• This topic has 52 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Andrew Weatherall gone……….
  • somafunk

Andrew Weatherall has died

Aww for **** sake…….one of the greatest DJ’s and all round top bloke possible, gone.

BoardinBob

That’s a sore one. Played Glasgow regularly. A huge legacy

DezB
    Free Member

Holy crap. Same age as me. Very sad. The creators of 2 of my fave albums die a few weeks apart 🙁

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

holy shit you are kidding. ah man RIP

NYC101009

myti
    Free Member

Bloody hell my mates just saw him the other day. Gutted.

NYC101009

binners

Really sad news. He was a genuine pioneer who changed the face of modern music and by all accounts just a genuinely lovely bloke

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Gutted, soundtrack to my youth. ill raise a glass while listening to some Sabres this evening.

exile_smoggy

Gutted, true legend – one of the people who made me realise there was more to music than just jangly indie guitars. Will be forever grateful RIP

dmck16
    Free Member

That’s a gutter 😔

One of the best sets I have ever experienced was when he played Sub Club alongside Matthew Dear (despite being stone cold sober working behind the bar!)

Matthew played first and was perfectly fine, but within just a few minutes of Andrew taking over it was like the whole room had been electrified. I don’t know what he did or how he did it, but it’s something I won’t forget for a long time. Couldn’t help but dance alongside the punters for the rest of the night.

Then at the end of the night he stuck around, chatted to us all while we cleared up – a genuinely nice bloke.

2tyred

Oh my **** God.

That’s horrendous. Not just a bona fide musical genius (a term easily applied but completely accurate in his case) but a genuinely lovely man as well.

I’ve had so many wonderful nights thanks to him.

Many many years ago I used to work on the door at Glasgow’s Sub Club where he played regularly. When I worked there, every time he played he would arrive at the door with his boxes, head downstairs and get set up then later on, reappear back upstairs with as many pints of lager as he could carry, for the guys on the door (even though we weren’t really meant to be drinking!) For no reason other than being a total gent. Always sat around at the end til the death as well, chatting music with anyone who wanted to, genuinely interested in everyone’s opinion while always being The Knowledge. Came to a couple of afterparties as well.

From Boys Own, Shoom, Loaded, his dub stuff with (and reverence for) Ade Sherwood, introducing Plastikman, THAT set on the Back 2 Basics metal tin compilation, all the Sabres output, all the random mixes, his influence on the music I’ve grown up and older with is enormous. I never felt sad when Bowie died, his music was never formative for me. Weatherall’s was, this is awful news.

Fast forward several decades and his Music’s Not For Everyone NTS show is my favourite thing on the internet. I’ll never forget the tingly feeling I got when he played my mate’s band on one episode a few years back. So excited. All of the Love From Outer Space with Sean Johnson is amazing too.

There’s nobody who has introduced me to as much music as he did – even this week, I’ve a wee list of stuff to track down. **** sake.

Colin Potter! Who else would have shone a light on him?

senorj

Quite upset about this. I love his music, particularly sabres of paradise.
    Our paths crossed quite a few times ,mainly in the 90’s/2000’s. He would always say hello.
    You could pop in to the old blue last on a random Wednesday night and he would be sat in the corner playing rockabilly & reggae tunes. That always turned into a late one. 🙂
    & Every time he would personally get me into sabresonic made my heart soar(silly fanboi) . And then there was the daft punk gig , another late one…..;-)
    He was an absolute Chap. RIP Andrew.

ajantom

Ah ****, that’s crap.

Saw him plenty of times (and met him to speak to on a few occasions) in London in the mid to late 90s.
    Great musician and producer, and a lovely man.

Saw him clear a room with really harsh techno after a very chilled Red Snapper gig once. **** hilarious!

chakaping
    Free Member

Well that’s a bit of a blow, he was a true great and oozed integrity.

From the early remixes…

To some of the most beautiful electronic music ever made…

To his moody, textured, underground mixes of the last decade…

Extra goosebumps from Smokebelch today.

sandboy

I was only playing Screamadelica for the kids on Saturday!! The man was a musical genius who was responsible for the soundtrack to my youth. RIP Andrew.

jamj1974

Another one gutted here. No personal connection – just music that touched part of my soul.

RIP.

dannybgoode

Saw him in Cologne, Germany in 2008. Complete chance – me and my mate were looking for a decent club night and saw he was on. Played a belting set and when I went up to the booth with my camera and shouted ‘give us a smile Andy’ he duly obliged.

He’ll be missed…

View post on imgur.com

faerie
    Free Member

Oh! That is sad, he’ll be missed by many. He was one of my favorite producers and djs, I spent many nights (and mornings) dancing to his beats and he even played at a friend’s wedding. I don’t remember when he came for tea, but there’s photos so it must of happened. 😥

Futureboy77

Gutted. Weatherall has been a constant since Screamadelica and my first forays in to the world of acid house.

Bizarrely, I was listening to Screamadelica on the way to work this morning.

danti

Shocked!
    Remember him playing a belting set at the Orbit.
    RIP

stanfree
    Free Member

Very sad news indeed , I remember him doing some local rave nights up North early nineties. The Come home mix is absolutely wonderful . He seemed to avoide the superstar Dj trajectory that Oakenfold took. Rest in Peace Andy

h4muf
    Free Member

Absolutely gutted.
    Only love can break your heart.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Had haunted dancehall and Stockwell steppas on this avo. Brought back a few good memories. Hazy afternoons kicking back to the sabres.

redstripe
    Free Member

Very sad, did some great stuff, was at school with him. Remember him getting suspended for dying his hair.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

That’s a real shame. I’ve spent many a hazy afternoon/early morning listing to his Slow Your Circulation mixes (as well as SoP and a million other favourite tracks he had a hand in).

I always felt a little connection with him because I bought an old Saab 900 from his brother back in the noughties. It was the car that used to take him around the country to gigs. Always used to think of him when I was coming back late from a club or a festie. Slow Your Circ in the tape player, wondering it I’d ever sleep again.

RIP

winston
    Free Member

Just terrible – as so many have said the soundtrack to my youth, back in the good old days when music was music

If I ever get to do desert island discs there was always going to be a Screamadelica track on there.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Come home mix is absolutely wonderful

He got that one just right eh? Dunno if I heard it played out BITD but it would still take the roof off a lot of places now, probably.

stanfree
    Free Member

Primal Scream Party Mix

This is a great mix , The unreleased Orb , Little fluffy Cloud mix at around 11 minutes is something else.

cheers_drive

A bit of a shock. Sabres of Paradise will be on rotation tomorrow.
    RIP

corroded
    Free Member

Total legend. Listening to Two Lone Swordsmen and sort of remembering the late nights.

andykirk
    Free Member

I thought he was a hugely talented man.

gordimhor

Shocked and saddened.  He along with one or two others opened up a whole new genre of music for me.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve seen a couple of very good obits, if anyone’s interested…

https://mixmag.net/feature/rip-andrew-weatherall-obituary-dj

https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/3621

DezB
    Free Member

RA have posted up his classic Essential Mix too:
    https://www.residentadvisor.net/news/71998

chakaping
    Free Member

Really liking that Primal Scream birthday party mix.

Digby

Had haunted dancehall and Stockwell steppas on this avo

Sabres of Paradise’s Haunted Dancefloor was one of my favourites from the mid-90s.

They played The Leadmill in Sheffield as part of a Warp Records night with LFO and Autechre … the whole night was just mental! #ClicksAndBeeps

Very sad loss indeed!

john_l
    Free Member

Sabresonic at London Bridge was one of my favourite nights. That night that the Dust Brothers followed Dave Clarke – oh wow.

Captured for posterity on Exit Planet Dust.

Was also properly upset by this news yesterday, he was such a huge part of my early ’20s.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Very sad indeed. Chatted to him about old punk records one night when he was DJing in Liverpool. He was really nice to talk to.

zbonty

Assumed I’d find a thread here.

Gutted as everyone else. Followed him closely since the early 90s. Got loads of his output and have seen no one else play as often let alone such a broad range of musical styles. From London, Croatia, his own Convenanza festival and all stops in between. A very hazy yet memorable night at his studio, the Rotters Golf Club, where Richie Hawtin played and David Holmes and Primal Scream we’re staggering about.
    No one better at putting on one record after another. Or a perfectly executed spin-back!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Andrew Weatherall gone……….’ is closed to new replies.