Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ankle brace recommendations?
  • droplinked

As per the title can anyone recommend an ankle brace for MTB riding?

After something that can give my dusty ankles some support, a bit of protection, and still give mobility and control.

Tend to get aches, especially on my right, after longer rougher rides or when doing drops and jumps (badly).

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Would it not be better to work on strengthening your ankles and working through a solution, rather than doing something that will only weaken your ankles and cause more problems in the long run?

Braces etc should only be used for rehab etc. Long term only makes problems worse

droplinked

I have and do work on it, but it’s weak point following years of abuse from footy, rugby, and skateboarding, and more recently running and riding. I’m not getting any younger.

I’ve used normal and those sticky bandages to strap it up to good effect before, but they are a bit crap when they get twisted or wet, so after something more fit for purpose.

I’d rather get something relatively easy to put on, which means I’ll actually use it, and wear it more of a preventative measure.

I’ve learned the hard way with my knees that it’s better to wear protection and not need it, rather than wait for a more serious injury.

butcher

I’d echo the above somewhat. It depends on the cause of the problem of course and it might well be the right thing for you, but adding support will generally lead to further weakness and make the problem worse over time.

steel4real
    Free Member

I’ll actually answer the OP’s question rather than try and give them advice.

I’ve used one of the McDavid ones on my weaker ankle for years (8 at least now), it’s had a few repairs and I’ve got the current version as back up;-

like this one

keefezza
    Free Member

I see a lot of professional riders using the spacebrace.
    Don’t need one myself but looks to be up to the job.

droplinked

Thanks @steel4real

That looks very similar to the ‘space brace’ one a mate suggested, but far cheaper – cheers

Edit: and @keefezza

whitestone
    Free Member

I had a dodgy ankle, I’d over-pronated, and a friend recommended a particular ankle brace that at the time was only available directly from the States. Looking around it seems very similar to the Mueller Lite Ankle Brace. Really good for side to side stability without really affecting fore-aft motion, The first time I wore it was for a two day mountain marathon fell running event and didn’t get any rubbing or schafing.

t3ap0t
    Free Member

I use a mcdavid one similar to the above link for football and have for nearly ten years. Once you’ve softened it up for a couple of hours you forget it’s there. They are quite bulky though, when I’ve tried to wear it with SPD’s to get to football I’ve not been able to get the shoe on and need to go up half a size in football boots.

rjmccann101

I used the Aircast A60 for 2-3 months over the summer when my ankle started playing up. Was fine with all my cycling shoes (flats and clips) and walking boots and didn’t really notice I was wearing it most of the time. It is showing a little bit of wear now – but it was given a fair bit of abuse both on the bike and walking in the Lakes.

ThePilot
    Free Member

I used a mueller ankle brace with laces and straps when I played football.
    Not the nicest thing to wear but after rolling my ankle, ending up in a&e and spending the next two weeks on crutches, I felt it was worth.
    As somebody else said, it does take up a fair bit of room in your boot.

droplinked

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Plenty there I’ve not found via googling, so got some choices.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ankle brace recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.