Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Android apps on SD card
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Can you always install apps on SD cards on modern versions of Android? Or is it only some apps?

Mrs Grips needs a new phone and some mid-range models have less internal storage but include SD card slots.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

think a few might still not work.

I’ve cut my phone storage over a while getting things like pics off the phone etc. makes a bigger difference to storage.

nickjb
    Free Member

Even if you manage it internal storage always seem to fill up somehow. I’d lean towards any phone with a bit more internal memory. You need at least 16gb on most phones, although you might get away with 8 on some models (not sonys).

ampthill

Its still some Apps only

My 8Gb Sony is just a bit too little

But the knew version of Android warns you when you get to 85% used and then auto transfers everything it can to the SD card. So this has kept my out of trouble so far. On my old phone it was alot of head scratching about what could be moved manually

The rumor is that soon it will be any App from the SD card version of Android

petrieboy

Sonos control doesn’t work from SD and my mobile banking app didn’t play nice either.

Beware small capacity phones. I picked up a Sony M4 Aqua with 8g following a recommendation here. Thing is, once yo account for the space android and all the bloat ware Sony insists on, you are left with 1.3g. Yes you can probably run most apps from SD but not all. Just too much hassle to be with the few quid saved. Mines back in its box replaced with a Motorola with 32g for not much more.

Cougar

Stuff that needs to be present on boot has to be on internal storage. Anything with a widget, for example.

molgrips
    Free Member

Anything with a widget that you are using, or anything that has one at all?

Cougar

Good question; I’m not sure. Whether it lets you or not depends on the app, I think.

stumpy01

It’s only if you use the widget that you can’t stick the app on the SD card. Well, you can move it to SD card but you’ll get a warning about the widget not working anymore. Which is no problem if you don’t use the widget, but obviously is a problem if you do use it.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Doesn’t marshmallow give the option to merge the sd card with internal memory? and assuming marshmallow is widely available on new phones

breadcrumb

Something that’s a bit annoying is when an app updates and moves back to the phone storage.

First world problems eh!?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Also, when you update an app on the SD card, it moves it back to internal storage. Which is really, really, really annoying.

So, this really:

Beware small capacity phones

butcher

I wouldn’t know. Because you can’t move all your apps and data onto SD card, I don’t actually have the capacity to upgrade to the latest version of Android…

It’s the only issue I have with my phone. I’m not bothered about super slick performance statistics. Most modern phones work just fine. Kinda like riding with Deore or Sora groupsets. And I thought space wouldn’t be an issue being able to move stuff onto SD.

Unfortunately space is a massive issue, and I get low storage warnings every few days once caches and stuff fill up, I stop receiving email notifications, etc…

deadkenny
    Free Member

Problem with SD cards is they can be unreliable and generally slower than internal storage. Been through a few micro-SD that have just flat died and utterly unrecoverable, for no obvious reason.

I think some app writers insist on internal storage for performance and/or reliability reasons (reduces complaints when people have issues with the cards maybe). Though might be some other Android limitation, although Windows Phone is just the same with some apps insisting they can’t be moved to the SD.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks folks.

She bought a used Lumia 820 from ebay, same as her old one, and she’ll go sim-only.

Cougar

Problem with SD cards is they can be unreliable and generally slower than internal storage. Been through a few micro-SD that have just flat died and utterly unrecoverable, for no obvious reason.

The problem there is buying crap / counterfeit cards. I’ve never had either of those issues with a genuine branded card, only when I’ve bought own-brand cards or from unknown suppliers.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    The problem there is buying crap / counterfeit cards. I’ve never had either of those issues with a genuine branded card, only when I’ve bought own-brand cards or from unknown suppliers.

Mine have all been branded and from major retailers, including big name high street, or supplied with products. PNY, Samsung and Nokia brands. I wouldn’t be so bothered if I’d gone cheap and it’s my own fault but these I’d spent more on and still they crapped out.

I’ve never had issues with full size SD. It’s micro SD that are less reliable.

Though I’ve also had similar with Compact Flash with my SLR. Lexar and Sandisk, bought from top name photography shops, and had many die. The last one I’m on (Lexar) is on its last legs. Frequently not recognised by the camera or PC but still just about works with repeated inserting. Oddly gets worse the more I store on it.

butcher

Though I’ve also had similar with Compact Flash with my SLR.

I put a CF card through a full cycle in the washing machine and it still works perfectly. My story has no real value to this discussion, but it still amazes me.

deadkenny
    Free Member

To be fair, my SLR has had some serious abuse over the years. Been in my packpack both skiing and mountain biking and taken a number of tumbles 😀

As an aside, I wonder if xray scanner at airports have an effect. Claims are they don’t, but one thing in common is they’ve all been on flights. But then many other random possibilities.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As an aside, I wonder if xray scanner at airports have an effect. Claims are they don’t, but one thing in common is they’ve all been on flights. But then many other random possibilities.

I’ll just park that there…

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Is your phone made by Samsung? I know certain models had an issue with SD cards but I forget which models they were.

deadkenny
    Free Member

hypnotoad – Member
    Is your phone made by Samsung? I know certain models had an issue with SD cards but I forget which models they were.

It was Samsung in particular. Wasn’t just that it corrupted the card, it physically damaged it so it was totally unreadable or even detectable in any device. Happened a couple of times.

Had one do the same with an old Nokia (Symbian).

I’ve speculated before though that maybe it’s the abuse the phones get. In particular they’re with me on my MTB rides, including in crashes, and also when skiing, both in tumbles and sub zero conditions. Likewise with my SLR. All could be factors for killing the cards.

Had a few compact cameras though, also used in similar conditions and have the big size SD cards with no problems. It’s the micro-SD and my CF cards that die.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Android apps on SD card’ is closed to new replies.