Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Angle set headsets.
  • zippykona

Looking on Superstar and their one is 2 degrees . Is that a lot to jump in one go?
    Have they sold out of the 1 degree and all they have left is the 2 that no one wants?

julians
    Free Member

Try works components as well – they usually have a range of angles available.

Stevelol
    Free Member

They only ever have 2.

Whether that’s too much depends on your preferences, you may aswell go for the biggest change you can and if you don’t like it then get a smaller reduction from works components.

I’ve had 3 angelsets now (SS, works, ss) minus 2 degrees each time and it’s always been a plus with no negatives, my 2018 5010 has a 64 degrees head angle now with 140 fork, requires more weight on front to not have wandery steering when climbing, but it’s no bother and much more stable everywhere else.

submarined
    Free Member

I’m tempted to put a -2 on my Aeris 120. I figure I’m way too coarsely tuned to notice 1 degree!

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

We only have ever made 2 degree. I don’t really want another 60 part numbers on the shelf when demand will be minimal for minimal differences, 99% of people will go 2 degrees

All made in-house in Lincoln, we sell literally thousands of them and they have proper custom rubber seals on them so last a decent time.

Neil SuperstarComponents

1timmy1
    Free Member

I’m tempted to put a -2 on my Aeris 120. I figure I’m way too coarsely tuned to notice 1 degree!

I have a -2 on my 120LT but with 1 offset bushing to steepen so in effect -1.5 degree. It’s great, steeper seat tube angle, slacker head angle and its lifted the bb a few mm which is good for where I ride (but it’s still low!). I am using a Works one as I have used them in the past and had no issues. I do have a few Superstar parts that have been good as well.

richmtb

I used a 1 degree one on my Turner 5 spot, but only because it had a straight steerer and so 1 degree was the only options.

If you buy a works component one just be aware that the top bearing goes in them pretty quickly. Its cheap enough to replace but its odd that the top bearing wears first, its almost always the other way round.

Kamakazie

-2degree is highly recommended, though if you have a low BB already I’d suggest bumping fork travel up a bit to compensate.

kimbers

I’ve just got a works components 1°

Its ace, I’m seriously thinking 2° might have been better, climbs just as well, descends better
    I do have low bb & have had the odd pedal strike, might switch to shorter cranks

Works offer 1.5° if you really can’t decide,
    SS kit is pretty good ime too

julians
    Free Member

I tried a -1.5 deg headset on my old orbea rallon, taking the angle from 66 to 64.5 deg, it was better downhill, but at the expense of less weight (and therefore grip) on the front wheel on the flat and uphill, in an ideal world I would have paired up the head angle change with 5mm longer on the chainstays, but thats not possible. It just felt a bit unbalanced with the angleset.

I did the same with an IBIS mojo HD – same end result as above.

So I’m a bit meh about anglesets, IME they do noticably and negatively affect the balance of the bikes I’ve tried them on.

chakaping
    Free Member

Looking on Superstar and their one is 2 degrees . Is that a lot to jump in one go?

Where are you starting from?

Is the bike also particularly short?

+1 consider an extra 10mm fork travel to compensate on BB height (I did that with the Superstar one).

Stevelol
    Free Member

It’s worth considering how long your front centre is as well, if you have a long bike then making it slacker will make it harder to get your weight over the front wheel, you wouldn’t want to slacken out a cross country bike too much for example, if you intent to sit down and pedal it a lot (especially around tight uphill corners) it can be very hard to get your weight on the front wheel, and you might lose the front! This can be negated with a longer stem, but that’s moving the goalposts again.

kula72
    Free Member

I did 1.5 and 10mm more travel (and slightly longer c2a fork). works great. I don’t think us mortals would notice 1 degree tbh, might as well go 2.

zippykona

It’s to go on a 2012 29 anthem.
    My friend was bikeless so lent him my 2016 27.5 anthem which meant that I was able to do side by side comparisons on our ride.
    The 2016 felt so much more confident on tricky downhills.
    Assumed an anglset would help.

chakaping
    Free Member

In that case, I’d just go for the full two degrees anyway.

Northwind

If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing 2 degrees. You’re very unlikely to think it’s too much… But even if you do, you’ve basically bracketed it and know to go to 1 degree or go back to 0. Whereas if you go to 1 degree, you’ll never know if 2 was better.

I’ve done it to 4 bikes and there’s not a single one I regretted though.

zippykona

Cool, expect a what size angleset thread soon!

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

If you want half of a degree slacker then just fit larger tyres or pump them up a bit….

Neil SuperstarComponents

thered

Kula72 are your tyres still available, I’ve dm’d you
    Sorry for the hijack

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Angle set headsets.’ is closed to new replies.