Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Android capable USB dac?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Just treated myself to some audio technica M40x and looking for a usb dac that will work on my laptop and my galaxy s8+   Seems like the dragonfly black 1.5 is the go just wondered if anyone else had a suggestion before I hit the humid streets of Singapore to buy one.

SammyC
    Free Member

I have the original (well 1.2 I think) DragonFly DAC. I’ve been pretty impressed with it to be honest but I’ve stopped using is as the DAC on my new lappy and phone are good enough for the headphones I use most of the time.

Worth it if you have some decent headphones though.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah reviews are good. Just the S8 has quite a low output compared to other phones and the dragonfly doesn’t have output control, unless the app has it (but I think the app is just for firmware updates)

dannybgoode

Ifi iDac 2. But more pricey but brilliant. No headphone amp in it.

Chord Mojo if you want very nearly the best with a very capable headphone amp (cheeky plug – I’m selling mine at the moment).

retro83
    Free Member

/r/headphones on reddit has a wizard thingy which makes recommendations for this stuff

https://sites.google.com/view/dacampadvice/home

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Mojo would be nice but too much. Fiio make some well reviewed usb dac but there’s not many that really work well on Android

gobuchul
    Free Member

I use this app for both my DAC Magic and uber cheap Behringer USB DAC on my tablet.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro&hl=en_GB

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Dacmagic XS around the same price as the Dragonfly…..   I think it’ll be one of these. Local hifi shop has both so I’ll go have a listen. I don’t need super high end as the source isn’t, and the headphones aren’t, just slightly above middle will do me, for now. (Although I run my TV via optical to my amp, wondered if a wee powered DAC inline would be worth a go…..

aphex_2k
    Free Member

The Onkyo app is meant to be quite good too…

CountZero

The Onkyo app is meant to be quite good too…

It is that, been using it for some time. I like the EQ function, being able to create a custom audio curve for a variety of headphones and earphones, if necessary; a couple of pairs of IEM’s I use I leave as a flat response, others I tweak slightly. I also like the fade function, it actually works pretty well on shuffle play, each track segues into the next very neatly.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Using VLC / Foobar on Windows I’m super impressed with these headphones. The laptop seems to have more output than my phone does and I’ve set the output to 24bit 96000Hz and listening to some old Hip Hop albums which are FLAC. So Impressed!!!! I was tempted with the m50x but the reviews were great for the m40x and loads of people say they were the better (but cheaper) headphone. Not hi-end in any way but to my ears they sound fantastic.

Onkyo don’t seem to do a Windows version of their app but Foobar is more than enough.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Android capable USB dac?’ is closed to new replies.