Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Anders Breivik makes the case for Brexit
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Possibly one of the most un-democratic things to have occurred anywhere in modern rimes.

When does “modern times” start then jamba?

I reckon I could find, I dunno, around 47 more undemocratic things to have happened in the last decade – let alone “modern times”. So go on, when does modern times start for you? We can get going on listing some then.

Or is it another jambafact?

LHS
    Free Member

This doesn’t necessarily have a lot to do with Brexit but more to do with what you believe fair and reasonable punishment is for his crime. Some would say being incarcerated is enough, others would go for the death penalty. In reality it would be somewhere in between.

I personally think his treatment is fair in line with the crime he committed. If he doesn’t like it, he shouldn’t have murdered all those children.

wwaswas

Quote from one of the survivors;

Our best weapon in fighting extremism is humanity. The ruling in the #Breivik case shows that we acknowledge the humanity of extremists too

who are we to argue?

crankboy
    Free Member

my thanks to the op for a genuinely funny post that has brought a smile to a grim day.

Junkyard
    Free Member

THey do not even need to be a member of it according to the EU or our govt.

Some believe that withdrawing from the European Convention on Human Rights would mean leaving the Council of Europe. However, the EU Treaties do not deal with any linkage between EU membership and ratification of the European Convention: whether, for example,
    adherence to the European Convention is a formal requirement of continued EU membership, or a benchmark for a human rights standard that Member States should achieve and sustain.

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN06577#fullreport

I would cite more but its not like the actual facts will alter your view of reality or the EU.

I assume you can cite the specific EU legislation that supports your claim.

#Jambyfact

konabunny
    Free Member

Norway voted not to join the EU but the government was so pro they signed up for pretty much everything. Possibly one of the most un-democratic things to have occurred anywhere in modern rimes.

Classic JAMBAFACT!

Norway ratified the ECHR in 1952. It was the second country to do so. It did so six years before the Treaty of Rome was signed to create the European Economic Community, 41 years before the European Union was created and 42 years before the Norwegian referendum on EU membership.

http://www.scandinavianlaw.se/pdf/51-18.pdf

unknown
    Free Member

Ha ha, this thread is full of pwning!

GrahamS

Norway ratified the ECHR in 1952. It was the second country to do so.

And the first was the UK, in 1951.

kimbers

😆

BurnBob
    Free Member

The European Convention of Human Rights were drawn up following the atrocities of WWII. To include this in any modern political argument seems a little irrelevant. A very good bit of work getting it implemented following the war which has no doubt saved lots of lives.

Northwind

“He took his perspective and used it to fill in the bits of the world he didn’t know, like a sloppy kid with a colouring book and a limited tin of crayons.”

jambalaya
    Free Member

You guys are absolutely hysterical so desperate to find a straw to clutch. I was commenting purely on the undemocratic actions of the Norwegean Government in relation to the thread title.

Junky – for you from the ECHR website front page. I am sure you and your fellow STWers can understand what it means

The accession of the European Union to the Convention denotes the process whereby the European Union will join the community of 47 European states which have entered into a legal undertaking to comply with the Convention and have agreed to supervision of their compliance by the European Court of Human Rights. The European Union will thus become the 48th Contracting Party to the Convention. Required under the Treaty of Lisbon, EU accession to the Convention is destined to be a landmark in European legal history because it will make it possible, at last, for individuals and undertakings to apply to the European Court of Human Rights for review of the acts of EU institutions, which unquestionably play an increasingly important role in our everyday lives.

It matters not when we signed/ratified it, what is important is that we cannot withdraw unless we leave the EU

pondo

It matters not when we signed/ratified it, what is important is that we cannot withdraw unless we leave the EU

Where does it say that above?

Junkyard
    Free Member

so desperate to find a straw to clutch

Yes we are desperate and you were correct.

I was commenting purely on the undemocratic actions of the Norwegean Government in relation to the thread title.

That is an example of clutching at straws 😆

Members of the EU are obliged to be bound by the judgemnets of the ECHR

That entire piece relates to the [State of the] EU and its institutions and does not even mention members of the eu once. I am sure we can understand what it means.Will you be joining us?What we wont understand is how you could possibly think it in anyway proves the point claim you made.

#jambyfact the government disagrees with AGAIN what is the proof of this claim as that isn’t it.

zomg

The ECHR is a convention (it doesn’t make judgements); the ECtHR is a court set up under the convention (it makes judgements, but countries are not bound by them).

Ireland has multiple ECtHR judgements against it over the prohibition of abortion. Makes no bloody difference to anything: it’s still a national political issue, political parties ignore the judgements to avoid antagonising the grey vote.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m starting to feel that the constant use of #jambyfact may in fact be a breach of Mr J’s human right to not be persecuted for basically making shit up. I think he would have a good case if he took it to the ECHR.

Our best weapon in fighting extremism is humanity. The ruling in the #Breivik case shows that we acknowledge the humanity of extremists too

Maybe it’s age, maybe it’s my brain getting spongy but I can’t disagree with this, the fact that as a society we can rise above petty concepts of revenge is a good start.

BigDummy
    Free Member

When I saw the title of this thread, I assumed that Breivik himself had weighed into the debate with some of his well-considered political thoughts.

rickmeister

I like the concept of a single sliding scale of punishment, from mild misdemeanor to very naughty indeed,

Something like:*

Withdrawal of pudding
    Application of microwave dinners
    Ingestion of picolax
    Death

*there may be a few gaps in this sliding scale….

DrJ

“Brexit”, “Breivik”. sounds sort of the same. It makes you think, doesn’t it?

mt
    Free Member

Tell you what makes me think, not much.

Why is it Brexit shirley Britex sounds better.

konabunny
    Free Member

I was commenting purely on the undemocratic actions of the Norwegean Government in relation to the thread title.

Ahh, the eurotunnel defence: when I said the thing that I said, I didn’t mean what it meant, I meant something else.

crankboy
    Free Member

My life is still grim but this thread keeps giving . Best to form opinions based on facts rather than to form opinions then try and make facts fit them .

konabunny
    Free Member

what is important is that we cannot withdraw unless we leave the EU

That’s not true, and it’s not what the link you refer to says (as you’d know if you’d actually read it).

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Best to form opinions based on facts rather than to form opinions then try and make facts fit them .

It’s STW – that’ll never happen!

Sounds like a classic case of trying to cover your ass & talking nonsense in the process….

P-Jay
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member

Quote from one of the survivors;

who are we to argue?

More than good enough for me. Case closed I’d say.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Is now the time to point out that super human rightsy Norway has some of the lowest reoffender rates in the world?

There’s a lot wrong with this thread besides the usual Jambanonsense.

fionap

I think the quote above is from the R4 interview with the survivor, Bjorn Ihler, yesterday morning:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03rqm9g

It’s only 3 minutes long and well worth a listen. Very moving and humbling comments.

ransos
    Free Member

Can we not just hang the little shit and be done with it?

You know how Brexiters keep moaning that we shouldn’t let the EU tell us what to do? Any chance of letting the Norweigans decide for themselves what they do with him? I refer you to the quoted comments from survivors…

konabunny
    Free Member

In the 1990s, there was an occasion in England where a child was killed by other children, and an occasion in Norway where a child was killed by other children. In England, mobs gathered at an adult court to see the killers convicted and imprisoned. What happened in Norway?

http://m.smh.com.au/world/rights-and-wrongs-a-tale-of-two-killings-20100322-qr8e.html

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its a salutary lesson

Also worth looking at the [near zero]rates of child murders/deaths in scandinavia as well

I often wonder, though it might be just my bias, whether this is one ot the unintended consequences of fuckk you ,me me me capitlaism we employ here.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Anders Breivik makes the case for Brexit’ is closed to new replies.