Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • And then there were four…
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

My stashes of cut logs are standing on top of the Snowdrops which are already coming up. So in a race against Spring we are going to build a last Holz Hausen.

I’m leaving my brother in charge of splitting while I have an errand to run. What’s the worst that could happen.

fasthaggis

You need to seek professional help,this wood thing has gone too far.

🙂

robdob
    Free Member

There’s soon not going to any wood left for anyone else, it’ll all be on McMoonters estate with him guarding the gate screaming “IT’S ALL MINE!”. 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

I really, really hate you and your life.

can I come and live with you?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It’s land art. I want to have a group of them like Monet’s Haystacks by the first snowfall.

Harry_the_Spider

It is starting to look like a scene from Dr Who and The Terror Of The Holz Hausen.

fasthaggis

The sign at the bottom of McMoonter’s drive.

🙂

globalti
    Free Member

I notice there’s a reduction in density of the forest in picture 2.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

This is how that space looked on March the first last year after I’d fired up the Fergie to start the studio build.

jools182
    Free Member

you’re just showing off now 😉

CaptJon
    Free Member

How long a supply do you have?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

do you ever burn any of your wood?
    Seems a shame after the effort that goes into stacking it…

twinw4ll
    Free Member

It’s not how big the wood is but how you use it.

fasthaggis

do you ever burn any of your wood?

Don’t be silly man,he is building it up like some bitcoin empire.
    It will send wood market prices Holz Hausen sky high.

😉

john_drummer
    Free Member

<foreign language pedant alert>

struggling to remember my O Level German from 1980 but isn’t “Hausen” the plural of “Haus” ?

so another one would be “another Holz Haus” ?

</pedant>

mcmoonter
    Free Member

JD – I don’t speak German, but every visitor we have says the same thing. When I google Holz Haus, I just find wooden houses, when I googlle Holz Hausen I find woodpiles.

Contrary to popular belief I do burn the wood. I will probably be a few years before I get around to it, but it will all get used at some point. I’ve all but emptied an old woodshed an am about to start using another.

I have a couple of good wood sources, while they are forthcoming I will keep chopping and splitting. It might amount to a couple of days a month. It’s time I have between jobs, I love working outdoors, it’s rewarding on many levels.

geoffj

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, there’s a big turbine hall that would look good with a couple of them in.

stumpy01

john_drummer – Member
    <foreign language pedant alert>

struggling to remember my O Level German from 1980 but isn’t “Hausen” the plural of “Haus” ?

so another one would be “another Holz Haus” ?

</pedant>

/pedant mode thing…..

German plural of house if Häuser…

/pedant mode thing off…..

lucien

I think this guys wood story is better TBF 🙂 STW wood story

Bunnyhop

Saw my first snow drops today and thought of you, how weird then that you mentioned them.
    Ours are showing a bit of green, no flower heads as yet.

grey

Saw my first flowering Snowdrops today about 20miles along the road from MM’s.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Saw my first snow drops today and thought of you, how weird then that you mentioned them.
    Ours are showing a bit of green, no flower heads as yet.

It’s a good deal colder up here, we are at 600 feet, so they usually flower a bit later. There are loads of green shoots sprouting.

CountZero

Saw my first flowering Snowdrops today about 20miles along the road from MM’s.

I was over Lacock last Sunday, walking around the Abbey grounds, and there were quite a few already out on flower, but it’s been fairly mild down here.
    Oh, and if anyone’s prepared for the zombie Apocolypse, it’s McM. At the first signs, I’m heading North… 😀

Cougar

/pedant mode thing…..

German plural of house if Häuser…

/pedant mode thing off…..

You did well there. Spelt “Häuser” correctly and failed to spell “is”. (-:

Muphry’s Law.

samuri
    Free Member

I like. Do you find not having a roof over them slows their drying at all?
    Some of the reading I’ve been doing suggests it makes little difference.

We’re just reaching the end of the wood we stacked around June. It’s quite dry, cracks in the logs, sound hollow when banged. It burns really well and for a long time.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

That’s the job done. I split the last of logs this morning and finished off the tops of the existing Holz Hausens. Just in the nick of time as the snow drops are peeking up.

Northwind

That tree in the foreground must be shitting itself.

roach

😆

user-removed
    Free Member

You did well there. Spelt “Häuser” correctly and failed to spell “is”. (-:

Muphry’s Law.

“Muphry”?! [/pedant]

🙂

Bunnyhop

Northwind – you are one of the reasons I continue to read STW, I vote you as one of the funniest people on here, you make me smile and laugh on a regular basis, which is a really good thing. Thanks 😀

Muke
    Free Member

mcmoonter I saw 😉 this in the Gif thread and thought of you…

CountZero

Northwind – Member
    That tree in the foreground must be shitting itself.

😆
    Quaking Aspen?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Muke, that Gif is awesome. I like how the the star shoes splitter adjusts to the centre of the log. It’s easy to see how a pro could split tons of wood in a day.

trout
    Free Member

I was feeling real chuffed this afternoon after sawing up this lot by hand 😀

That had the wind well and truly nicked when I saw this thread 8O.
    one of those wooden houses would probably last me to the grave on my 4KW stove

CountZero

I think mcm has insider knowledge as to the start of the next ice age, and he’s laying in supplies…

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘And then there were four…’ is closed to new replies.