Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Android updates, coming from ios…
  • nickhit3
    Free Member

I am currently looking at my upgrade situation and to my surprise I’ve recently found myself looking at the Android selections away from the big players like Samsung. I have only ever used IOS but thats been only 3 years, prior to that it was Windows Phone for 5 very long and painful years..

Any experienced Android guys and girls give me a realistic view of how the update situation is on leading Android OS’s/Manufacturers?  I’m looking very closely at the Huawei P20 Pro on EE- seems to be rated very highly. Quite a departure from IOS there but I’m hearing anecdotally that the frequency of updates over an Android device lifetime is either ‘fine’ or ‘absolutely shocking’ etc. is this a fair assessment still in 2018? Will the OS turn to mush in 2 years?

In the real world away from the fan boy rhetoric, is this a real issue?

matt_outandabout

I am fed up of the Android APP update cycle, which means constant notifications and pressure to update. The APPS have grown massively in size over the three years I have had a (mid-range) phone, meaning I am running out of space constantly.

As for Android – there seems to be variance between manufacturers. Our Motorola and Nokia phones all got an update a few months in to ‘next’ Android version after purchase. Our Huwaei has not had any Android version updates.

All get occasional security/minor update for a couple of years of each version of Android – but then nothing.

dissonance

The problem for Android is you get the manufacturers crap on top of the pure android and then possibly the phone companies crap as well.

So likelihood of updates does vary massively via manufacturer. If you want the best updates then its a Pixel or an Android one phone.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

On Motorola now and I was on Nexus before, no skin or layer or crap on top of the android OS, simple and just works.

I get a few app updates but most are set to auto update and they only want permission when they need different access – sensible approach.

I get OS updates as they come through mostly, on NExus it was on the day it was out, Motorola just after.

simon_g

It’s certainly jarring if you’re used to iOS and getting an update as soon as it’s available. My work Galaxy S6 got 7/N about 6 months after the Nexus phones did, and was in effect abandoned for new major releases two years after first launch.

ios12 will be launching soon and supports everything from the iPhone 5S (nearly 5 years old now) forwards.

Alphabet

I have a OnePlus 3 phone (released June 2016) and am on Android Nougat. I expect I’ll get the latest update in a couple of months or so.

cp

As above – it depends.

Stick to the manufacturers who have history in not modifying the OS much and have a good reputation for updates and support.  Google devices (obviously!) OnePlus, Moto etc… all maintain updates quickly after the main Android release.

I’d imagine you would struggle to get updates much beyond 3 yeas though… but does that matter? Run the device for another year after that and you’re looking at 4 years old – that’s getting on a bit for a phone and would likely be replaced anyway.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

If you want timely Android updates including security patches then I would say you’d have to go for one of Googles own Pixel phones or something running Android One.

Having had 4 Huawei phones in our house I can say they are poor at security updates. Consistently 4 – 6 months behind what Google are pumping out.  Android OS updates are slow too.  Another thing I noticed with Huawei phones is random bluetooth connection dropouts between the phone and car stereo (multiple phones and cars so definitely a Huawei issue).  I also had Strava intermittently stop recording on a few occasions.  I think both these problems are linked to Huawei’s aggressive battery management.

I now have the Pixel 2XL and get security updates monthly and the latest version of android (9.0 Pie) arrived 6 hours after Google announced the launch.  Camera is pretty good and battery life although not as good as the Huawei Mate 9 I had easily get me through the day with plenty to spare.

matt_outandabout

ios12 will be launching soon and supports everything from the iPhone 5S (nearly 5 years old now) forwards.

However my 5 year old ipad is not supported past ios9 it seems….

Cougar

It varies between manufacturers.

When an OS update is in the wild it’s down to individual companies to release updates for their devices (or you resort to homebrew releases from XDA).  Some are much better than others, and some are much worse at adding their own shite you can’t get rid of (I’m looking at you, Samsung).  HTC for instance promises updates for at least two years (from launch) on all their handsets, for instance.  There’s also the Android One programme which promises updates and a ‘clean’ Android install on devices signed up to the programme – one of the deciding factors for me when I recently bought a Nokia 6.1.

I am fed up of the Android APP update cycle, which means constant notifications and pressure to update.

I can’t remember the last time I had a “notification to update” – it’s set (by default now I think) to automatically update apps in the background when on Wi-Fi.  Not seeing how it’s any different to IOS in this regard.  If you’re out of space on your phone that’s not an Android issue, it’s either a crap phone or you’re hoarding two years’ worth of photos and music.

Cougar

I now have the Pixel 2XL and get security updates monthly and the latest version of android (9.0 Pie) arrived 6 hours after Google announced the launch.

How are you finding it so far?

Android One handsets should be getting it later this month (currently running 8.1 Oreo on my Nokia).

Giallograle

Another way of doing it is to replace the manufacturer’s version of the software with the Lineage OS version of Android, which is clean and functional.

That opens up a wider range of phones including Xioami but takes more time and effort.

Del

from what i’ve read android pie is a step towards more timely updates across phones, but i dare say manufacturers like samsung will still throw a spanner in the works.

midlifecrashes

We’re mostly on Motorola phones in our house, XPlay, e4, g4, g5. I’ve just had to look to see what version of Android I’m on (7.1.1). We don’t care, stuff just works.

When a (so called) upgrade does come along, we usually spend half an hour or so setting things back to how we like them. New features usually turn out to be way more faff than they are worth, so get turned off or configured to act like the old one I’m used to. Android has been plenty good enough since about version 4, all I want is a phone, messaging, a browser and a way to list and start apps. So long as stuff still works, I’d rather be without updates.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

We’re mostly on Motorola phones in our house, XPlay, e4, g4, g5. I’ve just had to look to see what version of Android I’m on (7.1.1). We don’t care, stuff just works.

Yeah just checked too, must have gone back from 8 when I had the Nexus back to 7 on this one. Not sure what I missed too but apparently 8 in in the pipleine for this one despite it being older.

Cougar

So long as stuff still works, I’d rather be without updates.

Some of those updates are security updates.  I wouldn’t.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There is a difference between version and security/incremental updates (which Android tells you about)

Feel free to skip the next version of the OS but not the stuff is updating/security ones for the OS and the Apps.

midlifecrashes

Never heard of anyone I know, ever, having their phone hacked, and if I did, so what? I back stuff up.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Cougar

So far it’s been ok. The clock has moved to the left of the screen to make way for phones with notches. Battery seems to be a little better but not by much. The new “gesture” home button is a bit crap. I thought it was meant to have more function like press for home, swipe right to go back, etc but all it does is swipe up for recent apps. There’s still a back arrow on the left of the nav bar when in apps. But vibrate mode is back again although you have to press volume down to access the quick toggle that pops up on the right of the display.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Never heard of anyone I know, ever, having their phone hacked, and if I did, so what? I back stuff up.

More loop holes to access stuff that people shouldn’t like putting key loggers in there or skimming app data off, searching for stored passwords and all that.

Other stuff that comes with them is battery tweaks etc. and fixes to problems from the last update.

Then also helps with app compatibility.

nickhit3
    Free Member

Thanks for the input peeps. Sounds alot like a lottery, and strangely familiar to my time on WinPhone7/8.1… relying on manufacturers and the whim of a carrier. Sadly there isn’t an Android One phone that has caught my eye, aside from the Nokia 7 Plus which a family member rates- but im swung by the more powerful features on the Huawei P20Pro which seems to be getting plaudits. Going for a Pixel will cost me as much as an iphone, same for something like the handset outright model of the OnePlus6 etc.

Do google release OS updates on a similar annual schedule to Apple?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve got the Nokia 7 Plus that’s on the Android One programme, so started with most uptodate OS and guaranteed minimum 2 years OS updates and 3 years security patches. I think that’s the best option if you want guaranteed uptodate OS on an Android phone.

stumpy01

Hmmm. I have never really seen this as an issue although have perhaps neglected to consider whether or not it’s a security risk.

When I bought my Lenovo P2, it was on 6.01 Marshmallow (stupid names) which dates back to the end of 2015. There was talk it wasn’t going to be long before 7 was going to be available (Nougat, I think).
    But, it never materialised on the Three network. You can fiddle about & find the software & do the update yourself, but I’ve never felt the need.

I’ve not had an issue with it being out of date – I’ve had the phone now about 18 months.
    I suppose there might be some compatibility issues in a couple of years time with app compatibility, but I guess that is the risk you take of buying a £200 phone.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do google release OS updates on a similar annual schedule to Apple?

When they finish them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

Rather than when the sales thing is due though looking at the top 10 for Pie some stuff is for features your phone won’t have, some stuff is putting into OS what is in some apps already, noting looks like a massive game changer so I’m happy to stay behind but get security and have a phone for 2 years.

My current Moto was £180 does enough for what I need and I’ll happily replace it after 18 months and get the latest OS and the tech it’s servicing

Cougar

There’s a note on Motorola’s update policy here (amongst a Nokia 6.1 review):

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/07/nokia-6-1-review-the-perfect-phone-for-your-friends-and-family/

“HMD [Nokia] is promising two years of major OS updates and two years of monthly security updates for the Nokia 6.1, and maintains a security bulletin page here. HMD’s policy is excellent for this price range. Motorola has said the competing Moto G6 will only be updated to Android P, which works out to something like six months of major OS support. Motorola is only providing security rollups every 60 to 90 days, too.”

nickhit3
    Free Member

Interesting. Seems a few here are bemoaning updates on REALLY inexpensive older android devices, which is not the area I’m looking at. I’m keen to hear what it’s like for for those at the sharper end of android devices. The phone I’m interested is currently competing with the S9 and the IPhoneX by way of explanation.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Samsung have been bad historically but looks like they are catching up

https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/06/2017-android-security-rewards.html

Though they were top of the list for reinvention of andriod in their image.

Personally at the high end I’d be looking towards the Pixel anyway

bearnecessities

I’ve just bought a sealed Pixel One.

I’ve gone from 7.1 to 8.0 to ‘Pie’ in the space of an hour 🙂

Can’t get the sodding fingerprint scanner to work though, so it’s probably going back.

EDIT: Works perfectly after Android 9.0 🙂

aphex_2k
    Free Member

The problem for Android is you get the manufacturers crap on top of the pure android

Depends on the phone manufacturer. And how you use the phone. Newer samsung phones are pretty customisable. I dont use the samsung launcher on my s8+ i’ve got a version of the pixel launcher which has been great. I’m already on the august update for mine, came out on the 4th aug OTA.

Pie has just come out for Google phones and a couple of others. Android does update a lot – monthly security updates.

Did Apple sort their old phones getting slow and throttled and battery life dramas…?

Kryton57

Have I missed something?  Because really, who cares?   I’ve had a budget G5/G5s for two years now.  It updates stuff overnight but for all intents and purposes it all works well and the phone is very reliable.  I’ve no idea whether its using Jam Ring or Custard Cream.

Just get on with it, use the phone and stop worrying about minor issues perhaps….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just get on with it, use the phone and stop worrying about minor issues perhaps….

Where is the real kryton57?

But yes it’s.a tiny thing really, most of my security ones install while I have a shower in the morning.

kelron
    Free Member

Have I missed something?  Because really, who cares?   I’ve had a budget G5/G5s for two years now.  It updates stuff overnight but for all intents and purposes it all works well and the phone is very reliable.  I’ve no idea whether its using Jam Ring or Custard Cream.

New features can be nice, they help keep the phone feeling modern.

The bigger issue is security updates, which for the most part are separate from the major new versions but there’s no guarantee you’ll get them quickly or regularly from a lot of manufacturers.

thepurist

The bigger issue is security updates

Really?  Can you name the biggest 3 exploits that have affected non-updated Android/iOS devices in the last 3/5 years?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Really?  Can you name the biggest 3 exploits that have affected non-updated Android/iOS devices in the last 3/5 years?

Which mass exploits were stopped?

thepurist

Which mass exploits were stopped?

The debate here seems to be about ‘security’ updates stopping for cheaper/older models, so that would imply there are millions of unprotected phones in the wild just waiting to be corrupted by evil software.

mogrim

I’m keen to hear what it’s like for for those at the sharper end of android devices.

I’ve got a Samsung S7 Edge, top of the range when it came out in Feb 2016. It’s still receiving updates. How much longer Samsung will send them  out I’ve no idea, but so far so good.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

so that would imply there are millions of unprotected phones in the wild just waiting to be corrupted by evil software.

Or they are cycled out of use with dead batteries and replaced with newer phones that continue to get updates. 3 years is very good really especially on a cheap phone where the rest of it will probably fail before then.

All the security updates from say V5 will  be rolled up into V6, exploits that work on new features in 6 might not work on V5 as the code it’s exploiting isn’t there.

If you discover something in the latest version which lots of people have it’s worth a shot at exploiting that before it gets patched or people work out what you are doing.

Exploits are normally where there is a mass of devices at the same level making it worth the effort to target them

stumpy01

But yes it’s.a tiny thing really, most of my security ones install while I have a shower in the morning.

Just wondering how do you actually know if your phone has downloaded a security update? Do you get an icon in the notification bar?

My Lenovo P2 is showing as Android Security Patch Level – 1 Oct 2016, so it doesn’t look like there have been any security updates on mine for a while!

Anecdotally, my Bro-in-Law has got a Samsung S7 (I think) and while I was at his visiting last weekend, he commented that his phone had updated over night and loads of his icons had subtly changed – That phone is over 2 years old I think and appears to still be getting updates.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just wondering how do you actually know if your phone has downloaded a security update? Do you get an icon in the notification bar?

Yep saying Security Update available do you want to download and install?

In that screen hit check for updates

stumpy01

In that screen hit check for updates

Yeah, I meant to say – if I hit ‘system updates’ it tells me my phone is up to date….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Android updates, coming from ios…’ is closed to new replies.