Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • android to iphone, anyone regretted it?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

my x10 is on its last legs so new phone time, looking about iphones seem to be about the same cost as another similar android based phone. is the apple os much of a muchness to android or a different beast?

for info i use my phone a lot for my business; loads of photos and a lot of uploading to/interaction with facebook, twitter, pinterest and a wordpress blog. i’ll also be looking to get a credit card reader on it when paypal pull their finger out and release theirs.

cheapest place to get one?

Stoner
    Free Member

iphones seem to be about the same cost as another similar android based phone

Nexus 4 for £240 wees all over iPhones*

* retreats to a safe distance from GrahamS

dannybgoode

*cough* Windows Phone *cough*

plyphon
    Free Member

I just went from iPhone to a Galaxy S4.

iOS does a few things better than Android OS and equally Android does some thing better than iOS.

but for what its worth, they’re basically the same.

The hardware however is leaps and bounds above the current iPhone 5 (And 5S if the leaked specs are to be believed)

tony24
    Free Member

I went from Iphone to Sony xperia z and don’t regret it at all the phones spec is head and shoulders above the Iphone don’t miss it 1 bit and unless Apple do something drastic spec wise there phones will always be behind

codybrennan
    Free Member

I went back to iPhone (4S) after a Galaxy S3- Android is good, but I thought text input was a bit lacking without 3rd party tools. And I noticed that I was only using about half the features anyway.

One big drawback of IOS- Itunes. I can’t stand it. It’s absolutely dire, and you’ll need it for getting any media on the device.

Interesting that upcoming IOS 7 will bring in the one feature I really miss from Android- the top-of-screen status bar that allows you to turn off data, Wi-Fi, BT, etc.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve done the other way too. For me, the iPhone’s restictions annoyed me hugely so android suits me much better – eg being able to choose which apps I use for certain tasks (eg on the iPhone I didn’t like the safari browser but links in an email for example would always open in the stock browser with no way to change it). Obviously jailbreaking is an option to get around that but I couldn’t really see the point in that rather than just getting an android phone – you may feel differently of course if you already have a lot of Apple products.

For many people, they just don’t care about any of that and are happy to use the phone as Apple believe is best and it does tend to work well most of the time. If that’s you, then you’ll get on with an iPhone.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Those Aps on iOS and Android are very polished so you’ve have almost the same experience on both devices. If you’ve paid for any Android Aps you’ll have to buy them again in iOS. If you’re a keen writer/blogger then the alternative Keyboards you can get in Android Play Market are useful. I’m not sure any have been allowed into the Ap Store yet?

You’ve got a lot of handset options on the Android platform and a vast array of screen sizes. A couple of friends switched from iPhone 4 and WP7 handsets to Samsung Galaxy Note2’s and they reckon its the best phone they’ve ever used and they could not go back.

Once you’ve used a large hi res screen like the Note its hard to go back to anything smaller!

unovolo
    Free Member

I would consider a Windows Phone to ,I went from a Android Phone to Windows Phone and don’t regret it,not everyone likes it as its a little different to use than the other two but I find it better suited to my needs.

On a slightly different topic I have a Nexus 7 Tablet and recently been supplied a Ipad mini through work.

Although the mini is beatifully made I prefer the Nexus for userability, with the Ipad I miss the back buttons and how you have to close apps compared to the swiping action on the Nexus,also the notifications bar on the Ipad is a waste of time.

bearnecessities

dannybgoode – Member

*cough* Windows Phone *cough*

Cheers, Danny B

STFY

clubber
    Free Member

Off topic

the swiping action on the Nexus

Say what? I’ve missed this…

jools182
    Free Member

Last year I went from a HTC to an iphone, had it 2 days and sent it back

Back to android now

molgrips
    Free Member

My wife’s cousin is a major apple fangirl, but had an android phone. She replaced it with an iPhone and hates it. Awkward, apps don’t work how she wants (or is used to) and she swears at siri a lot.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

top-of-screen status bar that allows you to turn off data, Wi-Fi, BT, etc

Annoyingly I’ve seen no evidence from Apple that the Control Centre will have an option to turn off data. Airplane mode, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth sure, but no 3G switch. Disappointing.

I wouldn’t move away from my iPhone though. I’m too engrained in all things Apple. They’ve caught me hook, line and sinker 😳

jambalaya
    Free Member

We got one of the google phones when they came out, it was so bad we paid out the contract early. In fairness the hardware was worse than the android software. Now we have 5 iPhones in the family, ie everyone and wouldn’t consider anything else as we have zero issues with hardware, apps etc. I have no issues with iTunes. IMO the real power comes when you link together Apple products, an iPhone plus Apple TV connected to your flat screen is very versatile whether that be BBC iPlayer, movies, music or STW midweek mini movies

molgrips
    Free Member

We got one of the google phones when they came out

Totally different story now of course.

clubber
    Free Member

Exactly. Same as iPhones not having copy&paste at the start – IMO made them completely hamstrung – but completely irrelevant to any discussion now.

I find that Google are doing a great job now of offering integration. I’ve recently found lean back and that’s really quite cool (You tube integration with android tablet/phone and your media PC) and I find google music works really well.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

just had to pop into town and had a very quick play on a windows phone, a nokia i think, i was rushing… damn the thing was fast, almost tore my finger off.

clubber
    Free Member

We’re changing to windows phones from BBs at work and the feedback on them is pretty positive so far – the speed thing has certainly been mentioned even by people used to iPhones and high spec androids.

For me, the big question mark is app availability. If I can’t get all the key apps that I like and use then I’d never consider one.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i’ve been thinking about this and when i considered a new phone a few months back the camarea was the main thing of importance to me, of which the iphone weighed in very positively.

i also know that you can get some very good waterproof cases for the iphone, and again that would be useful for what i use a phone for.

jam-bo

i also know that you can get some very good waterproof cases for the iphone, and again that would be useful for what i use a phone for.

iphone 5 in the lifeproof case is a great combo

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve jumped both ways in the past, Iphone to Android and back again.

I initially went to Android because I liked the easy access to some settings and the open nature of it. I then found I couldn’t get some of the apps I needed so came back to IOS. IOS 7 coming out has some of the good features of Android so will make the phone a lot more usable.

I’m a very heavy user of my phone and can honestly say my 5 has been excellent over the last year of ownership.

bencooper
    Free Member

Rosie keeps pestering me to get a Nexus like hers, but at a cursory glance half the apps I use aren’t available in an Android version – that’s the major downside with switching the other way I think, even though the Android hardware looks more impressive on paper.

clubber
    Free Member

Out of interest, what sort of apps are those?

elliott-20
    Free Member

Yup.

Got an iPhone as the latest clutch of ‘good’ Android phones are about the size of Gibraltar but I’m really not loving it in terms of UI.

Some fundamental features of Android are lacking on the iPhone – For example, the alarm on the iPhone is particularly annoying as you can’t turn off vibrate in the alarm without switching it off altogether.

And I’ve come across many other niggle since manly because Apple don’t allow apps and developers to override some of their core functionality.

Unless iOS 7 is a significant upgrade then I’ll be going back to Android.

chewkw
    Free Member

Apparently me mate told me Samsung Note 2 and HTC OneX are very good … for business purposes like signing off invoice or reading PDF documents …

jam-bo

Unless iOS 7 is a significant upgrade then I’ll be going back to Android.

been using iOS7 for a couple of weeks now. its a very nice upgrade with lots of nice new features but fundamentally its not that different.

molgrips
    Free Member

the latest clutch of ‘good’ Android phones are about the size of Gibraltar

Samsung make large and small versions of their latest ones.

plyphon
    Free Member

Samsung make large and small versions of their latest ones.

as do HTC

However Sony only make large and laughably-huge

Cougar

You overlooked “good” there. If there’s a small, high-performance phone, I’ve not come across it yet.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

the swiping action on the Nexus

Say what? I’ve missed this…

Hit the ’tiles’ icon (bottom right) to open the stack of recent apps

To close any apps from the stack, just ‘swipe’ them away!

jam-bo

To close any apps from the stack, just ‘swipe’ them away!

this is in iOS7

clubber
    Free Member

Ah, yes, I did know about that but thanks 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Out of interest, what sort of apps are those?

The accounts software I use is Apple only – I don’t need it on my phone but it’s handy. Ditto apps for business banking, online order system, stuff like that. Then there’s the spoke calculator software that I’ve put lots of data into.

Toasty

Software wise they’re almost meeting in the middle. I’ve always used Android, it did used to be a bit cringe-worthy how much they’d rip off Apple, but then the latest round of additions by Apple all seem to be making it more like Android.

http://www.apple.com/uk/ios/ios7/features/

Going through the feature list, all of them seem to be mapping features which Android has offered for years. Control/Notification Center, exactly the same as all my Android devices do. Multitasking like every Android device ever. AirDrop is much the same as sharing via a Google Drive.

this is in iOS7

Very bizarre strategy.

Both have a place in the market in my opinion.

samuri
    Free Member

Just for some balance, I went from Android to Apple and was very happy. My next phone will also be an iPhone. It does everything I want it to do.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

iphone 5 is on the way. should haver been here this morning pre-10am, but god forbid mobiles.co.uk do what they actually said they would.

molgrips
    Free Member

I just went from Android to Windows Phone..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Add Chromecast to the list of Android plus points, only netflix, youtube & chrome at launch but the SDK is out there so expect to be able to bounce your phone to TV for £30 very soon.

I’d just get one with expandable memory 🙂 Nothing on android has made me wan to leave so far but would like a play with the ubuntu offering. Nothing anyone with an Iphone has shown me or gushed about has left me wanting one.

bigtimebones
    Free Member

No Strava on Windows Phone might be a biggy for us cyclists.

I have a Windows Phone, Nokia 920.

The camera is superb and the phone itself is very fast but it does lack the key apps to make it superior to Android and iOS.

If you dont care about apps then I cannot recommend Windows Phone enough.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘android to iphone, anyone regretted it?’ is closed to new replies.