Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ankle braces
  • Any good? Got a weak ankle…..which one shall I get?

Lactic
    Free Member

No good.
    Imagine the force your weight, with the leverage of your height, exerts on your ankle ligaments. Strapping bits of plastic on the outside will make bugger all difference to the stability of the joint.
    You need either reconstruction (rare) or physio and mobilisation.

Andy Murray wore one and I’m taking his medical expertise pool is maybe a bit more extensive than mine

Just saying like

glupton1976
    Free Member

Got a weak ankle

– strengthen it.

Physio really is that simple.

scaredypants

I have shit ankles and used to tape them solid for footy etc but have never felt the need to do so for biking. Is it prevention of sprains or something else ou’re after ?

Lactic
    Free Member

Ok. get the one he wears then. Hope it helps…. 🙄

glupton1976
    Free Member

Also – you are not Andy Murray, and you are not an elite athlete who can earn a lot of money by taping/splinting themselves up and playing through pain during a finite career. You also dont have any of Andy Murrays abnormalities that lead to him wearing a brace.

It’s a broken ankle(about 3 months ago) and I’m worried about it getting worse but yeah I’ve not done any physio..any tips? Walkings ok but it’s sore on the bike…thought some support would help

glupton1976
    Free Member

Get a couple of cushions – stick them on the floor and stand on them on your dodgy foot for a start. Build it up to longer time and wobblier objects. Look up some ankle ramge of movement exercises.

Pick a point in this lot and fill your boots. http://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/orthopedicsandpt/ss/anklerehab.htm

Aw sum ta…still waiting on my NHS phys appt…….

glupton1976
    Free Member

Phone them and see if they have any cancelled appointments.

Will do thanks

mulv1976
    Free Member

Ankle supports have their uses but are no good long term. Wear one whenever you do any activity that may cause increased stress or risk of re-injury eg running, football etc

At the same time you should be doing strengthening exercises regularly (daily) through range of motion with a theraband (look on YouTube) and also some proprioception (balance/muscle reaction) exercises eg. Stand on one leg, close eyes or use a wobble/rocker board.

It will take time. Biking will help increase strength and flexibility as theres not too much inversion/eversion of the ankle which is what usually causes re-injury. Unless you get trapped in your cleats and fall on it like I did last week… 🙂

mulv1976
    Free Member

Don’t bother waiting for an nhs physio…

Once strong/stable ditch the support.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ankle braces’ is closed to new replies.