Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Android Ice Cream Sandwich [4.0]
  • the_lecht_rocks

blimey – android is about to sink apple………. 🙂

Drac

Seems they certainly have copied Apples iOS.

the_lecht_rocks

far from it – just add a custom ROM overlay and it will wipe the floor technically…..

Drac

2 ROMs don’t make a right.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

With Face unlock I don’t see many transvestites switching from their iPhones

glenh
    Free Member

Seems they certainly have copied Apples iOS.

ROFL. iOS5 is iOS4 + a load of android features!

Drac

My god are you suggesting that they copy features from each other. What a revelation.

Cougar

Won’t someone think of the children!

I had a quick look at ICS today. Looks pretty funky.

wallop

So what’s the craic then? Do all Android phones get this update? I don’t understand mobile phone technology.

Cougar

It’s entirely dependent on the handset manufacturers releasing it, basically. So there’ll be the new flagship phones released with it first, then it’ll probably be back-ported to other handsets. Google have said that if a phone can run Gingerbread, it “should” be capable of running ICS.

One of the downsides of Android of Android is that there’s no automatic “here’s the new OS for all phones”; it’s often customised by manufacturers so, for instance, HTC will probably do a ICS + Sense variant, Motorola will do ICS + Motoblur and so on.

That said, one of the upsides is that even if there isn’t an official release for a given handset there will almost certainly be a rake of unofficial custom ROMs shortly afterwards (or, often, shortly before).

molgrips
    Free Member

Can you not install this stuff on any handset then? Even unofficially? In other words, how can I get it?

_tom_
    Free Member

Cool, looks like I’m gonna wait a while before deciding on a new phone 🙂

deviant
    Free Member

Molgrips….yes it will be around on various websites to install on other Android handsets before HTC and the like put their interface over the top.

The Nexus range of handsets (Nexus one, Nexus S and now Nexus Galaxy Prime?) all run stock Android so get the updates over the air first.

bol

It’s entirely dependent on the handset manufacturers releasing it, basically. So there’ll be the new flagship phones released with it first, then it’ll probably be back-ported to other handsets. Google have said that if a phone can run Gingerbread, it “should” be capable of running ICS.
    One of the downsides of Android of Android is that there’s no automatic “here’s the new OS for all phones”; it’s often customised by manufacturers so, for instance, HTC will probably do a ICS + Sense variant, Motorola will do ICS + Motoblur and so on.
    That said, one of the upsides is that even if there isn’t an official release for a given handset there will almost certainly be a rake of unofficial custom ROMs shortly afterwards (or, often, shortly before).

This is why I like my iPhone. No horrid geekery to deal with. Plug it in, update it, forget about it, buy the new one every now and then.

bol

And another thing. There will never be an Apple product called anything as revolting as the “Nexus Galaxy Prime”. Douglas Adams couldn’t have made it up.

carbon337
    Free Member

This is why I like my iPhone. No horrid geekery to deal with. Plug it in, update it, forget about it, buy the new one every now and then.

+1

And on the subject of copying what came first – iphone or android? From the first incarnation they have bothe been raising the game.

I wont be tempted to Android – if i had wanted to fanny on with phone OS’s id have stuck with windows mobile years ago.

deviant
    Free Member

bol, its only licensees of Android that have to wait for upgraded operating systems or pinch them from the net to get a head start on their handset manufacturer (HTC, Motorola, Samsung etc)….the Google/Nexus range of phones get the update straight away and over the air…no plug ins needed.

glenh
    Free Member

And another thing. There will never be an Apple product called anything as revolting as the “Nexus Galaxy Prime”. Douglas Adams couldn’t have made it up.

Actually it’s called the galaxy nexus.

Houns

On Android here, no fannying about at all. My phone tells me when there’s an update (like it’s just done) and I install it, nice and simple

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Apple updates always work and never cause any problems at all……….. 🙄

deviant
    Free Member

Houns, same here….

….i just dont get having to plug a phone into itunes and then wait hours for the operating system to download, ridiculous and archaic.

Northwind

bol – Member

You do realise there is no Android Enforcer Squad forcing you to upgrade?

mikertroid
    Free Member

Having owned an iPhone 3G for 18 months, I decided to go the Android route as I didn’t think the 4G justified the cost.

12 months in to my contract, I buy an iPod touch to tide me over as I’m fed up with the glitchy, crashy, buggy android that’s on my Blur.

Only 12 months before I can go to 4GS…..!

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s no horrid geekery on Android. None at all. I actually wish there were, so I could upgrade.

No – my phone is my phone, that is it. It works very well, and it’s also never crashed.

Motorola Atrix btw.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I think, to be fair to Android, that Blur is the culprit. And my phones a Defy, got mixed up there!!

Cougar

This is why I like my iPhone

Good for you.

You know, I long for a discussion about Android (or iPhone, Windows, Mac, Linux, singlespeeds, helmets, full-sussers) where the advocates of the alternative didn’t feel utterly compelled to come diving in penis-first.

Can we just establish unequivocally that the iPhone is pretty good, and Android is pretty good, and then get on with discussing more salient points than “the ZX Spectrum is better than the Commodore 64 rofl” please?

Love and kisses,

Cougar.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve just updated my Xperia ARC from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 and rooted it over the course of an hour this afternoon. Nothing particularly difficult or techy to it.
    If you’re interested have a look at xda developers and if you like to play around or just want to get rid of the rubbish on the phone you don’t need, its very good.

bol

You know, I long for a discussion about Android (or iPhone, Windows, Mac, Linux, singlespeeds, helmets, full-sussers) where the advocates of the alternative didn’t feel utterly compelled to come diving in penis-first.

😆 😳

Sorry guys, I was only joshing. I’m sure android phones are perfectly lovely – particularly the ones that do all the techy stuff for you.

Cougar

Sorry, please don’t take that personally, I wasn’t having a go at you per se. Just frustrated that it happens every. Single. Time. a thread like this appears.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Everyone knows the C64 is better mate 😉

Klunk
    Free Member

There’s no horrid geekery on Android.

you’ve obviously never had to develop for android then. 🙄

Cougar

Everyone knows the C64 is better mate

Get off my forum.

bol

Not taken. I actually quite liked the concept of diving in penis-first – until I realised it meant I was a dickhead.

GrahamS

Just to balance the fanboi sniping: ICS looks pretty nice and I don’t think they have copied all of it from iOS.

At least half is copied from Windows Metro 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. now I want to know why I don’t seem to get updates for my phone….

allthepies
    Free Member

you’ve obviously never had to develop for android then

I managed to go from “what’s all this Android SDK all about then” to writing / installing a noddy app on my Galaxy S in an evening. Had I chosen an iPhone as a target then I imagine I would have taken somewhat longer.

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s no horrid geekery on Android.

you’ve obviously never had to develop for android then

I have the Android SDK open as I type. Android’s API is pretty frickin awesome. But it’s a pointless thing to bring to this discussion, since most of us do not develop for phones.

GrahamS

Not that hard allthepies.
    http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/iphone/conceptual/iPhone101/Articles/01_CreatingProject.html

And the advantage is that you can sell iOS apps for actual money 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

Even if you don’t own a Mac ?

GrahamS

I believe you can develop on a Hackintosh too.

What does Android offer in the way of simulators by the way?
    Just struck me that it must be a pain to try to test on all the different handsets with different capabilities, screen sizes etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Android Ice Cream Sandwich [4.0]’ is closed to new replies.