Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • android pc for netflix & iplayer
  • Olly
    Free Member

Getting pretty hacked off with the fan noise on my 360 while watching iPlayer and Netflix etc. That and having to have a gold account. I figure a n android based solid state pc would be able to run the native apps just fine. Ideally I want it to be plugged into am HDMI monitor, stereo jack out, and a wired ethernet connection. Any onecare to share?

nickjb
    Free Member

You can do domething similar with a raspberry pi. IPlayer is easy, Netflix needs another computer somewhere on your network to stream from aiui.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive been toying with doing the same – although I do use my 360 as a media extender from my W7 PC. I dont have a gold subscription.

However Im going to hold out for a google chromecast. There are going to be limitations, but if Im hoping developers will be able to get it to stream from a network with some kind of app, although that wont be possible form the beginning.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Loads of cheap ones from our friends in china… http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=android+mini+pc&catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20131025230349

I have used my pi in the past as a media pc but it cannot come close to a quad core and android. You can pick one up for peanuts with a remote control or mini keyboard. Well worth a punt for the money.

dannybgoode

For straight Netflix a little Roku box does for me. Works exactly as it should.

Has iPlayer also.

The Roku RT is about 8cm square and completely silent.

Cheap now at £35 I think and the new versions are out also.

Stoner
    Free Member

Will a roku stream media files from the network as well danny?

Cheers

Stoner B

dannybgoode

Not directly but you can set up what Roku call a ‘Private Channel’ and stream that way.

Plenty of info on the web – have a read and see if it is something you want to fiddle with.

As a straight iPlayer/Netflix solution it is perfect – less so if you want to stream media around your own network.

Cheers

Danny B

Stoner
    Free Member

thanks, will go and read up.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just as a comparison an Apple TV box does all that, solid state, hdmi out, wifi or ethernet in. I believe one reason the old Apple TV2 models sell for double new price (ie £200 vs £100) is you can hack them to work with android/non Apple streaming. You can also setup a mac mini with tv as main screen. Clearly neither are android and mac mini would be avery expensive solution even used but it would be a fully fledged computer and media library.

Olly
    Free Member

Im likely to build up a steambox for the new generation of gaming (they couldnt pay me to fork out for a XBone) but building a little low power solidstate jobby into the same case could be cool, Boot into the steam OS for proper Games, boot to android for silent running film watching/casual gaming. I wonder if one could do this with a certain amount of overlap of parts.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I just got one of these for £50 and plugged it in to my router to replace my noisy PS3;

Netfix and Iplayer work well and a HDD plugged into the USB port means I can watch MP4’s etc.

Sony S1100 Blu Ray

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘android pc for netflix & iplayer’ is closed to new replies.