Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Android and Outlook synch, esp Tasks
  • midlifecrashes

So, what’s best. I have never used Outlook for my main email, calendar and tasks so never worried about it, but a friend has now switched to a smartphone and wants my expert help because I have the same phone. ❓
    Anybody been through this to save me the grief and restore my geekly aura?

Cougar

I found that the key is not to sync Outlook to Android, but to sync Outlook to Google to Android.

I evaluated a lot of products when looking for a means of syncing calendar and contacts. The one that worked for me was Gsyncit.

Tasks are a little different and not something I’ve ever really bothered with. There’s solutions like Remember The Milk (a cut-down version of Getting Things Done IIRC) which might be worth looking into; depending what he’s doing, this might be a better approach.

midlifecrashes

Ta for that, it isn’t on the Android market though, wonder why?

Cougar

Because it’s a PC application?

Nothing to do with Android, that syncs with Google automagically (assuming he’s not one of those tinfoil hat wearing belmers who refuse to have anything to do with Google yet bought an Android phone anyway).

midlifecrashes

Darn you and your obvious factual answers. She should be fine with that, if she gets along with the Google tasks idea, plenty of apps to show them, but no native app on the standard phone, bit weird that. Thanks again.

Moses

If it’s an HTC then the there is a downloadable program that can be used to sync the phone to Outlook. I use it, & it’s fine.

Cougar

That is, I think, HTC Sync. The newer phones have something else as well IIRC.

Never used either, myself, never saw the need. Why faff about plugging it in and syncing when I can just do it over the air?

(That said, I originally set all this up on a Samsung which wasn’t supported by the software it came bundled with (!) so I didn’t have a lot of choice.)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Android and Outlook synch, esp Tasks’ is closed to new replies.