Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Animal identification, scottish highlands.
  • boriselbrus
    Free Member

Apart from the tail it sounds like a beaver.

duckman

I discounted beaver because there is nothing for a beaver to eat there and I could see the tail quite clearly, it started reasonably close and I stopped and watched it. Never stopped running even when it had distanced me then went up the glen side into where a burn cut the hill with a couple of scrubby trees. It was on the path off Ciste Dubh,lots of water but the main burn is no more than 4 feet at its widest.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I beg to differ on size – I’ve seen a couple of Pine Martin’s that were rather large – one at Carron Valley, one in Glen Clova

Agreed, And while i fully agree they aren’t anywhere even near the size of a badger they are definitely not big enough to fit through a letterbox! And they fall into the “thats a hella big,odd looking animal” category.

They can also appear quite fluffy which makes them look kinda chubby and squat.

Thats my position on the matter. Its a bit of a stretch that it actually is a pine arten though I’ll admit i didn’t really read the OP that thoroughly to start with.

Have a picture of a baby pine marten I found on the internet to show no hard feelings.

MoreCashThanDash

They can also appear quite fluffy which makes them look kinda chubby and squat.

Must remember, I am fluffy, not fat….

andrewh
    Free Member

Ginger/grubby badger.
    A ginger one might not be that odd, I once saw a tabby fox and there’s plenty of green pheasants about

gecko76
    Sandwich

@gecko76 Not a sense of?

Drac

Not The Badger.

Houns

As Haggis has already been suggested then I’ll submit…..

A young Muntjac

/thread

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have seen ginger badgers before. I had a very similar encounter with a badger at about 700m altitude in the bowl at the top of the Allt Ruadh, Glen Feshie, when we disturbed a badger at close range and it bolted, then did not stop. Pretty ungainly in deep heather. The two idiots on mountain bikes weren’t doing any better…

Drac

Is the muntjac on it’s holidays in Scotland?

Houns

Yes, always got their suitcases ready

https://www.antler.co.uk/

Scapegoat

https://www.mammal.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Muntiacus-reevesi_cropped.jpg

If you check this map from the UK mammal org. You’ll see there are indeed reported pockets of muntjac in Scotland……

However, it’s also widely believed amongst certain demographics that this is down to mis-identification, false reporting or even practical jokers dropping off carcasses at roadsides as a bit of a wheeze.

ernielynch

even practical jokers dropping off carcasses at roadsides as a bit of a wheeze.

Some people are right jokers.

Oh how they must have laughed!

pk13

Well I saw a muntjac 2 actually on the m6 on Thursday maybe hutch hiking.

duckman

Legs too short, I am going with ginger badger as it couldn’t be a wolverine. Just the weirdest thing. I have been mooching about the Highlands and wild camping for a long time and have never seen anything like it.

Drac

However, it’s also widely believed amongst certain demographics that this is down to mis-identification, false reporting or even practical jokers dropping off carcasses at roadsides as a bit of a wheeze.

Yeah seems very unlikely that there’d be no sightings until those small pockets, I have heard they’re appearing further north but certainly not Scotland.

IdleJon

Well I saw a muntjac 2 actually on the m6 on Thursday maybe hutch hiking.

Nah, that would be a rabbit, surely?

alric
    Free Member

stretched rabbit?

pk13

Lots of flat rabbits on the m6.
    The deer where around again today so it’s not those in Scotland.

maccruiskeen

A young Muntjac

Reported for posting an unsolicited Dik-dik

DickBarton

Aware this is now old but just stopped in at Cross keys in Ettrickbridge and by the first is a stuffed white/ginger badger…
    I’m hoping it is stuffed as I’m not planning on sharing any food or drink with it.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.