Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Android Phone recommendations Nov 2022
  • boombang
    Free Member

It must be time for another Android phone recommendation thread right?

Currently on an ~18 month old Moto G30, really disappointed with everything bar battery life (which is noticeably dropping). The summer update caused a screen contrast issue, the update last month has caused navigation/location issues, and since new it’s had intermitted irritating issues like failing to answer calls when locked and sometimes hanging when switching between apps. It’s latest trick is bluetooth connection issues, 50-50 if it will connect without disconnecting and starting again.

Primary usage is Android auto for music and nav when in the car (many hours of that!), messaging, watching tv/streaming – nothing hugely demanding. Occasionally I even make a phone call. Above all I just want it to work but after a couple of Moto phones this is about the last straw and I want something less temperamental.

Is Android getting really hardware hungry and ‘budget’ phones aren’t up to scratch and/or have Moto lost their way?

Any recommendations welcome. I would appreciate a ‘rugged’ phone that can take some abuse, don’t need headphone jack and don’t want a google button (please no!), but would consider anything.

ji
    Free Member

Whichever Pixel fits your budget

configuration
    Free Member

iPhone 14.

rickmeister

Blackview 9800 Pro user here on an Android system. Rugged, capable, good battery life, good processor. Can be found on Ebay etc etc. No complaints as it just works.

cp

What is your budget?

Pixel 6a can be had for £330 from amazon or 319 from vodafone

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/google-pixel-6a-vodafone-pay-as-you-go-4021312

Or I’ll sell you a brand new sealed Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro for £150 posted.

Poopscoop

As said, pick one of the pixels. Some good offers around at the moment.

I’m on my third one now and I’ll never go to another brand if they stay this consistently good.

desperatebicycle

Still on a Pixel 3a with it’s 2 day battery life. I will get another Pixel if I ever need to replace this one.

crazy-legs

Still on a Pixel 3a with it’s 2 day battery life. I will get another Pixel if I ever need to replace this one.

Pixel 4a here, still excellent although the camera is not quite in the same league as the newer phones.
    I’d get another Pixel without hesitation, it’s been faultless.

The recent launch of the 7 and 7 Pro means there’s quite a few deals on the 5 series.

andybrad

just to add,

Just got my pixel 7 today. Its nice but only just on par with my samsung S20 which is 2 years older

boombang
    Free Member

Pixel ordered, thanks for the quick response – bitten the bullet, spent more than I wanted but can’t really be without a good working navigation solution with my commute.

blokeuptheroad

Despite your Moto issues, I’ve a year old Moto G50 which was cheap to buy and has been absolutely flawless. Android Auto connects wirelessly and works perfectly without even thinking about it.  The camera and everything else works just fine for my needs, though I’m no power user. Zero Bluetooth issues, screen freezing etc. Don’t write Motorola off, you may just have been unlucky.

MarkyG82

Currently got a pixel 5. I’m a serial phone changer and don’t feel the need to replace this one. I would have got a 6a if it had wireless charging.

colournoise

Just switched from Sony to a Pixel 6. Not much more than a 6a now, and worth it to me for the wireless charging and better camera.

Last Google phone was a Nexus 4 which I loved and the Pixel is leagues beyond it, even accounting for the improvement in tech generally since.

Vanilla Android is a great OS, guaranteed updates are cool, and the camera (or rather the AI processing) is an astonishing thing. Much as I want to just take the RAW files do my own processing, the results SOOC are amazing in almost all conditions – only the lack of optical zoom (and my little collection of vintage lenses) makes me think about picking a proper camera up TBH.

Caher

Moved from Moto to Pixel and never looked back. Great camera, speedy internet, little bloatware and you can talk to people on it.

Poopscoop

Fyi in case anyone interested.

Pixel 3a XL, refurb, £86 with code TAKEIT10.

Expires in 4 hours!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324751940076?mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&siteid=3&campid=5336549684&customid=2420576012&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

gavstorie
    Free Member

Samsung A53 is a good little phone and can be found for around £300-£325

jamesoz

latest trick is bluetooth connection issues, 50-50 if it will connect without disconnecting and starting again

Same on the Moto g62 and Moto pro. We use Motorola for work and the last decent one was the G7 power

Terrible Bluetooth and general phone crashiness.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

andybrad
    just to add,

Just got my pixel 7 today. Its nice but only just on par with my samsung S20 which is 2 years older

In terms of what? Battery, performance, camera, storage? (Current s20+ user with a few months left until I’m allowed an upgrade!)

Onzadog
    Free Member

My pixel 3a still does everything I ask of it (other than update android) but I think next phone I get might be a fairphone.

Or whoever offers updates for the longest time.

boombang
    Free Member

The bad news is the Amazon supplied Pixel was unsealed, opened and covered in finger prints.
    Ordered another from them and it sat in limbo pending dispatch for days on end.

The good news is it is now £299 so have reordered again.

Dickyboy

John Lewis are doing the pixel 6a for £299 plus £100 off for trade in

Dickyboy

Double post shonkyness ☹️

Blackview 9800 Pro user here on an Android system. Rugged, capable, good battery life, good processor. Can be found on Ebay etc etc. No complaints as it just works.

I’ve got a BV9900 Pro and it’s great for work (also have Samsung S22 Ultra). Tough as old boots and just works as it should – also has a thermal imaging camera

bv9900 pro

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.