.