Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • and the Queen gets a 6% rise on 40 odd million a year
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member

The Royal family is a massive draw for tourists.

Well they should be on display a bit more often. I’ve been outside Buckingham Palace quite a few times and I’ve never seen any of them 🙁

Perhaps they could take it in turn to wave from the balcony ?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Everyone understands the role of the Queen’s Private Secretary to the Sovereign right?

to act as a channel of communication between the Sovereign and his or her governments

neilthewheel

you can bet that Blair and his misses would trying hard to get in as head of state. then the cost would really mount up.

I’ll keep the Queen if the alternative was some …. like Blair, Brown, Thatcher, your politician of no choice.

Would anyone vote for them?
    There’d be nothing to stop Elizabeth Windsor or any of her family from standing, and if the public decrees she’d get the job.

scandal42
    Free Member

Don’t worry, think of all the inheritance tax due in the near future.

ourmaninthenorth

I saw the Queen the other day at Ascot. Treasonous thoughts passed through my mind and then I realised that, by being there, I was part of the problem.

So I cut off my own head and put it on a spike.

teef
    Free Member

Don’t worry, think of all the inheritance tax due in the near future.

The Monarch doesn’t pay inheritance tax – what a surprise!
    Not content with dodging income tax for most of her life – what about some back tax, interest and fines?

footflaps

So I cut off my own head and put it on a spike.

Very magnanimous of you!

mudshark
    Free Member

If we didn’t pay the agreed payments we’d have to give back the Crown Estate I suppose. We’d be worse off if that happened.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The Monarch doesn’t pay inheritance tax

Well not qualifying for inheritance tax shows just how skint they are. They need to generate more income.

mefty
    Free Member

OMITN earlier:

Lawyer: “Doctor, before you performed the autopsy, did you check for a pulse?”
    * Witness: “No.”
    * Lawyer: “Did you check for blood pressure?”
    * Lawyer: “Did you check for breathing?”
    * Lawyer: “So, then it is possible that the patient was alive when you began the autopsy?”
    * Lawyer: “How can you be so sure, Doctor?”
    * Witness: “Because his brain was sitting on my desk in a jar.”
    * Lawyer: “But could the patient have still been alive nevertheless?”
    * Witness: “Yes, it is possible that he could have been alive and practicing law somewhere.”

BillMC

I hear a lot of work is needed in the palaces so money gets spent on that.

The front of my cottage and tunnel needed painting. MY money and effort has to go on that, she gets hers paid for by me too. Happily, since I don’t live in palaces the job was completed while this discussion was taking place. I do look forward to being a citizen rather than being infantilised as a subject.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

mudshark – Member
    If we didn’t pay the agreed payments we’d have to give back the Crown Estate I suppose. We’d be worse off if that happened.

Yes, I wonder how much they bring in to the Exchequer? I bet it’s increased by more than 6% since the last royal allowance change.

Not that I’m a monarchist, either, but the financial argument against Brenda Windsor’s family doesn’t stack up.

totalshell

40 million a year is a lot of coke and hookers.. the old girl and her fella are worth every penny he served in the war got seriously shot at and came through with a smile.. hes 90 odd now and liz ant far behind and while most folk there age are dead and buried or in a nursing home they still turn up to open every fete and gala going..

MSP

We could just keep it, kick them out of our newly acquired castles and let them fend for themselves on a southern sink estate.

grum
    Free Member

the old girl and her fella are worth every penny he served in the war got seriously shot at and came through with a smile..

Which side was Philip Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg on?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

let them fend for themselves on a southern sink estate.

Balmoral was purchased privately by the Royal Family and therefore not Crown property, so Her Majesty and the RF are perfectly capable of fending for themselves in their north of the border bolthole

athgray
    Free Member

BigDummy – Member

Under the Sovereign Grant Act 2011, she gets a sum equal to 15% of the income of the Crown Estate.

If the income of the Crown Estate has gone up, then the Sovereign Grant goes up.

The Crown Estate’s income typically increases more than GDP, inflation, your pension, your wages or anything else, because very large concentrations of capital tend to generate bigger returns than smaller ones, or indeed labour.

I’m no fan of there being a queen, but HRH getting an extra 6% this time around isn’t a product of gittish Tory gits being gits, it’s a product of a good annual return on investments that her income is linked to.

Tory plans to increase subsidies for offshore wind are certainly directly beneficial to the Crown Estate. I don’t see why governments think the crown should receive payments equal to 15% for development in the sea within 12 miles of the coast.

I would rather have seen onshore subsidies maintained.

Although not a money earner, why should the Crown Estate receive any money from any gold/silver discovered in a persons land?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Ah, **** it – it’s 59p I can afford.

As others have said, unless we’re prepared to strip the crown of its assets its self funding – they get 15% of the income the estate generates. It doesn’t go into Liz’s post office account it pays for things like maintence on Buck Palace, some of which hasn’t been touched since the 50s.

You can bleet all you like about ‘privilege of birth’ but try telling someone trying to feed themselves by picking a landfill in Lagos that your hard done by because you weren’t born Royal.

nickc

Can we not privitise them?

The Queen bought to you by Pepsi?

I mean, if they’re that much if a tourist draw then someone will be prepared to pay them a wage, surely?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Yes. That I would privatise. And tax!

grum
    Free Member

You can bleet all you like about ‘privilege of birth’ but try telling someone trying to feed themselves by picking a landfill in Lagos that your hard done by because you weren’t born Royal.

I keep seeing this kind of argument and it’s a really bad one. It’s a fundamental misunderstanding (being generous) to suggest that people who dislike ludicrously excessive disparity of wealth are pissed off and jealous because they want to be richer themselves.

I don’t want any of the royal family’s money for myself, I’m fine – but there are people in this country genuinely struggling and even dying through poverty. It’s obscene to see the queen preaching austerity surrounded by gold, wearing a hat worth £1000000.

Yes the poor in this country don’t have it as bad as the poor in developing countries but that’s just ‘whataboutery’. It’s still wrong.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/benefit-cuts-deaths-revealed-how-5939071

‘We’re all in this together.’

anagallis_arvensis

So something is ok if something unrelated is worse. Wow thats convinced me!

BigDummy
    Free Member

Wow thats convinced me!

It’s telling that that remark was so daft that no-one’s bothering with jive even.

😉

andermt
    Free Member

Very much personal experience on the Tourist thing as I used to work for a Japanese company, the people in Japan were interested in the Royal family when speaking to them in Japan, but it was all about the shopping when the were actually in London.

About 15 years ago whilst visiting London we wandered past BP and there were a lot of tourists around as usual. There seemed to be some security movement going on around the entrance to the palace and the gates, we then noticed a couple of blokes walking across the courtyard they then walked out the gate and across to Green Park, both myself and the Missus found it very amusing that we seemed to be about the only people there who realised one of the blokes was Price Andrew.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

royal family = the big flash criminals/drug dealers in YOUR town flashing around in all their fancy stuff, living in their massive houses going on their expensive holidays …. while all the time living off the misery of the town around them! and some people love them and some hate them.
    THATS the royal family!
    IMO of course 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

the only people there who realised one of the blokes was Price Andrew.

To be fair, that’s a bit like recognising one of the members of Take That who isn’t Robbie Williams or Gary Barlow while walking around a branch of JD Sports in Leominster. Good knowledge, but you can’t really expect the less-dedicated fans to get very excited.

😉

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘and the Queen gets a 6% rise on 40 odd million a year’ is closed to new replies.