Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Animal clothing no more!
  • Premier Icon oldfart

I always gravitated to their stuff as they were actively supporting MTBing the Atherton to name three, products were good quality and not horrendously expensive. I’ve still got a ” Warmer than a layer of lard” sweatshirt, bought in Looe I agonised over paying £35 for it and it’s reversible FFS! Nice blue fleece one side denim look the other.
    As for looking ” tragic” or ” trying too hard” I’m 65 still wearing hoodies, denim jeans ( without elasticated waist!) skate shoes or DMs I think I’ve past through that ” what will other people think of me” phase although I don’t think I ever let it bother me 😬

Premier Icon Freester
    Free Member

I always remember the ads in the back of the Windsurfing magazines for the Animal watchstraps. Mid 80s I guess. Cartoon of a skinny guy arm wrestling a Gorilla. ‘He may break your wrist but not your watchstrap’.

I had a couple of Animal watchstraps.

Premier Icon IdleJon

As for looking ” tragic” or ” trying too hard” I’m 65 still wearing hoodies, denim jeans ( without elasticated waist!) skate shoes or DMs I think I’ve past through that ” what will other people think of me” phase although I don’t think I ever let it bother me 😬

So am I, at this moment! (Although I’m a bit younger at 52.) My comments were based on the brand snobbery, rather than the actual clothing. I was amused at my footwear being tragic.

Premier Icon racefaceec90
    Free Member

all you need now is for bula to come back and etto and you will all be set 👍😁

(i was too poor to have any bula stuff or an etto helmet).

i did have an animal fabric wallet though but it died unfortunately.

Premier Icon 10

I had a few hoodies and t shirts from Animal. No watches / straps though. I’ve still got a sweater and a t-shirt now. The t-shirt has gone a funny shape, so I only keep it for nostalgia.

and etto and you will all be set

I used to have an Etto toxic waste helmet. I imagine that got thrown away a long time ago! Had a weird fit.

Premier Icon munrobiker
    Free Member

They were owned by Madison (well, the people that own Madison – H Young) – if you want some present day Animal gear a lot of it was just the same as Madison’s stuff rebranded.

Premier Icon zilog6128

As for looking ” tragic” or ” trying too hard” I’m 65 still wearing hoodies, denim jeans ( without elasticated waist!) skate shoes or DMs

my comments about “tragic” fashion were entirely aimed at once-great brands now sold off & run by bean-counters rather than enthusiasts! You can be tragic whatever your age, that has nothing to do with it 😉

Premier Icon oldfart

Thanks zilog with you re bean counters , they sound the death knell wherever they go 🙁 should wear a cloak and carry a scythe ☠️

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

Maybe I’m not old enough but I’m not sure they were ever cool were they?

Premier Icon eddiebaby

Maybe I’m not old enough but I’m not sure they were ever cool were they?

Come on then, list us a few cool brands then.
    I always had doubts about brands you could buy without having to travel to a different continent.
    Maybe Aussies and Hawaiians felt the same about Fat Willy’s and Animal as we did about Billabong and Hot Tuna before they had European distribution.

I still like Animal though, nice people in the Weymouth store but not been in it for a year…

Premier Icon Mister-P
    Free Member

My Animal wetsuits are great and I wished I’d bought a couple of spares while I had the opportunity. Hopefully all the staff there have found alternative employment.

Premier Icon miketually

They were my T-shirt maker of choice through sixth form and uni in the late 90s, and I had several watch straps, wallets and the 001 watch.

Their T-shirts got gradually thinner over that time, and the watch ate a battery a year.

Premier Icon jamj1974

‘Cool’ is an illusion, and for a fat 46 year old – a fantasy.

Premier Icon CountZero

I’m wearing my black Animal fleece now, I’ve been wearing the red one for some time and it could do with a wash. I love the simplicity of it, it’s just the right weight, it has a small animal text logo on the left breast in red, and the claw logo on the neck at the back, and not having cuffs as such means that there’s no elastic to stretch and sag after a couple of years. Mine have got to be twenty+ years old, possibly older, and if ME were to do new ones like them I’d buy some more in different colours. With a thin base laye and an ultralight down jacket they’re perfect for the weather at the moment.

‘Cool’ is an illusion,

It’s for interwebz influencers and daft people with more money than taste; I’ll wear what the hell I want, at 67 I’m too old and sodding cranky to put up with anyone questioning what I choose to wear – I didn’t give a shit at 17, fifty years on I’m coming up even shorter on the number of **** I couldn’t give for other peoples opinions.

Premier Icon scandywag
    Free Member

Ah Hot Tuna! I had a load of T-shirts in the 90’s that lasted for years. Pride of place went to my Bula hat, I thought I was the dogs in that! 😁

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.