• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by daern.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Annoying click, defo BB?
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

my souls 1000 miles old now, no annoying clunks or clicks until this week where I’ve got an annoying click when pedalling.

it happens when I’m out of the saddle as well as in, stops when I freewheel.

Reckon BB for sure?

anytjing else I can check?

Cheers in asvance

flashpaul
    Free Member

Chain ring bolts , saddle rails for starters

jekkyl

Pedals? Easy check to swap for another bikes pedals or a mates. Grease up all contact points at axles and mech hanger, make sure mech hanger is tight on. Check cables in the stays. And yes check the BB, easy job to change and relatively cheap.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

No chain ring bolts as it’s race face turbine and the crank arm holds the chainring in place.

I’ll try the saddle rails and pedals but would this happen if I haven’t taken these off or messed with them?

jekkyl

Yes. All bearings wear over time.. You’ve never had to replace the pedals before? I’ve got a box full of old pedals…I don’t know why I keep them.

fossy

What BB – either bearing wear, or could be not quite to the correct torque.  GXP creak if you haven’t really tightened them up – re-greased mine and did them up tight, but not tight enough as it said 50nm or similar, which is bloody tight if using an allen key.

Squirrel

Give it a couple of days. It will probably stop 🤔

Poopscoop

The rule is this:

Whatever part you think is causing the clicking won’t be the part that IS actually causing it.

That’s a rule of thumb that seems to be the case for me anyway….

twowheels
    Free Member

Dab of the rear brake at speed while listening carefully to rule out loose spoke(s)?

My Arkose creaked under power after around 1500 miles that turned out to be the bad stock wheel build.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I had an annoying creak for ages on a bike, went through all the bits greasing/replacing. Finally worked out it was a rear QR with a bit of grit in it amplifying up the rear suspension.

Admittedly it was an Orange 5 so that slab of alloy did amplify everything…

robbie
    Free Member

My money is on the back wheel qr needing a slight tighten. Had this a couple of times.

timidwheeler

Change the pedals over. Its almost always play in the pedal bearings.

gkeeffe

I reckon pedals – or front lower suspension pivot…

garage-dweller

Doubt it’s a suspension pivot on a Soul.

Just done the BB bearings on my Camber and it’s click be gone (I think). Not before I’d bought some nice new NS bikes pedals just to be sure it wasn’t the old DX ones creaking obviously. 😀

jonnyboi

Whatever part you think is causing the clicking won’t be the part that IS actually causing it.

Unless its a PF BB.  Seeing as they are almost all universally shit, it’s usually my first part to check

rOcKeTdOg

anti seize on the pedal threads? lots of the mysterious BB freaks we investigate are caused dry pedal threads with a little corrosion on them

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Cheers for all this. Got an early finish today before going to rivvy, I’ll get the grease and tools out when I’m home. Want it gone by Saturday when I’m doing a big ride in Yorkshire.

beer247
    Free Member

Yep, I had this a few months back

It stopped when I cleaned and lightly greased the B.B. threads and tightened up to torque.

Check your pedals are tightened up to the correct torque as well and add a dab of grease.

daern
    Free Member

My last click that I was certain was either BB or, possibly saddle-rails / seatpost turned out to be…

…headset bearings! Or, more specifically, them moving fractionally on the seats. I packed the whole lot in with the thickest grease in the garage and tightened it all up as firmly as it would take and it went away.

This always seems to be worse on plastic bikes – any noise seems to echo around the frame and be nearly impossible to track down. You’d have thought that a bike would be a trivial thing to find a noise on, but I’ve been stumped a time or two. The one before that was rattly valve stems, which I was sure was a rogue loose spoke (at least that one sounded like it was coming from the wheel!)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Annoying click, defo BB?’ is closed to new replies.