Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anderson shelter repurposed as a log store.
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

A couple of friends pointed me in the direction of some Anderson shelter panels never quite knowing what I might use them for. Then, I had a Eureka moment.

These came came from South Queensferry, a stone’s throw from the naval dockyard at Rosyth. Their original owner procured battleship spec paint to preserve them. Seventy years on, they are still pretty bombproof.

Lets see your random storage solutions

Drac

Seventy years on, they are still pretty bombproof.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ikea bags
    Stackable, strong, can hold 20Kg in each bag. With straight logs they “pop” square so easy to build up as a wall.

Coincidentally, I’m just off out to the wood store to fill 40+ and bring in to the boiler room/house.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Removes the logs and hurriedly reassembles into its original purpose. Suddenly feels that a tin foil hat is inadequate

Dickyboy

As if you didn’t already have enough logs stored – they do grow on trees you know

fasthaggis

It’s ok McM,Fife is well protected by golf courses.
    The Trumpster won’t nuke the golferists 😉
    Excellent use of those shelters BTW.

scaredypants

Removes the logs and hurriedly reassembles into its original purpose. Suddenly feels that a tin foil hat is inadequate

I was about to say, …

aracer
    Free Member

I suspect most people are opening this thread planning to add similar comments, scaredypants. Chatting to my neighbour this morning he said he was buying lots of concrete blocks (though I didn’t get it instantly – we’ve not really talked politics before).

mcmoonter
    Free Member

A trailer load doesn’t go far. The light coloured wood is a mix of Scots Pine and Sycamore. The smell is potent.

teasel
    Free Member

The smell is potent.

Genuine envy accompanied with a LOL. I only have a recently felled fir to sniff – not half as pleasant.

DezB
    Free Member

Lets see your random storage solutions

I’ve got some CDs in a cardboard box. Does that count?

granny_ring

Very ocd neat stoner 😉

matt_outandabout

I dropped a Holly at the weekend.
    It’s lobbed in a random pile until I can be arsed to spilt it down.
    #antimoonter

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I’ve scrounged some Camphor wood. Sadly the scent has faded.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The octogenarian John Adam came up asking if I would cut down a tree for him and if I would plant a few in it’s place.

He’d never been up the drive in all the time he’d been at South Glassmount, he called our park the Glebe

I said I’d show him my wood piles so he could see where his tree would end up. We had a great chat, I liked him a lot

We walked back down the drive to the front of the house where I found he’d driven right across the sodden lawn only just missing an urn.

He gave me a neep

I went down this afternoon and we tugged the wind blown Beech from the arms of its neighbour with the tractor. It’s been bugging me seeing it there on the horizon since it fell.

Stoner
    Free Member

a hung-up tree is a compelling itch.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Someone else had had a bash at getting it down, but all they managed to do was make its removal all the more precarious.

I tried winching it with my Tifor but all I managed to do was pull the Land Rover towards the tree. The tractor was the only option.

It’s good to see it gone.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I like that mcmoonter.

If we are comparing wood piles then i think I’m doing ok for a londoner that’s just started burning

this winter’s ~6m3 in the old shed

winter 2017/18, opposite corner of the garden, pallets and tarp over about 5m3

and still to be processed for 2018/19, i reckon 2-3m3 of ash

and

just to be on the safe side i collected a car full of fir from the local tree guy earlier this week

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Chapeau, that’s some woodpile for someone in the city!

There is surely a market for the Anderson shelter woodshed. If it were made so that the rolled arc covered a standard sized pallet I think it would be a winner. Just whack a nail through the tin at the base and bolt it at the top and it would be a robust construction.

Worthy of a Kickstarter scheme?

neilnevill
    Free Member

Thanks! 😀 I’ve been working hard, collecting from a local tree surgeon his free softwood (mainly), plus a few other sources. Its amazing how much goes in the boot of an Octavia, that last photo of the fir for example is one car load, it was down on the springs a bit but nothing silly.
    Only bought the stove last July/August and started collecting then in prep for burning this year. Stove went in last month, had building control round for sign off today.

I like the anderson shelter, and yes make it so it fits a standard small (3’x4′) pallet, 4 to 6′ high maybe, if it could be sold at a nice cheap price it could do well. it better than tarps for sure. Kickstart on!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anderson shelter repurposed as a log store.’ is closed to new replies.