Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Annoying injuries
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

Anyone else suffering with an annoying injury at the moment? OK, I know all injuries are annoying, but I mean something minor that interferes with your riding, not something like a broken leg.

I had a bit of a mishap whilst surfing 3 weeks ago and bent my left thumb back pretty hard. I can grip the bar OK now but every tiny lump, bump, pebble and pothole jars it which detracts from the pleasure of riding. What you all got?

sharkattack

I was in a shunt in a car way back in August and got whiplash. I didn’t realise whiplash was a real thing but it bloody hurt and took a few months of physio to loosen everything up and get a normal range of movement back.

Still, if I turn my head too fast or too far I can feel something ‘yank’ in my neck. It feels like someone tugging a rope attached to my skull and it can be a real shock. It would probably detract from the pleasure of riding if my bike wasn’t just gathering dust. Actually leaving the house on a bike seems unthinkable at the minute. Not just because of my neck but it’s a handy excuse.

IHN

I went paintballing on Saturday. Repeated ‘crouch in wet mud then running in rigger boots through wet mud’ has done nothing for my 45 year old hamstrings.

Poopscoop

Torn rotator cuff last April.

Physio is now a daily routine.

Slowly getting there though.👍

submarined
    Free Member

Oof, did the thumb thing last year, took bloody ages to stop twinging. You have my sympathy.

Smacked my foot on a stump at the weekend. Can’t get my riding shores (road or MTB) on without it squidging it and hurting. Grumpy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My back is fecked at the moment. Has been for about 3 weeks but almost better now.

Kinda hoping that loosing weight will help with the actual avoiding part, I figure that 75kg landing on whatever bodypart will hurt a lot less than 115kg, similarly my knees might last longer if they’re pushing less weight uphill.

My thumb isn’t quite right even years later!

richard678

Impinged rotator cuff caused back in September, after a stupid crash. Constant dull pain. Hurts like hell while out on the bike. Keeps me awake at night. Physio has helped.

Poopscoop

richard678

Impinged rotator cuff caused back in September, after a stupid crash. Constant dull pain. Hurts like hell while out on the bike. Keeps me awake at night. Physio has helped.

That’s a bit crappy mate. My shoulder kept me awake for the first week or so but after that it calmed down a bit.

Even riding isn’t very painful. It’s just that with the shoulder being unstable and moving around the thought of crashing makes we cringe! So… Only Zwifting till Spring.

iainc

shoulder reconstruction end of November, most tendons and nerves damaged, broken humerus, now 3 big bolts, daily physio and still weak and very limited range. Thankfully have been allowed to drive for the past week, and also done a few turbo sessions. My work trousers seem to have got very tight…..

riding a bike outside remains a distant dream, summer time hopefully…

retro83
    Free Member

Hurt my right elbow tendons somehow. Annoyingly painful when trying to do stuff you wouldn’t even normally notice needing to put in any effort, e.g. picking up a tin of beans, putting a jar back into a cupboard etc. Thankfully only seems to really hurt when grabbing larger items so **** is unaffected.

Keva
    Free Member

did my ribs in just before christmas after clipping my handlebars on some railings. Am just starting to ride again, do a bit of yoga and running is getting better. Still hurts a bit in the mornings and I seem to have developed tight glute-medius /lower back /hip pain from when I couldn’t move around very well. Spending any spare few minutes I have foam rollering and stretching trying to fend the pain off!!

Mister-P
    Free Member

shoulder reconstruction end of November, most tendons and nerves damaged, broken humerus, now 3 big bolts

Your definition of minor is quite different to mine. Sounds nasty!

DickBarton

Large rock rolled on my hand whilst trailbuilding…squashed hand and done damage and a broken index finger.

2.5 weeks ago…finger still swollen but I can now almost straighten or close my finger – no biking as rest of hand still tender.

Never mind the biking…doing trousers up or tying shoelaces is a real challenge.

Absolutely raging at how inconvenient it is!

chakaping
    Free Member

There was the time I had raging Emma Freuds, so that sitting down on the saddle was like getting a red hot poker up the jacksie.

Slightly annoying that.

nick1962
    Free Member

Tweaked a muscle in my left arse cheek loading the car with stuff for the tip,gluteus something or other I imagine.Absolutely murdered and I was part way through putting up a garden fence and a general garden hard landscaping project.Sitting down felt like sitting with a large stone in my back pocket.Just as it’s been getting better I’ve now managed to knacker it 3 more times.Kicking out a tree stump,slipping on mossy flagstone and yesterday had a minor off on the MTB and put my left leg out to regain control…ouch!

TiRed

piriformis compression of the sciatic nerve (tight jeans and crossed legs on an aeron chair), followed by falling off the e-skateboard whilst staionary in the kitchen (I was stationary and the board whizzed off!). Hip is tender! Elbow is tender. Nothing broken.

franko777

Yeah, likewise, piriformis/deep gluteal syndrome for about three years. Just seem to go around in circles with physios/doctors.

argee

Hip impingement, similar to Andy Murray, no cartilage left so mechanical injury now, gets pretty bad at times, but the usual is just a real discomfort around the hip and arse when riding, just have to get out the saddle from time to time and stretch a bit and live with the pain.

My knee also causes me a bit of annoyance when riding, had a bad one 6 months ago, collarbone broken in 3 places, shoulder dislocated causing the rotator cuff damage and a couple of ribs, but on landing i must have smacked the knee on something, as it had a hole in it to the kneecap, still not got the feeling back on half the knee, and it feels weird during rides from time to time, just like a bit of the knee goes to sleep which isn’t nice!

breadcrumb

Week before Christmas I twisted/bent down to pick up my 3yo daughter and I felt my lower rib/s roll under the upper ones. Bloody sore/uncomfortable for a few weeks and can still feel something not quite right now.

tomhoward

I have a 1 to 3x1mmish nick on the ball of my foot, meaning I can’t put a lot of pressure through it, for fear of making it worse/it getting infected/losing half my foot. It has almost but not quite healed for getting on for a year now.

And a frozen right shoulder. Hurts to turn the night light off at night 🙁

MoreCashThanDash

Ooh – talk to me about pirifimis related sciatica!

Had it for a month now – right calf completely useless and a numb foot. Can’t put any weight/power through that pedal, tried to stand on the pedal to get up a slope and my foot just flopped

muddylegs
    Free Member

Mister P I suffered exactly the same thumb injurie doing a turtle roll with my long board last Sept. It took quite a few years before I could start to use my dropper lever again!

muddylegs
    Free Member

Weeks! Not years?! Blinking phone!!

jam-bo

I had a bit of a mishap whilst surfing 3 weeks ago and bent my left thumb back pretty hard.

Look on the bright side, mate of mine got his finger caught in his leash a few years back bailing on a big day. Chopped the end clean off…

epicyclo

Still got sore rib from the ‘Puffer last weekend, but at least now I can lift stuff without sounding pathetic.

timbog160

Knee ligaments which I tore at the first WES round last year at Foel Gasnach. Annoyingly I’d just signed off from my private health, having reached the point of 99% recovery when I landed awkwardly while paint balling over the Christmas break. This led to a major aggravation and I now have a knee like a melon with 3 weeks to go before my first ski holiday in 10 years!

Also had rotator cuff injury caused by climbing but stopped climbing last year and this now feels totally recovered so would like this to get back to some rock bimbling.

Klunk
    Free Member

scrotum spots are annoying.

timmycee
    Free Member

Deep breath..

Left wrist: broken twice. Once around 10 years old. Again around 15. Sprained at least thrice. Now alerts me to changes in weather more accurately than any forecast app.

Shoulders: Left broken in an over the bars, front flip and land on a tree stump incident. Still stiff 20 years on. Right rotator cuff tear about 8 years ago. Both need daily stretching.

Pretty serious dislocation of my ring finger on left hand about 7 years ago. Similar barometer function as left wrist. Have dislocated nearly all of them through the years at least a couple of times. Hands get pretty stiff and sore in the cold. Was never that good at barspins evidently.

Rolled both ankles multiple times over the years, they crunch pretty nicely from time to time.

Spending your teens racing DH followed by 15 years of BMX hooliganism has taken it’s toll but a lot of fun was had!

senorj

I’ve had a knot in my rectus femoris (fnar fnar) for a week or two. If I don’t stretch enough after a good ride it locks up and is like a slow motion cramp & I can’t move my leg without discomfort for a day.
    Plus a really annoying saddle sore/ingrown hair that no amount of squeezing was going to burst…until I missed the pothole. Sweet relief. 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

For those of you with thumb issues, try riding with your thumbs over the bars (or even get “TOGS”) to give them a rest when on non technical sections. It doesn’t help when you need to grip the bars going down something technical, but does allow you to ride further before they start hurting over every little bump.

cogwomble
    Free Member

Impinged rotator cuff at the moment, saw someone about it earlier in the week, been referred to physio today.

Constant aches. Painful enough to keep me off the bike right now, and it’s disturbing my sleep..

I’ve got my first physio appointment lined up for the 20th of Feb, currently to keep me pedalling I’ve been trying to use the turbo trainer.

richard678

Cogwomble – feel your pain, literally..
    Try leaning over, supporting your weight on the good arm and rotate bad arm in big circles, as it hangs loose, for as long as you can manage. Listen to the clicking and clunking noises.
    I found it the best exercise for me..

cogwomble
    Free Member

Cogwomble – feel your pain, literally..
    Try leaning over, supporting your weight on the good arm and rotate bad arm in big circles, as it hangs loose, for as long as you can manage. Listen to the clicking and clunking noises.
    I found it the best exercise for me..

It makes all sorts of grinding and popping when I do that at the moment, the woman I saw had me doing that.

It got quite hot after that, but did start to feel a bit better for a while, then I rested it and it felt bad all over again.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Annoying injuries’ is closed to new replies.