Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Android app to mark yourself safe?
  • spooky_b329

Just wondered if anyone has come across an app that does this…we have a system at work that does the same thing, but with all the SOS emergency button type apps, I have not found one like the one at work. (which is SMS based, not an app)

Person nominates emergency contacts in order of preference.
    Person activates app when starting an activity i.e. cycling, walking alone from work etc. and states what they are doing and where.
    Person selects a ‘come back’ time or recurring interval i.e. 2 hours, or every 30 minutes.
    Selected contacts are informed that the app is in use.
    At the set time the person has to mark them self as ‘Safe’ with the option to end or extend the monitoring period.
    If the come back time is missed, the app would alert the user to respond and then countdown before alerting the emergency contacts. It would then alert contact 1, and escalate through contacts.

Bonus features would be if the app can over-ride ‘do not disturb/silent’ modes when the come back time is missed, and prompt the user to end their activity early if the battery is insufficient to allow the person to mark themselves as safe.

My employer uses it as they have a duty of care to their employees who may be working in a risky area (falling, remote areas, inner city estates etc) and I imagine other utility type firms would also use a similar system.

I’m interested as my wife has taken to using whatsapp to let me know when she rides her horse alone in the dark, and when she has finished. But she keeps her phone on silent and if she doesn’t let me know when she has finished, its not much use 🙂 It would be better if an app reminded her check in regularly and could over-ride the Do not Disturb feature (find my phone can do it so presumably its possible!)

lightman
    Free Member

May not be 100% what you’re after, but I use Endomondo (it has live tracking) so my partner can follow me on rides.

DickBarton

Someone on here made an app – HereIAm -you designate zones and can get the app to do things either entering or leaving a zone.
    Set a zone at Stables and when leaving message sent to you, then when returning and back zone, message to say she is back.
    You could set similar for your bike routes – set up a few zones on your route with alerts when entering and leaving…

footflaps

Can’t you share location on WhatsApp and then at least see where she is?

spooky_b329

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The issue would be she can spent several hours at the yard faffing with horses (like we spent hours faffing with our bikes). I know where she is its more reassurance for her just as much as me that I know if shes shes washing shit off its neck again (don’t ask) on one side of the barn, or trotting about (or not) on the other side of the wall.

The yard is 30 minutes drive away and she is often the last one up there so its a fair old trek , so once I’ve left it long enough to be confirmed it could be up to 2 hours before I arrive.

I suppose I can use a combination of Trusted Contacts to see if the phone is moving around and find my phone feature to force it to ring if I can’t get hold of her.

I’ll keep looking for an App, I bet there is one that will do exactly what I need, its just finding it in a huge heap of duplicate/copycat apps in the Play Store!

Flaperon

Not cheap but consider a Garmin Inreach Mini. I tend to go off the beaten trail a bit more but there are enough places in the UK without phone signal – especially rural areas – where it might be useful.

Fine line between making sure someone is safe and stalking them while they’re enjoying themselves IMHO.

brant
    Free Member

Fine line between making sure someone is safe and stalking them while they’re enjoying themselves IMHO.

Even in a marriage?

DickBarton

Annoyingly HereIAm is no longer available.

lesgrandepotato

Search for Lone worker protection apps, that’s basically what you are describing.

kid.a
    Free Member

Me and the wife use Google maps location sharing – https://support.google.com/maps/answer/7326816?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

It’s more so she can see where I am when I cycle alone off road at night (she worries, of course)

It works all the time, you don’t need to remember to turn it on. Which in my case is great. I did use WhatsApp location sharing previously, but you have to start it when you set off, which I often forgot to do.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Me and the wife use Google maps location sharing –

Agree. That or Glympse.

IME the thing the OP is looking for will be all but useless. The authorities won’t respond to someone being ‘overdue’ in any meaningful way. The OP will need to be checking out the situation himself, in which case a location will be more useful than a failure to Tx an ‘I am ok’ signal.

spooky_b329

Fine line between making sure someone is safe and stalking them while they’re enjoying themselves IMHO. Its for my wife’s reassurance as much as mine. She’d much prefer me or someone else to be there at the same time but its not practical.

It wouldn’t alert the authorities, only nominated contacts, which could be anyone i.e. me, the yard owner, the people in the house next door. More likely scenario is it alerts, I can’t get hold of her, and I can ring the guys next door and ask them to stick their head in and check all is ok.

Les Grande Potato, thanks I’ll take a look at lone worker apps 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Android app to mark yourself safe?’ is closed to new replies.