Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 201 total)
  • Andor
  • nickc

Troubled.

Andor is supposed to be set at the very beginning of the Rebellion, and yet at the very end…well I won’t spoil it. So we’re now to assume that all the events of the rebellion that is depicted in Ep4 – that it is in fact rather than a desperate group of rag-tag individuals, but an army with a command structure, weaponry, and all that goes along with that happen in between the ending of Andor and Ep4?

I think I’m complaining that yet again the need to supply nerds with easter eggs – in this case the things that they’re building in prison are linked to something else…Really I don’t care about what they’re were building, it’s unimportant. The constant urge that the makers of these series feel that they must signal to a group of nerds living in the parents basements really really gets in the way of telling decent stories.

The-Beard

It feels like the one bit of Star Wars that’s properly grown up. Best thing that’s come out of the Star Wars universe since the original trilogy for me.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Troubled.

Andor is supposed to be set at the very beginning of the Rebellion, and yet at the very end…well I won’t spoil it. So we’re now to assume that all the events of the rebellion that is depicted in Ep4 – that it is in fact rather than a desperate group of rag-tag individuals, but an army with a command structure, weaponry, and all that goes along with that happen in between the ending of Andor and Ep4?

Andor is meant to be set 5 years out from Rogue One / Episode 4, so I see this as either a flash forward so that we understand what the parts in the prison were being used for, ultimately the thing that kills Andor. Or that it is just an external shell at this point and needs a number of years for it’s internal fit out.

Really enjoyed this series.

chakaping
    Free Member

Meh, just pretend you didn’t see the silly Marvel easter egg bit.

The episode was a fine end to an awesome series.

But was it just me that wondered how he found and got to Stellan Skarsgard’s ship?

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

He parked it in the same place as the time he picked andor up from ferrix. When andor saw him there he knew where to go to his ship.

Really great series, enjoyed it hugely.

a11y

That was bloody brilliant. I purposefully avoided opening this discussion as we were late into it then binge-watched up to ep8, then had to wait and watch the last few week by week. Best series of the lot so far.

Need to go back and read this discussion now…

ads678

Cracking end to the series. Can’t wait for the next.

Slow start, but was more me not really getting what it was all about until about half way through….I’d completely forgotten Andor was in Rogue one!! All suddenly made sense once I realized and I realized what they were making as well. Don’t think we really needed the Easter egg at the end.

anagallis_arvensis

Just caught up with the last episode, fantastic overall a great series I thought. Hints at enough grown up stuff to keep adults in and still let kids watch…

matt_outandabout

Very good.
    Intriguing ending.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Troubled.

Testing and commisioning, space trials, crew training, platform integration, human/alien factors assessments. Bet its an arsehole of a job getting a star destroyer into active sevice, nevermind a death star

MoreCashThanDash

Intriguing ending.

I was a bit befuddled by the ending, to be honest. Was wondering if there was 5 minutes they’d forgotten to edit in.

fossy

The Empire was there all along building stuff – storm troopers were about. The local enforcing lot probably joined/got zapped. All along there was some serious kit already there – the tractor beam ship ?

Loved it.

kelvin

Early on in the season it was announced that the private local enforcing lot on Ferrix were to be replaced by direct control by the Empire, with forces on the ground.

thols2

I enjoyed it, much better than the other spin-offs.

lister

Just finished it off. That was awesome. First series of Mandalorian was good but this was better. Nice and dark.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Echo a lot of the other comments – head and shoulders above the other Star Was spin off series that have come before. Enjoyed every minute of them to the point where I’m tempted to go back and watch them again…

mashr

Best series to go with the best movie (Rogue one, if not obvious). You could tell it was the same writer behind it too. Really enjoyed that, almost made up for the steaming turd that was Obi Wan

cookeaa

Troubled.

Meh, one out of context Easter egg doesn’t really take the shine off the series IMO.

I think the thing I most like about the series is already knowing how and when Andor’s life is going to end, where Mon Mothma finishes up etc, is the ‘gap filling’ for how they got there. Which is probably ‘fan-service’ but whatever, those gaps are one of the few bits left in that particular fictional universe where a bit of creative story telling can still happen, JJ pissed all over the later timeline, and George went and made the prequels…

saucemerlin
    Free Member

What a fantastic series. It felt really nicely paced and not trying to fit X number of car chases or Y number of big explosions in per every 10 minutes. As above, I’m a tad confused as to how he found Axis and his ship at the end, perhaps the only part that seemed a bit rushed.

Overall, though, one of the best series I’ve watched. I don’t normally make it past episode 2 of anything.

doom_mountain

It’s taken me a while to catch up but i really enjoyed that.

Very well written and acted. The character and world building was superb. Also, it looked amazing, set and costumes were movie level. I felt that Book Of Boba and Obi Wan looked pretty cheap and ‘flimsy’ ( thought they were ok, wouldn’t watch again). This had a solid, lived in feel.

Loved all the stuff with the ISB, the gleaming white interiors and bureacracy. I felt this really expanded on what the Empire was.

And the prison break build up and finale was great. Andy Serkis is a terrific actor when he’s not hidden by cgi…

The only negative was the lack of Saw Gerrera, more Forest Whitaker please. I’m assuming / hoping he’ll have a live action spin off…?

vintagewino
    Free Member

I liked what we saw of Saw. It’s cool that he’s a lot less mangled than he is in Rogue One, I liked the implication of the battles to come. I was however slightly troubled by the x-wings he had parked out the front of the cave. If they are already in use at this time why don’t we see others here and there?

Alex

We liked it. My wife has sat through Obi Wan and Boba Fett while I couldn’t be bothered with either after a couple of episodes. But I really liked Andor (more than she did). Definitely more gritty/realistic than some of the other spin offs. Loved the prison break. And definitely a good empire back story.

doom_mountain

I was however slightly troubled by the x-wings he had parked out the front of the cave. If they are already in use at this time why don’t we see others here and there?

Maybe they were prototype or first generation? I can see someone as badass as Saw Gerrera wanting some fast attack ships : )

cookeaa

I think what I like is that it’s more like a cold war thriller or WW2 spy drama but set in the SW universe. Playing out all the little ways in which those that will ultimately organise the rebellion have to compromise their own ethics and make decisions that sacrifice lives and/or bait the Empire into becoming more repressive just to help push more people towards the rebellion…

By the time we get to Ep4 the likes of Luke/Han/Leia sort of get to operate in a less morally ‘grey’ version of the rebellion with much clearer “Goodies” and “Baddies”. That moral ambiguity was touched on in ‘Rogue One’ especially with Andor, you learn from the outset that he’s capable of doing quite hands-on shitty things for the greater good. This series is doing a good job already of showing how he gets to become that person, along with developing the back story of a few other characters.

I was however slightly troubled by the x-wings he had parked out the front of the cave. If they are already in use at this time why don’t we see others here and there

As mentioned before this is set approx. ~5BBY(ish?) so you have to assume at least some of the slightly banged up, grubby looking X-wings you eventually see zipping around the Death Star are already in service at this point. The same sort of Tie Fighters we see in Ep4 already exist, and Saw and his buddies are kind of in hiding too at this point, building forces and kit up, the rebellion is a disparate bunch of cells still and they don’t want to go giving the Empire too much of a clue about the X-wings or any other kit/capabilities they might have just yet, so you won’t get lots of ‘X-wing Vs Tie’ Dog fighting. I think it still fits in with the continuity…

I will say however I would like it to run for no more than two seasons (of 12 episodes), there’s always a danger with these things that they milk it for five+ seasons because it’s popular and they’re desperate to generate SW content, in doing so Disney could well ruin Andor.

chakaping
    Free Member

cookeaa

Good post.

Yep, 1970s cold war/paranoid thriller vibe was the predominant theme. And the production design definitely referenced that era of filmmaking.

I can’t see them doing more than one more series, maybe two at a push if filmed concurrently, not least because of the calibre of talent involved. And I totally agree, less is more. If only JJ had got that memo.

vintagewino
    Free Member

As mentioned before this is set approx. ~5BBY(ish?) so you have to assume at least some of the slightly banged up, grubby looking X-wings you eventually see zipping around the Death Star are already in service at this point.

Sure, but who is building these things? The Mon Mothma plot is all about her secretly pulling together money to fund the rebellion, so you’d assume the rebel supply chain hasn’t got it together yet to build all the capital stock you see in ANH. So if there’s x-wings contemporaneous with Andor that would suggest they are pre-existing designs but you don’t see them anywhere else at all.

That’s the only bit that jarred for me. Though I appreciate I am probably overthinking it!

I do like the idea of Saw as the progenitor of the x-wing program though…

vintagewino
    Free Member

I can’t see them doing more than one more series, maybe two at a push if filmed concurrently

series 2 is filming now

PrinceJohn

I will say however I would like it to run for no more than two seasons (of 12 episodes), there’s always a danger with these things that they milk it for five+ seasons because it’s popular and they’re desperate to generate SW content, in doing so Disney could well ruin Andor.

It’s my understanding that S2 will finish at the start of Rogue One.

slackboy

Sure, but who is building these things?

Apparently the empire chose Tie fighters over X wings as they were cheaper to build.

So basically X wings were the losers in a military design competition, so yes an existing design and developed from the older z95 model.

zilog6128

Apparently the empire chose Tie fighters over X wings as they were cheaper to build.

no, the designs are distinct so children wouldn’t get confused telling the goodies from the baddies. Everything else is just waffle made up by nerds 😉

So basically X wings were the losers in a military design competition <SNIP>

see above 😃

Though I appreciate I am probably overthinking it!

very, very much so 😂

kelvin

A toy of the ARC-170, another predecessor of the x-wing…

Lego

Yes, it’s all childish nonsense, but the idea that tech is designed, repurposed, evolved, improved, built, and destroyed… all adds to the world building. In this case it reminds us that the Rebels were always on the back foot with their weapons, working with an update of older inferior tech, and less of it. Like the Death Star building link in this series… and other series… adds to the scale of the thing, and the “cost” of it.

zilog6128

Give over, none of that makes great, compelling TV. Andor is good despite Star Wars, not because of it. Focusing on nerd-stuff rather than, you know, acting/dialogue/production/plot is why most “franchise” stuff is so mediocre, I’d argue it’s generally a negative influence as it’s generally just used as a crutch to avoid having to be original or creative. Andor would’ve been just as good as a totally original story (better, probably).

kelvin

It made great use of a timeline and universe that already existed… and added to them. I mean, the whole seeds of the rebellion thing is central to all the story lines and the experiences and choices of the characters. Yes, that the characters were well developed and well played is absolutely key to why the series worked (but also why some people found it slow at times), but that’s all built on existing Star Wars story telling. It definitely adds to it, IMHO, more so than some of the other TV stuff.

mattyfez

I watched the first few .. I like it.. it’s good, better than the avearage Disneyfied BS. it’s an 8/10 from me.

Mounty_73

Just finished watching the series, I really enjoyed it, the best SW series so far for me, although I really did enjoy The Mandalorian too.

verses

Loved this

chakaping
    Free Member

That’s awesome 😀

More of an ’80s vibe than 1975 though?

vintagewino
    Free Member

that Andor 75 clip is amazing, I wish that had been on Saturday morning TV when I was a kid.

In a similar vein, one of the Instagram accounts I follow recently posted some AI-generated images of Tron as imagined by Jodorowsky… somebody needs to make this stuff for real!

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I’ve avoided reading this thread as I was enjoying slowly working through the series.
    I thought it was absolutely flipping brilliant! Loved it.
    First thing since series 1 of Fargo that has captivated me.
    Bravo!

mattyfez

Yep, definitely has legs.. I realy enjoyed the first series having watched it all now, sci-fi done right rather than just relying on the Star Wars IP to carry it.

I especially loved the toad people who were about to kill Andor, but i’m still slightly confused as to how they all flew off into the sunset together.

Anyway, it’s a solid thumbs up from me.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 201 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.