Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • Annoying things at my local trail centre
  • kenniboi
    Free Member

I’ve been riding Swinley for some 15 odd years .I’ve built some of the trails with the BoB lot. I can say I know most of it off by heart.
    Sunday I nearly had a punch up with 2 dad riders standing in the middle of a trail ,the downhilly bit from the reservoir, they were standing in the middle of a crossover with their 10 year old daughter
    I just missed hitting them by inches, so I shouted at them ‘get off the trail!!’ their response was to shout arsehole at me….. it nearly kicked off !!
    than last night two eastern Europeans dressed in jeans and hoodies wanted directions back to the car park. They were clearly clueless as to which way to go. I’m now thinking there’s a new unwritten rule which tells me ………..
    don’t go there on a Sunday you’ll be either held up by the gangs of mum and dad and 3 kids. or beaten up by dads not using any kind of common sense.
    just ignore anyone that asks you directions….

jamesmio
    Free Member

If you bump into an asshole one day, meh; you met an asshole.

If EVERYONE you meet are assholes….

robz400
    Free Member

I just missed hitting them by inches, so I shouted at them ‘get off the trail!!’ their response was to shout arsehole at me….. it nearly kicked off !!

I believe the only unwritten rule is don’t be a dick. I feel you may have fallen foul of this by miles!

You’re riding around a popular family trial centre shouting at kids and then trying to fight their dad….

Goldigger
    Free Member

Between the lot of you, you were a great example in front of the “10” year old girl. I would have stopped and pointed out there in harms way.
    What’s wrong with someone asking for directions? Not everyone has been riding there as much as you and as a result not familiar with directions.
    Bet if it was a fit female you would have given her directions, or even let her ride along with you.

tomhoward

*awaits ‘shoulda been prepared to stop’ comments*

Not sure of your issue with folk asking directions, or why them being Eastern European makes any odds?

dawson

#fridaytrollisobvious

matt_outandabout

The dad’s, meh, you come across as a bit of a plum too.
    The folk asking directions, you really do come across as a prize plum.

samcheese
    Free Member

Your pointing out the lads in hoodies were “Eastern European” is very telling.

scaredypants

Your pointing out the lads in hoodies were “Eastern European” is very telling.

Yeah, coming over here; not finding our trails …

tomd
    Free Member

Bloody ethnics, coming here and riding our trails etc etc.

Did you check they were actually Eastern European and not Central European? They’re the worst kind, you have to be sure.

TBH you sound like a bit of a entitled fud. Yes maybe they weren’t standing in the best place but they’d taken the effort to get their kid out riding. You could have always had a chat with them and explained the potential danger and given some encouragement.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Annoying things at a local trail centre

People.
    Bikes.
    People riding bikes.
    The fact it’s your local and you once used a spade there does’nt make it ‘yours’ any more than it does someone from ‘eastern europe’.
    2/10 no capitals (extra point for Britain first).

nickc

you sound delightful OP, well done 😐

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve been riding Swinley for some 15 odd years

Sounds like you might need to ask directions to finally find your out, you must be exhausted, that’s a long stint.

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve been riding Swinley for some 15 odd years

Sounds like you might need to ask directions to finally find your out, you must be exhausted, that’s a long stint.

P-Jay
    Free Member

OP seems to have developed a sense of ownership over this local trails. (Been riding here 15 years, dug with my own hands etc).

Hell, as they say, is other people, but they’ve got the same right to use them as you. I also get annoyed by people who block trails, happens all the time in summer near me, groups of lads (usually) used to having their local wood to themselfs arrive at Cwmcarn for their road trip weekender and don’t really adapt stop en mass on hairpins or to look at a rock or something, it’s annoyingly but they’ll usually move when they see you coming.

Have to admit when I’m riding with my kids I’ll block the trail, but most people smile and say hi when they see I’m introducing a child to our sport.

I suspect your “missed by inches” line was hyperbolic, I’ve never been to Swinley, but I suspect it’s not a WC level DH venue, if you can’t see another rider on the trial ahead you’re either riding with your eyes glued to the front wheel, or you should check your brake pads.

jekkyl

bloody foreigners coming over riding our trail centres.

hooli

For me it is people who think they own the trails because they have ridden there for longer than others or helped with a shovel some time ago.

kelron
    Free Member

I was driving the other day, came round a corner and found 2 cyclists in front of me. I managed to avoid them but they tried to start a fight when I stopped to yell at them. Some people are just assholes, what can you do about it.

P-Jay
    Free Member

kelron – Member
    I was driving the other day, came round a corner and found 2 cyclists in front of me. I managed to avoid them but they tried to start a fight when I stopped to yell at them. Some people are just assholes, what can you do about it.

Is that you Ronnie?

giantalkali
    Free Member

You should Czech yourself, I’m sure the lads didn’t Armenia any harm, maybe you should go a bit Slovakia.

wallop

Well isn’t this going well 😆

simondbarnes

I believe the only unwritten rule is don’t be a dick. I feel you may have fallen foul of this by miles!

Very much this

CheesybeanZ

kenniboi – Member
    Saw two ebike noobs last weekend at Swinley
    Brand new matching jackets and bikes

Could have been worse ,European dads in hoodies .

mark d
    Free Member

Maybe you should wear a badge to show how important you are.
    If you come across me and my kids happily enjoying ‘your’ trails then I suggest a happy ‘hello, good afternoon ‘ even if we are in the way.

mark90
    Free Member

Were they on e-bikes?

tomhoward

Could have been worse ,European dads in hoodies

Or, worse, from The North.

nealglover
    Free Member

just ignore anyone that asks you directions….

Dick.

kenniboi
    Free Member

thanks lads I must be a dick then

Yak

#fridaytrollisobvious

+1

Speshpaul

SinglEReichworld anyone?

kenniboi
    Free Member

firstly you lot have exaggerated my ownership of an trails
    I’m just a bloke with a bike.
    secondly the dads with the daughter were at the bottom of a trail that most riders would be doing around 15–18 mph
    if id hit the daughter at that speed who knows what would happen. I literally had to yank my bars to miss them!!

And these trails are listed as RED
    or for experienced riders
    if they want to take the kids riding stay on the kids trails

“I suspect your “missed by inches” line was hyperbolic, I’ve never been to Swinley, but I suspect it’s not a WC level DH venue, if you can’t see another rider on the trial ahead you’re either riding with your eyes glued to the front wheel, or you should check your brake pads.”
    your’e wrong actually its a red trail and designated downhill course

shortcut

Welcome to the real world sir. If it is only recently that you have learned there are folk that do stupid things then you have clearly missed a lot in life. Yes – there are a lot of folk that are not entirely competent with the English Language – it happens in a multicultural society.

As for failing to control your speed to such an extent that you are able to slow down for any obstacles – this clearly is a lesson well learnt. Congratulations on that one.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

its a red trail and designated downhill course

Swinley red is one of the tamest red trails in the country, and one of the busiest.
    You’ve got to expect some inexperienced people and be aware they might be blocking a trail.

nealglover
    Free Member

thanks lads I must be a dick then

Based purely on what you have said in this thread, that certainly seems very likely.

kenniboi
    Free Member

Swinley red is one of the tamest red trails in the country, and one of the busiest.
    You’ve got to expect some inexperienced people and be aware they might be blocking a trail.

yeah for sure

went down the same trail last night at the same speed saw no one
    from now on stay away from Swinley on sundays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jam-bo

seems a fair assessment.

kenniboi
    Free Member

Based purely on what you have said in this thread, that certainly seems very likely.

**** you

nickc

OP, it’s swinley, it’s the most popular spot for a huge density of population. I’ve ridden there a few times over the years, and pretty much every time you had to be on your guard for (in no particular order)

1. wee kids dashing about having fun, not really caring or looking where they’re going
    2. Mad spaniels trying to keep up with 1.
    3. dithery mums pushing empty push chairs having a natter with each other not really paying much attention to 1 or 2
    4. Mad keen MTB bloke and their keen wife/son/daughter
    5. Mad keen MTB bloke and his reluctant wife/son/daughter
    6. People who are lost
    7. Hoards of fast local groups on mountain bikes getting pee’d off with 1 through 6 above
    8. Horse riders who think they own the place
    9. Runners who think they own the place
    10. Random running/horsey/mountain bike events
    11. Rangers who tell you you’re not supposed to be here
    12. Doggers.
    13. thieves in the CP

Go to the Chilterns, it’s much quieter

Mister-P
    Free Member

from now on stay away from Swinley on sundays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like it’s worth avoiding altogether.

richmtb

And these trails are listed as RED

Whoa! You never said it was a “RED”

Good work OP it’s good that no one died

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Annoying things at my local trail centre’ is closed to new replies.