Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • android geek help….stuck at first hurdle – unrevoked
  • neilnevill
    Free Member

Okay,
    HTC Desire…creaking and nearly end of contract, so root and custom rom time.

I’ve downoaded unrevoked for the desire to the pc.
    I’ve download the hboot loader from unrevoked to the pc
    I’ve turned the phone on in Hboot and installed the bootloader to the pc.
    phone off,
    phone on.
    connect to pc in charge mode, set usb debug to on
    run unrevoked
    and all I get is
    unrevoked open a window saying ‘waiting for device, plug phone in now’

I have never installed HTC Sync.

I can see this will be a long and painful process… help please 🙁

oh and custom ROM ideas welcome…I just want the phone to look the same-ish and work…it is creaking due to lack of memory. So, Mildwire?

Cougar

Make sure your HBOOT is the right version; some use unrevoked and some use, uh, something else. It’s been a while, sorry, check the guide on Androidforums.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Ah…revolution–or-somthin-or-other?

themoodster
    Free Member

Install HTC sync and then uninstall or you won’t get the drivers you need. Check the stickies in the ‘all things root’ sub forum on Androidforums, the guides there are pretty fool proof.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Ah…so I need to install it then UNISTALL. weird.

why check elsewhere…STW knows all….doesn’t it? 😀
    or rather…I’m not a geek and even the basic explanations there have me going ‘wibble’ quite fast.

Cougar

Ah…revolution–or-somthin-or-other?

That’s the bunny. You need to use one or the other depending on, I think, HBOOT revision.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Ahh…..I’m on android 2.2.2 so unrevoked isn’t going to work is it? revolutionary here I come….one evening wasted, oops.

neilnevill
    Free Member

so…S-OFF and root 2.2 and 2.3 with revolutionalry guide …sat here?
    http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/503471-desire-all-things-root-guide.html

neilnevill
    Free Member

okay, now downloading htc sync. I’ll report back with the next ‘HELP!’ scream tomorrow no doubt, cheers all.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Charge only mode, is that the correct connection ?

bails

I rooted a while ago using Revolutionary.

It all went okay, I’m now using leedroid which looks like stock but allows you to use the SD card as internal memory. You run the revolutionary tool, then put a leedroid .zip file onto the SD card, boot into the custom bootloader and install the zip from there.

Potentially dangerous, but suprisingly simple in the end.

Edit: As above, I’m not sure connecting in charge only is the right mode.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I had all sorts of problems last night. installed htc sync but couldn’t get that to see the phone. think I now now, from searching round, I need the original version of htc sync from the sd card, not the latest, the latest version seems to not work with the desire (and hero). So I’ll get the old version of htc sync on the pc tonight.

I also tried to get adb running on the pc last night, downloaded sdk from one of the developer forums…followed the instructions..test by typing ‘adb shell’ at a command line prompt…FAIL. command not recognised. I hope I get better at this geek stuff.

charge only mode, with usb debugging set to on, that’s what the instructions said, it’s the only mode that does the usb debug and allows the adb scripts to work I think…presume…guess….i’ll check

neilnevill
    Free Member

right. I have sorted my htc sync problem and now used revolutionary to set S-OFF yeah!

Now trying to flash the recovery. Following guide here
    http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/579600-guide-s-off-root-htc-desire-revolutionary-updated.html
    or trying to. I want Ext4. following the link to the site the updater (free version) downloads a zip file which I can extract but has no .exe file…okay what next?
    Not to be defeated I paid for the full version..what the hell, its only 1.79 and now have that on my phone. trying to run that it asks for ‘busybox’ so download busybox. Busybox won’t istall until the phone is rooted….can’t root the phone until I have flashed the recovery…
    I’m stuck asgain
    HELP please..sorry….this is taking a while!

Cougar

Is the recovery a file along the lines of IMG58.ZIP? I forget the exact name, but if you copy this to the root of your SD it’ll autorun on boot.

FWIW, I don’t recall ever needing busybox when I did mine.

Cougar

PG58IMG.ZIP, it is.

Cougar

Though, for recovery, I think I just used an .apk of 4EXT.

neilnevill
    Free Member

ah. zip file contains 3 folders, xml file,arsc files and dtd files

the ext4 app on the phone asks for busybox and points me at the play store

neilnevill
    Free Member

that’s it cougar, the download is the .apk I click that and the coputer asks what to open it with, so I said winzip

neilnevill
    Free Member

searched my downloaded and unziped files, nothing containing IMG found

Cougar

the download is the .apk I click that and the coputer asks what to open it with

Run it on the phone, not the PC.

A file manager may help, try EStrong’s.

zip file contains 3 folders, xml file,arsc files and dtd files

As a rule of thumb, don’t unzip zips, ever.

neilnevill
    Free Member

run it on the phone…ah. The guide says
    ADDING CUSTOM RECOVERY

6) it’s time to install your recovery file.

a) Boot into fastboot mode (from off, volume-up and power or volume-down and power then cycle to fastboot option)
    b) Connect phone to PC through USB. You should see “FASTBOOT USB” on your phones screen.
    c) Open CMD (Start > Run > type “cmd” and press enter)
    d) Type “fastboot flash recovery c:\your recovery file name” where c:\your recovery file name is the exact location and name of the recovery file you downloaded.

So should I do that and use 4EXTrecoveryupdater.apk as the recovery file name then?

Cougar

I think that’s what you do to flash a .IMG or .ISO or similar. Sorry, it’s been a while, I can’t remember exactly.

A .apk should be run directly on the phone, it’s an installer like setup.exe on a PC.

neilnevill
    Free Member

grrr. cmd promt isn’t recognising the fastboot command, or adb….need to check how I’ve installed the sdk toolkit…clearly something isn’t right

time to pass on this until tomorrow…may need to ditch some more apps tomorrow as phone low on space ow it has ext4 app on it oh well, I can re install dolphin or something else once this is sorted

Cougar

cmd promt isn’t recognising the fastboot command, or adb….need to check how I’ve installed the sdk toolkit…clearly something isn’t right

CD into the directory it’s installed to.

time to pass on this until tomorrow…

Fair enough.

Might be worth posting on androidforums – good bunch, and probably more up to date than me.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Hmm. just tried the settings in the full ext4 app on the phone and finally got something other thsn the busybox message, I got to select a recovery and install yeah!…but no, it failed. device may not be s-off apparently….but revolutionary definitely did its bit and appeared on the hboot menu.

So how do I check if S-OFF is …off?

neilnevill
    Free Member

ignore…hboot screen, clearly says S_OFF

Cougar

Boot to HBOOT, it’ll tell you. Uh, power and volume down when you switch on, I think.

neilnevill
    Free Member

S_OFF is definitely set. I’ve rebooted 3 times and the ext4 app still reckons it isn’t. I’m now laying myself bare on the ext4 thread on xdadevelopers…..the big hitters are no doubt laughing at my patheticness already

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Rooting seems such a nightmare, I tried my Desire a few months ago, no success but I didn’t brick the thing at least.

swampi
    Free Member

I did my desire last night using unrevoked,couldn’t get PC to recognise my device although it would charge via USB, someone recommended cleaning the USB port carefully with a paper clip as pocket fluff builds up,yup that sorted the problem and I manages to root and put recovery on etc

neilnevill
    Free Member

how did you get the recovery on swampi?
    I’m getting a stiff ignoring so far on xda-developers forum

a bit more information….having thought this through more myself

I was trying to root the phone following this guide http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/579600-guide-s-off-root-htc-desire-revolutionary-updated.html

I successfully ran revolutionary and now have S-OFF, but I didn’t think CWM recovery sounded good so I didn’t let rev flash that. I am now trying to flash EXT4 recovery. I’ve put the full (paid for) app on the phone but that won’t work yet as the phone isn’t yet rooted, just S-OFF. I’ve downloaded the inital free version to my pc from th ext4 site and th guide tells me to fastboot flash that to the phone….okay but here’s my problem, a fastboot flash recovery file should be a .img shouldn’t it? the file I downloaded, from here http://www.4ext.net/ is a .apk file

.apk files are android installers I’m told…so should run on the phone, but how?

I also tried unzipping the .apk on the pc to see if it it had a .img inside…no.

I have a version of CWM downloaded on the pc, assuming that is a .img I could flash that I guess

I’m confused and don’t want to fastboot flash recover the wrong thing.

As an alternative, could I run revolutionary a 2nd time? if so, I could allow it to flash CWM, the phone is then rooted yes? so I could thenrun the EXT4 app on the phone and replace the recovery file?

any help would be gratefully received!

bawbag
    Free Member

Have you installed clockworkmod rom manager? I used that and it automated the process to a certain extent. I followed a youtube video on how to flash a Desire S and was successful. I can recommend Cyanogenmod 7.

bawbag
    Free Member

Also fastboot needs to be switched off, at least on the method I used.

Cougar

.apk files are android installers I’m told…so should run on the phone, but how?

Cougar – Member

A file manager may help, try EStrong’s.

swampi
    Free Member

revoked installs recovery..all done via rom exploit, where as my better halfs wildfire the firmware was to new and the loophole had been patched by htc

swampi
    Free Member

i just followed this guide linky

neilnevill
    Free Member

right. I have sorted my various and many bits of numptiness….but sorted it myself at least.

Now rooted and running a funky mildwild5 😀

gonna need to set the phone up again with all the apps and contacts and accouonts now….this could take a while but at leastthis I can do!

cheers all

Cougar

On a point of note,

From Gingerbread (IIRC) it syncs your app choices. So if you change ROMs, it’ll put them all back.

(Or, Titanium Backup ofc)

And, well done.

swampi
    Free Member

yay……i am using oxygen rom as it is very basic rom so runs fast and stable

neilnevill
    Free Member

Limited play so far.but seems super quick, powerful, flexible and stable. I have a New phone ¡ how do I check for the app sync thing?
    This is based on ICS

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘android geek help….stuck at first hurdle – unrevoked’ is closed to new replies.