Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Andrew Niell leaves GeeBeebies
  • allanoleary
    Free Member

Is this the beginning of the end of something that never really began? I truly hope so. Thankfully I can’t get it on Freeview and I’m not going looking for it on YouTube so haven’t watched at all, but judging by some of the headline names the channel really does deserve to just dwindle into nothingness

MSP

Rats jumping off a sinking ship.

Klunk
    Free Member

the income from advertising for joining a horse owning syndicate probably not able to pay his wages.

ransos
    Free Member

It’ll now go for a full on culture war and be far more successful as a result.

hatter

It was never commercially viable, Murdoch was looking at doing something similar but decided it wouldn’t be profitable.

So… what do its GB news’ backers want if it’s unlikely to make money?

To influence the conversation, to start social media storms that suit their agenda, to legitimise certain talking heads so they get booked elsewhere.

Sadly I expect all too many will take the bait.

dannyh
    Free Member

Too many are already salivating at the mere prospect of the bait.

dogbone

While GB News has struggled in the ratings, with some programmes registering as having zero viewers, it has had some successes on social media, with one recent monologue attacking the US president, Joe Biden, attracting 10m views on TikTok.

How much money would 10 million views make? Seem like this is their target.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I think a good proportion of the audience is people watching in order to get upset by it, some because they agree, some because they disagree

The audience numbers are low, the heat it generates by those it triggers is just free advertising of a format that will get shut down before the next election

10 million views make?

Half of which will be russian and Chinese bots

nickc

It was never commercially viable

…As Neil intended it to be, a right of centre actual news channel, it clearly had no hope.  As a UK version of Fox news, what it’s new staff production crew and owners want,  it’ll probably do just fine.

sirromj

This may as well be about the BeeGees for all the relevance it has to me. Only came here to signify my indifference and wonderment that someone leaving the BeeGees was worthy of my attention. IZ DISAPOINTZ

goldfish24

It’ll now go for a full on culture war and be far more successful as a result.

This.

kimbers

Yep, they’ll have Katie Hopkins on next

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Steady on Kimbers that was my prediction…

MoreCashThanDash

Yep, they’ll have Katie Hopkins on next

That will be the interesting “ideological” tipping point – she is so far beyond the pale even for many right wingers, her appearance will show just how crazy they are prepared to go.

espressoal
    Free Member

On a moment ago was interview with John Altman promoting his new CD, John Altman? John Altman was Nasty Nick Cotton in East Enders, he’s a singer now seemingly, who knew? no wait..who cares?

Then it was Virginia Wade, she used to play tennis..Wait! Neil Oliver is on next..need to go, he’s the best live career collapse ever.

wzzzz
    Free Member

So glad I clicked on this thread.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Neil Oliver is on next

I had a peep. Inspired me to get some Inktober practice in.

ctk
    Free Member

There is room for a new news channel but not another right wing one. With a mix of non establishment opinions it could have had a chance.

PJM1974
    Free Member

On a moment ago was interview with John Altman promoting his new CD

Whoa, that’s genuinely the worst thing that I’ve ever heard – all the vocal range of one of the Martians from Mars Attacks.

And in that awful video he’s crooning over a woman young enough to be his granddaughter. Eww.

Drac

Cancel culture.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

GBNews problem is that it isn’t a news channel, it’s an opinion channel, and the opinions are just to get a reaction. For most it’s a reaction not to switch it on.

PJM1974
    Free Member

GBNews problem is that it isn’t a news channel, it’s an opinion channel, and the opinions are just to get a reaction. For most it’s a reaction not to switch it on.

Yup. Spiked! Television. We really get it, the sponsors don’t like the “woke liberal elite”.

onehundredthidiot

Reminds me I needs to cancel my times subscription as Neil Oliver has a column and I don’t want to contribute to his wages.

grum
    Free Member

Reminds me I needs to cancel my times subscription

Good luck with that. I used to have a subscription and they don’t make it easy to quit, then keep hassling you to come back.

kerley
    Free Member

Was the mistake trying to run a 24 hour new channel as the method to do it. Nobody is going to watch it of rtes news as the quality is poor so are people who are interested in the opinion pieces going to be watching TV or will they just be going to other sources on internet? (following groups/people, looking at Mail online etc,.)

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Is Andrew Neil Oliver still doing Coast or have the BBC given him the boot?

dannyh
    Free Member

Neil Oliver – what a plum.

I used to love taking the piss out of his ‘more like a character from Macbeth than a character from Macbeth’ act when he was originally playing second fiddle to Nick Crane on Coast.

Still, Coast gave us Alice Roberts, so on balance putting up with a second rate luvvie masquerading as an opinion former and historian is a price I’m willing to pay.

Why can’t these people just have their mid-life crises quietly?

dannyh
    Free Member

darthpunk
    Free Member

Why is Neil Oliver always wearing a Buff (or whatever it is) round his neck, Every time I see a pick of him he’s wearing one, what’s he hiding? My bets are either some sort of Nazi tattoo or love bites from Farage

I’m sure he just thinks it makes him look all “outdoorsy”

When i think of Neil Oliver, I think of:

grum
    Free Member

I still don’t understand how their lighting/sound etc compared so badly to your average tik tok account. Either the people doing it were incredibly incompetent/didn’t care, or they couldn’t afford some LED video lights off Amazon.

footflaps

Half of which will be russian and Chinese bots

Only half?

The Russian Troll farms have a bigger budget than GB News!

I still don’t understand how their lighting/sound etc compared so badly to your average tik tok account. Either the people doing it were incredibly incompetent/didn’t care, or they couldn’t afford some LED video lights off Amazon.

I guess it’s like the Tory cabinet where the only membership criteria is ‘are you an ardent Brexit fan’. With GB News it’s ‘are you a racist troll’. Unsurprisingly you end up with enthusiastic half wits..

chakaping
    Free Member

Hmmm, nobody saw that coming, eh?

😀

The channel’s not gonna last a year IMO. It might have rock bottom production values, but it’ll still be losing money hand-over-fist and even the arseholes who finance it won’t stand for that indefinitely.

dannyh
    Free Member

‘are you an ardent Brexit fan’

‘are you a racist troll’

enthusiastic half wits

The overlaps are large.

dannyh
    Free Member

the arseholes who finance it won’t stand for that indefinitely

Depends if the longer term political (and thus financial) payout is deemed worthwhile.

There’s money and influence to be made stirring up division and hatred. See also Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson, Dominic Cummings etc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I would have thought the payout would be more in terms of “advertising revenue”.

Say you’re a semi reclusive millionaire with unpopular political opinions that could make you a tidy sum if they were held by those in power.

You can’t actually bribe the Tory party , but you can bung a whole load of money to a media outlet for them to pedal your views directly to the voters.

I think they’re just holding out for the next Brexit + JCB+Wetherspoons.

fasthaggis

I feel Andrew Neil missed his true vocation.
    He would have made an excellent Bond baddie or Baron Harkonnen in the new Dune.

As for the Oliver fella,I thought everyone knew that the long hair and buff was to cover up..
    Plugged

tjagain

You can’t actually bribe the Tory party

yes you can – loads of folk do it. large donation to individuals or party funds – see Jenrick etc

footflaps

the arseholes who finance it won’t stand for that indefinitely

That ex-actor Fox seems to be funded by someone and all he seems to do is say something stupid on Twitter and then get ripped to shreds by people far smarter than him (a pretty low bar mind).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Andrew Niell leaves GeeBeebies’ is closed to new replies.