Android and custom ROMs – anyone here fettle?

Home Forum Chat Forum Android and custom ROMs – anyone here fettle?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Android and custom ROMs – anyone here fettle?
  • aphex_2k

Just put 4.4 on my Nexus 10, been running since this morning. Feels very smooth. Also running Temasek’s v1 4.4 ROM on my i9300 (S3).

Just wondered if there’s anyone else out there that has done their N10 and what people think of 4.4

I_Ache

Been thinking about it for my HTC Sensation just to get rid of the bloatware including sense with the hope of making it faster and smoother.

aphex_2k

You’ll probably find doing a factory reset will have the same effect and as long as you’ve backed up, virtually risk free and simple.

cranberry

I have done in the past with my Desire Z, and have rooted a Note 10.1. It can be good for getting rid of bloat and giving an older device a new lease of life. Can’t say I plan to root my S4 though.

aphex_2k

4.4 on my S3 seems stable and looks quite nice too. You should be getting the OTA update pretty soon for the S4, carrier depending…

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

I run cyanogen mod 7.2 on my desire s.

It works great, nice and ‘clean’

Premier Icon spawnofyorkshire
    Subscriber

not rooted, but installed nova launcher on my S4. Looks and acts like 4.3 and is genuinely quicker than the standard touchwiz crud that samsung install

if need be i can uninstall anytime. Might be worth a play with on your HTC before trying anything else

edit: looks like an update will bring some 4.4 niceness to nova launcher linky

I_Ache

Nova Launcher is pretty cool. Thanks for that.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

there’s a new easy installer for cyanogenmod now too.

One-click Cyanogenmod installer in the Play store

a good way of getting a lighter slicker build on to an old samsung without the manufacturer bloatware.

lovewookie

running CM10 on my tab 2 and GravtyMod2 on my THL chinese phone.

love a bit of fiddling about.

🙂

mostly to get better sound out of them.

Premier Icon nickjb
    Subscriber

I put cyanogenmod on my cheap Chinese tablet which was a bit slow with the version it came with. Seemed to work better. My Nexus 4 runs a pretty clean Android 4.3 and its pretty slick so I haven’t bothered to do anything

lovewookie

Actually, jus notices kitkat for the tab2 now…guess what I’ll be doing tonight….

yep, bricking tablets….

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

as you asy nick, I wouldnt bother cyanogen’ing my Nexus 4, but Im considering doing it to my boy’s old 7″ pad.

I_Ache

So this cyanogenmod, do you still have access to the play store and all your original apps or does it totally separate you from official apps? Also does using the above installer wipe your phone entirely and leave you with no way of returning?

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber
    jekkyl

be careful cyanogen mod doesn’t let Strava work. When I had it on my phone the gps signal wouldn’t hold and it never ever completed a ride. I looked into and found an offical note on cyangenmod site saying no strava but endomondo works fine!

Haze

Tried PA3 on my Nexus 7 for a while, didn’t really add a lot so back on stock firmware now.

I_Ache

Boo the sensation isn’t supported but thanks for the link Stoner.

aphex_2k

There’s a Nexus Toolkit if you google – there’s a couple actually. Unlocks the bootloader, root’s and downloads and installs for you. I used it to stick 4.4 on my N10. Really simple.

sobriety

I switched my old desire over to a properly clean version of android before I gave it to my Dad. It made the phone faster (and a newer android) than my Mums brand new (Christmas present) samsung galaxy ace 2. I’m looking forward to the warranty running out on my S3, so I can make it ultra fast…

I’m keeping my original desire going with cyanogenmod 7.1 – it’s much better than the stock version, I didn’t get on with the HTC Sense ui.

Was easy to set up, too, the one click installer worked great.

I ache…its been a while since I dabbled but I’m sure there are alternatives to Cyanogen.

I did my original HTC Desire and installed a stripped out vanilla android ROM called dGB. I tried a few ROMS but dGB really made a difference to performance and battery life. My wife now uses it after crushing her smartphone under a horse and then later on driving over it whilst looking for it 🙂 Seems perfectly stable, her only complaint is when turning off the phone you get some bootloader options (and the complaint is she doesn’t understand them, not that they are a problem)

Anyone tried doing a Kindle Fire HD? I would have bought a Nexus tablet out of choice but I won it so no complaints…fantastic screen and sound but I just want some sort of desktop on it rather than Amazons ‘carousel’ of recent items. (and an ability to use standard apps)

lovewookie

I used to love playing about with my old San Francisco 2. lots and lots of ROMS for that, probably as it’s such a cheap phone it’s good to play about with.

Fish N Chips, CyanogenMod, Slimbean, plus variants of them all.

Only one or two for my new phone, but it’s not a ZTE, or popular chinese phone, so quite glad I’ve got at least one alternative.

My THL was fairly stock 4.1, but now have 4.3 which gives me a few more bits and bobs and better sound, hopefully not long until kitkat arrives for it 🙂 and I can see what that does.

Kitkat didn’t want to install on my Tab2. meh.

xiphon

Used to use cyanogen before jumping ship to iOS

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

I’ve used custom roms on several devices. On my old HTC HD2 (win phone originally) it was vastly better. Also got KatKiss 4.3 on my Asus Trasnformer TF101 tablet which has made it super fast again. Finally running vanilla rootbox 4.2 on my Galaxy S2, again much nicer than stock.

@lovewookie – i have a tab2, but it all looks quite complicated to get a custom ROM on the device. I have to “root” it right? before i can do anything?

aphex_2k

Temasek (v3) 4.4 variant of CM11 nightly ROM currently on my S3. With Paranoid Android GAPPS for 4.4. Super smooth and looks really nice too. Still rocking the vanilla 4.4 for my N10 and really happy with both.

lovewookie

@back2basics, yeah you need to root it first, this is the method i used for my p3110 (go to settings>about tablet to get model number, or it’s on the back of the tablet…)
    then follow this: guide

then pick your rom and GApps for the android version. Make sure it’s for your model though.

aphex_2k

It’s complicated the first time but once you’ve done it, switching ROMs is a doddle. Sometimes you think “why didn’t they make it like this in the first place?”

My wife now uses it after crushing her smartphone under a horse ………………. Seems perfectly stable,

😆

birky

Might have to give rooting/rom a bash. My Tab 2 10.1 is really laggy since the update to 4.2.2 🙁

@lovewookie – thanks for the link, makes it look pretty easy, well, easier than looking through XDA forums , i’ll give it a butchers tonight!

Slimbean is very good.

aphex_2k

Slimbean, CM, Carbon, PA, Temasek, AOKP there’s heaps of developers. OmniRom is a pretty new one. Tried that over the weekend but went back to Temasek’s.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Android and custom ROMs – anyone here fettle?’ is closed to new replies.