Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 201 total)
  • Andor
  • danieljohnreynolds

Yeah – a few nice little nerdy throwaway references to Skariff and Ryloth <spelling could be sh’te here> at the ISB briefing was cool too!! And the kyber crystal necklace thing pointing at Rogue One.

toemul
    Free Member

Going to watch this because a, my lad just signed up to Disney and b, watched some of it being filmed up the road from me in cleveleys

thols2

It’s the only Star Wars spin off that I think is actually good. That’s because it’s not a kid’s show.

MoreCashThanDash

Just binged the first 3 episodes. 2 happy fans here. Lots going on in mysterious and dark ways.

I’m late to the party, but 3 episodes in I’m in this camp

scotroutes

I’m late to the party, but 3 episodes in I’m in this camp

I was in this camp…

matt_outandabout

Just watched episode 4 – and recognised ‘my’ camp spot next to the waterfall in Tilt. I hope they’ve left the perfectly flat spot inside the walls..they seemed to have moved the stones.

uberscott

Another mtb-haunt location was Jelley’s Hollow in the Surrey Hills. The crashed ship scene in Episode 2 was filmed there.

jeffl

Found last week’s episode a bit of a drag. Basically the same as the week before; setting the scene for the heist. Feel like they could have been combined into one episode.

configuration
    Free Member

I liked the scanner thing the young lad had; it’s an old Polaroid SX70 camera! 🤣

footflaps

Was slow to get started but much better from 3 onwards. Up to E06 now….

anagallis_arvensis

A slow start is no bad thing if the acting and the plot can carry it. No idea where it’s going next but enjoying it.

matt_outandabout

I liked the scanner thing the young lad had; it’s an old Polaroid SX70 camera! 🤣

They keep pouring milk from KellyKettles too.

dyna-ti

Their guns(Rebels) appear to be based on the AK47 shape.

stuart_c
    Free Member

The flashback campsite and lake that the ship flew over just before crashing was at Black Park, Wexham. Have a picture of the campsite somewhere…

Pretty sure it was last summer I saw it there.

As for the show, yes a very different take on Star Wars tone. Enjoying it more than some of the other Disney+ stuff being created at the moment.

giant_scum
    Free Member

One of the Empire guards when the meteor shower was going on is an old neighbour of mine.
    I didn’t notice but his older sister was very proud and posted pics on fb.

spacemonkey

Another mtb-haunt location was Jelley’s Hollow in the Surrey Hills.

Is that not Sleepy Hollow (between the Windmill and Judges Seat)?

Klunk
    Free Member

I do like the trolling of george lucas, “good guys” do shoot first! 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

fantastic cast!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I think it’s excellent, it’s slow and political and it plods along but I could watch it all day, the lack of gimmicky aliens and the Britishness of it helps, there’s something very nostalgic about it and it reminds me of sci-fi from back in my childhood.

pk13

I loved it tbf

stumpyjon

Bit of a filler episode but probably important to show what made him become a rebel.

MoreCashThanDash

I think it’s excellent, it’s slow and political and it plods along but I could watch it all day, the lack of gimmicky aliens and the Britishness of it helps, there’s something very nostalgic about it and it reminds me of sci-fi from back in my childhood.

Disney will not be happy with the comparison with Blakes 7

I’m really enjoying it still, which is a surprise considering I gave up on Mandalorian.

thols2

Mandalorian is a (pretty decent) kid’s show. Andor is a pretty decent drama. It’s not really a sci-fi show, if you set it in the Middle Ages, it would basically be Robin Hood.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes it’s fun watching each new Star Wars series and working out the genre(s)

Mandalorian – Western / 80s teatime show
    Boba Fett – Western / gangster (& samurai?)
    Kenobi – Kids drama
    Andor – Slow, gritty ’70s thriller

I also enjoy the little moments of homage to TV and movies past, like the Miami Vice tribute scene when we arrived on the tourist planet where Andor was living, with the camera filming the space flamingos from overhead.

nickc

Hmmm, so far it for me it’s been more like

Mandalorian – Kids show
    Boba Fett –  Kids show
    Kenobi – Of limited interest to nobody apart from really really nerdy Star Wars fan immersed up to their armpits in SW lore
    Andor – Vaguely interesting, but still well below the standards of pretty much all the rest modern sci fi you can access on Nwtflix or Prime, like Stranger things, Severance, Westworld etc etc.

footflaps

and the Britishness of it helps

You mean Fiona Shaw – who is excellent in everything she does.

zilog6128

It’s not really a sci-fi show

none of Star Wars is sci-fi, it’s a fantasy-drama about wizards and WWII dogfights (in space 😂).

I think it’s excellent, it’s slow and political and it plods along but I could watch it all day, the lack of gimmicky aliens

in fact as per this, Andor is barely even Star Wars… probably why it’s vaguely watchable 😃

mrdestructo

Empire puts out new laws pushing citizens over the edge. You watch the unfairness and then the despair that breaks them, causes them to act.

On both sides of the line people are being pushed into depression. But the body language of the main protagonist inside the factory was powerful acting. I’m betting he had to go sit alone somrwhere watching cartoons for a while to lighten up after that.

BenjiM

You mean Fiona Shaw – who is excellent in everything she does.

Is this tongue in cheek? She’s Irish!

I’m really enjoying it, way better than the car crash that was Book of Boba Fett. It requires a bit of thought, particularly looking at it from the position of you know where it’s going with the rebellion and all.

There’s just little things that make it for me, like “there’s the toilet”, sucking on the food pipe etc.. Lot’s of things that you wouldn’t necessarily see in Star Wars of old.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve enjoyed the latest ep the most tbh. It’s a real slow burner, and def needs more Fiona Shaw, but now the nerdy security guard from ep 1 is becoming more of a player It’s get more interesting

thols2

I like it. It’s entertaining.

itsallgood

Best of the new series, I liked the orange /white design nod.

Rogue One is the only half decent film since Disney.

mrdestructo

There’re stories going around on scifi websites that the despair/depression that Cassia displays in the factory is because of the parts they’re mass assembling. Death Star parts. Ultimately their deaths in Rogue One. Something itched in me when the camera’s focus was on them, and I kind of guessed the parts were for something like this, everything linked

stumpyjon

Seeing a the rebels don’t know about the death star for another 4 and a half years it’s unlikely although I would suspect the parts are for the death star.

I suspect the despair is due to being wrongly imprisoned for 6 years.

dyna-ti

I like the fact there is more attention to detail in Andor, especially with the characters. They seem more than the 2 dimensional with the likes of Mandalorian or Boba Job.

The scenes are longer so we see more of whats going on, either the scenery or between the actors, rather than the scene constantly jumping. Far more depth overall.

configuration
    Free Member

I love the visual style; it’s much more like original Star Wars, rather than the abominations that were the second trilogy. Simple, yet effective. Sainsbury’s egg slicers, Polaroid cameras, Ak47s, and in episode 7, I was particularly excited to see the Barbican centre feature! Very good choice of location. Liking the Imperial characters too; humanises the Empire, and in doing so, creates a better connection with our real world, so adds depth and substance to that side of things. This is definitely the best of the SW franchise spin offs so far.

I liked the orange /white design nod.

Very nice. The original SW films were legendary for costume design; some serious work went into creating them, so much research, so much fantastic design talent involved. Sumptuous.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I do like the Mandalorian a lot but I think Andor is the best of the TV spin offs by a long way. I think they needed it too, Boba Fett and Kenobi were disappointing, another one in the same vein as those two and they’d have been starting to squander a lot of the goodwill people have towards Star Wars IMO.
    Also I thought Rogue One was easily the best of the newer films.

chakaping
    Free Member

Latest episode was the best yet IMO, the slow build starting to pay off.

Andy Serkis and the Imperial woman both superb.

MoreCashThanDash

Forgot it had dropped – do I go to the gym tonight or watch it while MrsMC is out?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 201 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.