Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Android – rooting/flashing rom – backup questions
  • clubber
    Free Member

I’m planning to update my s3 mini to kit Kat in an attempt to improve it’s performance.

I’m fairly clear on the process I need to follow – root it and then flash with the cyanogenmod 11 rom here

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/523774/20131120/update-samsung-galaxy-s3-mini-android-4.htm

I’m happy enough with backing up everything like apps, data, contacts but I’m wondering if I need to back up apn settings otherwise presumably the phone won’t be able to connect to a mobile network.

So, how do I do that bit or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Anything else I should consider?

TIA

sobriety
    Free Member

When I did mine (was an old HTC desire), putting the sim in prompted it to set up it’s mobile network.

The internet didn’t work on 3G, but I looked up the solution on line (on a different machine!) and re-entered the settings manually and all was good.

scaredypants

android will set itself back up (though you may still have to install GAPPS as a separate zip file first, I dunno)

Check that a version of your original ROM is available in case your new one doesn’t suit you or your phone

IME it’s unlikely that absolutely everything will work fine after a new(ish)ly developed ROM is put on

clubber
    Free Member

Just thought I’d follow up in case anyone is looking for similar.

I rooted it absolutely fine, using Odin.

The ROM for Cyanogen 11 (Kit Kat) didn’t work though – status 7 error – it seems that because it’s still fairly early in the Kit Kat cycle, it’s not working 100% and some others also had issues. It could be because I used CWM recovery to install rather than TWRC but looking into it further revealed some issues with the ROM’s functionality anyway (at this point at least).

So, I just installed Cyanogenmod 10 (Jelly Bean) which is working very well now.

So, lessons learnt. Use the CWM (or other recovery solution) to create a backup before wiping. Wait for a bit to get a working ROM.

lovewookie

I got a similar error when installing CM11 to my tab 2. Updated to the latest available CWM and it all went fine.

clubber
    Free Member

Oh and I forgot to mention that the APNs weren’t an issue – they were included in the Cyanogen ROM anyway but when I stuck the SIM in a different phone (while I was sorting out the S3 mini), EE (my network) sent the phone all the necessary settings via text. So I reckon that if you don’t have them, your network will send them to you.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I really should update my Xperia T, but then I’ll lose root and have to reroot it. Cant be arsed until I can get KK on officially (and then root it)

clubber
    Free Member

You usually get the option to keep root when you install a rom. I certainly did each time

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Android – rooting/flashing rom – backup questions’ is closed to new replies.