Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Android Lollipop (5.1.1) GPS problems – loses signal
  • nemesis
    Free Member

My z3 compact running lollipop 5.1.1 seems to be having major problems with gps and getting worse.

If I open a gps app eg Google maps, it’ll generally (though not always) quickly get a fairly accurate position but it then loses its fix and navigation or strava are useless – at best it’ll follow my position but jumping from point to point rather than moving smoothly along where I’m going.

I’ve tried pretty much all the suggestions online so just wondering if anyone’s had similar but actually managed to fix it.

Cougar

Sounds like it’s deferring to coarse location fixing. What happens if you turn the Wi-Fi off, does it fail completely?

Dunno what the fault is beyond “it’s broken”, try a factory reset maybe?

nemesis
    Free Member

Yeah, sounds possible. I’ll give it a go with WiFi off.

Factory reset is an option but hassle so I’d rather avoid that except as a last resort

CraigW
    Free Member

Try using something like the GPS Status app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2
    It will show how many satellites your phone is able to see, and whether it is able to get your position, and how accurate.
    It has an option to reset the A-GPS data, and download updated A-GPS, which can help to get a fix.

riddoch

I have had something vaguely similar for ages with my Samsung s5, it either takes ages to get a gps lock or not at all.
    I have been using tasker to automatically fire up gps status every three hours and refresh the a-gps data and everything has been working fine.

allthepies
    Free Member

A mate has a Sony phone and ever since he upgraded it to Lollipop the GPS has been behaving exactly as you describe. It’s been off to Sony for “repair” twice so far but sounds like a software issue with Lollipop on certain Sony phones to me.

nemesis
    Free Member

It seems to be working again today having tried this from the linked thread below:

try clearing the data for the following apps: Google Play Services, Google Services Framework, Maps, LocationServices.

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z3-Compact/gps-not-working/td-p/985174

I have tried agps refresh several times before without any improvement.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Have the same problem on my galaxy S4 on Lollipop, clearing data doesn’t seem to help either…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Android Lollipop (5.1.1) GPS problems – loses signal’ is closed to new replies.