Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Android phone / google account set up for kids
  • pedlad

Wonder if anyone can advise the best set up for kids phones as I’m an iPhone user.

I have just bought my youngest an android phone and as I did with the eldest’s a couple of years ago set it up against my google account….the idea being I’d have some visibility on his YouTube viewing and App purchases.

Unfortunately the youngest’s phone has of course copied across profile stuff such as contacts list from his brother…..not really an issue at the moment but surely will become so (I’m thinking younger one sending embarrassing pictures of his brother to his girlfriend for a laugh sort of thing :->)

Is there an optimal way to set this sort of stuff up?

matt_outandabout

I created thier own Gmail email address but only I had password. Locked down for purchases. No card details on account either.
    I can then pop on the phone or laptop and see what they are upto.

Now eldest two are old enough I don’t bother.

matt_outandabout

Even better- the older two now ‘own’ thier own music and games, they don’t have to start from scratch.

Kelliesheros
    Free Member

What Matt said. Create them an account but only u know the password. When u think they are responsible enough just tell them the password.

The only other thing I did for mine was to install an app lock program. Allows you to restrict access to certain apps without a pin (Norton do one) means my youngest can’t install apps or
    Access a
    Web browser without asking.

funkynick

Google’s Family Link allows you to set up an account for a child, and then gives control over that account to the parent, so you run an app on your phone that allows you to turn on/off the child’s phone, set time limits, approve app installs etc…

It also allows you to lock down apps, allow browsing the web, all-sorts…

Now, whether the parent app runs on an iPhone I don’t know.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

We use the family link app for an 8 year old. Works from an iPhone or Android. Just make sure you set up the kids account through the family link app on the parents phone before setting up the kids phone.

Not as powerful as the Norton etc paid for parent apps but does what we need it to.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Android phone / google account set up for kids’ is closed to new replies.