Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Animal clothing no more!
  • Premier Icon duncancallum

Well I didn’t know they’d gone bust.

A brand always associated with the 90s bike scene.

I lived in my animal Tshirt or Rox shirts and always wanted an animal watch but at 14 I spent all my cash on anodized shit.

Loved the animal stall at fort bill as well.

Sad news

Premier Icon hot_fiat

Didn’t they close a year ago?

Premier Icon zilog6128

Shame, definitely gone a bit Fat Face/Old Guys Rule in recent years though, v cool in the 90s/early 2000s of course!

Premier Icon dovebiker

Given they started out in the 80s making watch straps from velcro, they’ve probably had a good run.

Premier Icon prawny

The brand has been bought by Mountain Warehouse so fingers crossed it gets resurrected something like the old days.

I used to love the eBay shop, some right bargains on there abs good quality too, I’m currently wearing a hoodie that I’ve worn to death for the last 7 or 8 years, it’s tatty as hell but I love it.

Premier Icon Alpha1653

For what it’s worth, the two guys who established Animal and designed the watches are now the guys behind Elliot Brown watches.

Premier Icon djflexure
    Free Member

I had a few of those smelly Velcro watch straps – happy memories!

Premier Icon Kuco

Had many a t-shirt, watch straps and still got some Animal jeans.

Premier Icon Superficial
    Free Member

I was sooo chuffed with my bright yellow Animal bag I had for school. It’s now the bag I take to the climbing wall. Good memories, but very much this:

definitely gone a bit Fat Face/Old Guys Rule in recent years

Premier Icon andysmiff1
    Free Member

Rising from the ashes!

Mountain Warehouse – Animal

Edit – beaten to it by Prawny!

Premier Icon dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Premier Icon
    djflexure
    Free Member

I had a few of those smelly Velcro watch straps – happy memories!

Mine always smelt like salt and vinegar crisps

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Free Member

I always got sent samples of the watch straps and then when the clothes came out I was sent a bag of T-Shirts, I still have some of the first run and they are holding their shape and the colours are not too faded, well at least they’re doing better than me anyway.
    I got given the odd watch too.
    For some reason I never managed to wangle a free pickup truck though…
    A quick check and I have just come in from a ride wearing an Animal tee and a beanie both bought in Weymouth a year ago in the sales.
    Glad the brand is still going.

Premier Icon ads678
    Free Member

I’ve still got a watch strap. Not got a watch on it, but I’ve still got it.

Clothes had been shit for years though. They did make some great bags, maybe should have stuck to that.

Premier Icon LeeW

Got a couple of their holdalls in the loft, they’ve lasted a good 25 years, proper bits of kit.

Loved buying their clothes as a kid and finding the odd quotes on the tags, ‘Warmer than a layer of lard’ in a fleece and ‘not to be used as a bullet proof vest’ in a t-shirt.

Glad they’ve got the brand going again – not that I’d wear it these days. Fat Willy’s surf shack ftw!

Premier Icon masterdabber
    Free Member

I’ve still got the watch but not the original watch strap….I still use it as my riding watch.

Premier Icon Tracey

Still got the Surfers Against Sewage watch they did back in the day

“Animal Surfers Against Sewage watch | #541933523” https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/animal-surfers-against-sewage-watch-541933523

Premier Icon CountZero

I had a couple of their watch straps, but my favourite items are two fleeces I’ve had for donks, a red one and a black one, mid weight, very simple pullover with a short zip in the neck, and no elastic around the cuffs, and they get worn constantly, I love them to bits.
    I’ve also got two belts made by Animal, they’re styled after aircraft seatbelts, the webbing has the animal logotype woven into it, and the alloy buckle has the logo embossed into it. One’s dark green, the other black, the webbing is about 2” across, unfortunately the tab that pushes into the buckle has snapped on one of them, but if I can get hold of some decent alloy, about 3mm thick I can probably cut and file new ones.

Premier Icon winston
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those belts. Bought it on a windsurfing stag weekend in Poole sometime in 2001. Still works holding up me troosers

I remember the glory days of animal, Timo and his stupid Porsche and the Kimmerage crew

Happy days….its all foiling and kites now..

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Free Member

Some of my wildest trips I ever did were with Timo but for the real craziness Finn was the man.
    So much trouble in the Canaries, the Sinai and N Africa,

Premier Icon chakaping

I was never quite sure what they actually sold, apart from some sport sunglasses I picked up cheap from t k maxx and still use now and then for really sunny rides.

Premier Icon kimbers

Still have a watch but doesn’t work anymore, a new strap felt like a new watch!

I still have a couple I use for going down battery packs for night rides

I also bought a commuting backpack of theirs last year & it’s a very good bit of kit

Premier Icon dc1988
    Free Member

I’m still running an Animal wallet. It’s well made, leather and fits everything perfectly so I’m sticking with it. I think it’s probably at least 10 years old and could do the same again.

Premier Icon johnw1984

I wonder if my titanium Animal watch has appreciated yet? 🙂

Premier Icon chakaping

Post it in one of the watch threads and ask the experts.

😀

Premier Icon Flaperon
    Free Member

Went right off Animal years ago when they started letting Nissan etc slap their logo over the back of crap pick-up trucks driven by imbeciles.

Premier Icon wildfires3
    Free Member

Sad times! I remember waiting all year for an Animal W01 watch for Christmas. Used it for years with my MBUK velcro watch strap.

Premier Icon oikeith

Good…

I never liked Animal the UK brand, I was too BMX then and didn’t care for brands that supported other sports or were mainstream. Double downed on this when something happened between Animal Bikes and Animal UK on naming convention, think Animal Bikes had to rebrand to A-Bike Co for a period, even though Animal UK didnt actually sponsor any BMX riders.

I find the pick ups with the logo splattered on it awful too.

Premier Icon pondo

Picked one of those up years ago, my favourite watch, and I think the only watch I ever lost. 🙁 Loved Animal stuff.

Premier Icon DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Like many, had a loads of their t-shirts through the years as well as still having my original W001 watch. Good to see they’re going to keep going albeit in a genericey Mountain Warehouse way.

Premier Icon soundninjauk

I used to lust after their watches when the adverts were just a bunch of watch faces on black in MBUK. Had a couple over the years but no idea where they are now. Had some tshirts as well, still have one as my painting tshirt.

Loved buying their clothes as a kid and finding the odd quotes on the tags, ‘Warmer than a layer of lard’ in a fleece and ‘not to be used as a bullet proof vest’ in a t-shirt.

The aforementioned painting tshirt has http://www.getoutmore.co.ok as the Animal website.

Premier Icon gilesmartin81

Where do you go to get the battery changed in the Animal watches now. I used to send my Surfers Against Sewage watch direct to Animal as that’s all that the local watch shop did with a £30 admin fee.

Plus it often came back with a free keyring as a bonus.

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

The brand has been bought by Mountain Warehouse so fingers crossed it gets resurrected something like the old days.

It won’t. It’ll be cheap shite same as everything else they sell.

Went right off Animal years ago when they started letting Nissan etc slap their logo over the back of crap pick-up trucks driven by imbeciles.

It was Misubishi, yesterday’s Van ****.

Premier Icon funkmasterp

I too liked reading the washing labels in their T-shirt’s ‘Bake at Gas Mark 5’ and ‘Manufactured by Space Monkeys’ being my favourites. Managed to kill a couple of watches so ended up with a good old G-shock instead.

Premier Icon zilog6128

Glad the brand is still going.p

are you? Because wearing a MW Animal t-shirt would be deeply tragic, like buying Airwalk shoes 😀

Premier Icon gary

Where do you go to get the battery changed in the Animal watches now

I just go to local Timpsons.

Premier Icon IdleJon

Because wearing a MW Animal t-shirt would be deeply tragic, like buying Airwalk shoes

I was about to question this and realised I’m wearing Airwalk shoes. I didn’t buy them for the image they project (or don’t, it seems – I wasn’t aware they were tragic), just to cover my feet when I’m walking along pavements.

I’m not sure it’s advisable for middle aged men to buy clothes, especially sports lifestyle clothes, in an effort to project a look, a style. We just look like somebody’s weird, try-hard uncle, trying to keep up with the kids. Or, in an alternative setting, that bloke wearing Ferrari branded gear driving a Nissan Juke. 😀

Premier Icon fasthaggis

Animal tops and Hot Tuna Shorts #letsgo90s Hot Tuna

🙂 🙂

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Hot Tuna

Oh hell yes.

I have a lovely picture of me in my Hot Tuna T-shirt and mrs_oab in her Kangaroo Poo hoody on the beach…

Premier Icon aikon
    Free Member

Animal lost it’s way a long time ago, they had some issues with agent contracts back in the 90’s that affected the business, eventually becoming part of H Young (Madison).

I’ve yet to return to Mountain Warehouse since they opened near me & I realised their business model, I’ll stick to more sustainable, environmentally friendly apparel.

Premier Icon zilog6128

I’m not sure it’s advisable for middle aged men to buy clothes, especially sports lifestyle clothes, in an effort to project a look, a style.

true, especially if it’s from a high-street or industrial park based retailer that piles ’em high & sells ’em cheap 😀

Both Animal and Airwalk were started by enthusiasts, selling a product that filled a niche, both a part of and contributing to the heart of their respective scenes by sponsoring athletes, comps etc. It’s not a particularly hard river to navigate though… when the original ethos is long gone and the company sold off for the name and run by bean-counters who sell the product in discount stores, it’s time to get out 🤣 Muddy Fox might be a more relatable example!

If you’re (still) part of the scene it makes it a lot easier as you’d know what is actually cool. I generally just wear plain t-shirts these days 🤣

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.