• This topic has 23 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mtbel.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Angleset on a Bfe
  • badlydrawnchalk
    Free Member

Just wondering if anyone has done this? What with the new big wheeled version being slacker!

I’m struggling to find an angleset headset with the external bottom cup required.

warpcow
    Free Member

Works not do one? No idea about a BFe specifically but I’ve got two bikes with them and it’s made a difference for the better on both imo.

Northwind

Works will surely do one? They do everything, pretty much

zerocool

I’m not sure but didn’t Syncros or FSA do one? I might have imagined that though. I know Cane Creek made a prototype but said it was to ugly to release. It was in an edition of Dirt a few years ago.

sharkattack

I know Cane Creek made a prototype but said it was to ugly to release. It was in an edition of Dirt a few years ago.

That was for a 1 1/8th headtube. The new Bfe is 44mm

mtbel
    Free Member

Complete waste of time and money.

matther01
    Free Member

Mtbel – would have to disagree. Added a -1 degree to my bandit and it climbs just as well but feels much better on the downs. Sold the Hope headset and so it didn’t work out expensive in the end.

mtbel
    Free Member

hmmm… interesting but massively irrelevent anecdote

duir
    Free Member

Complete waste of time and money

Do you mean anglesets?

hmmm… interesting but massively irrelevant anecdote

or are you just a condescending t**t?

Anyway the works anglesets are really well made and seem to be fit and forget if you fit them correctly. A really economical way to change the handling on your bike. I think the one you need is:
    http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/10-degree-ec44—ec44-69-p.asp
    That will give you the option to run a tapered steerer or normal one with adapter.

matther01
    Free Member

Irrelevant because its not on a bfe or doesn’t meet your criteria for high standard anecdotes? 😉

At least the Works is UK made so giving back something which takes up their ‘time’ to make and pays the UK staff ‘money.’

All in all I can see no ‘waste.’

Northwind

Yes, why would you want to improve the handling of a bike? Madness!

As for waste of money, one of these is the reason I’m still knocking about on the hemlock instead of replacing it years ago- so it’d have been a waste of money not to.

mtbel
    Free Member

Are you actually sure the geometry of a Bfe is improved rather than compromised by changing it’s head angle?
    if so, please do tell us what exactly the optimum head angle should be?

and more importantly, why.

Northwind

No, I’m not absolutely sure- just as you have no idea whether it’s better or worse. Or what the OP wants it to feel like, since obviously there’s no such thing as an optimum head angle.

But I don’t need to know any of these things. Spending money to try a different thing isn’t a waste, even if it doesn’t work out. Did you know every new part you’ve ever fitted was going to be perfect?

mtbel
    Free Member

No, I’m not absolutely sure- just as you have no idea whether it’s better or worse.

That’s where you’re wrong. I actually could tell you what would be better, what would be worse and why.

Did you know every new part you’ve ever fitted was going to be perfect?

*perfect as in achieved the correct fit and geometry for me and my riding style? for the last 10 years or so, pretty much, yes.

annoyingly so.

toys19
    Free Member

gents I wouldn’t bother to reply to mtbel, he is a massive bel end troll and the alter ego of a previously banned troll..

Northwind

mtbel – Member

That’s where you’re wrong. I actually could tell you what would be better, what would be worse and why.

Oh go on then, enlighten us.

Also, ISTR that you knew for sure that you knew you didn’t want a dropper post 😉

@toys, GW is a valued contributor to the forum and certainly not a troll 😉

kelvin

No, please don’t enlighten us, just get out of the way.

kelvin

Duir’s link is useful. I think it’s straight steerer only using an angleset and 44mm headtube though.

nedrapier

GW

Thought he sounded familiar.

mtbel
    Free Member

I will explain when we ride next. it would take an essay.

my experience comes from years and years of riding 100mm fork DJ hardails as proper all rounders (ie’ everything from DJ-XC-Park-DH-Commuter) beginning over 20 years back with the norm (at the time) 71-73deg HA. then experimenting with slacker H/As right down to 62deg and coming back to what I have been riding for the last decade (not that far off the Geometry of a small Bfe with a slammed fork)
    there are plus’s and negatives of going slacker and steeper and everything is a compromise. just as going longer and shorter (front-centre and CS length) is, and BB height and of course we also have the importance of choosing appropriate compromise regarding fork length, travel and bar/stem set-up (all of this is just as important as the H/A).
    it’s a hugely interesting (to me) subject and needs discussed from the very basics up, not really worth me typing forever about for a (happily) ignorant audience such as here that’s mainly “fashion” led, naive and blinkered.

mtbel
    Free Member

My dropper has it’s uses. but has sat unfitted for 4 months. I think you have a fair idea how much I ride and how much variety there is in my riding.

Droppers do have their place.

What I always said is.. Droppers ATM are shit… and on the whole this hasn’t changed much yet.
    they are not designed very well and have nowhere near the range of travel required.

I think you’d actually agree with a lot of that even though the extremes of your riding are not the same as mine.

Northwind

mtbel – Member

I will explain when we ride next. it would take an essay

TBH chief we’re going to disagree, so I don’t need your explanation. The point was that coming into the thread and saying “This is a FACT and I could tell you why but I’m not going to” was shit.

But your answer perfectly sums up why messing around with parts isn’t a waste of time and money

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c[/video]

mtbel
    Free Member

But your answer perfectly sums up why messing around with parts isn’t a waste of time and money

That, AFAIC. Depends massively on how much the rider actually rides their bike.
    This “sport” is full of folk who change parts, frames, entire bikes far too often in search for perfection/an advantage without ever getting close to pushing the current bike/part/bike anywhere close to it’s potential or getting properly used to the bike.

There’s nothing wrong with disagreeing.
    the only FACT here is that there’s no such thing as perfect bicycle geometry. It’s all a compromise one way or another. But one thing is for sure, knocking 1 or 2deg off a Bfe’s H/A is not going to make any notable difference to it’s rider’s overall speed or ability to ride anything.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Angleset on a Bfe’ is closed to new replies.