Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • And so it begins………………………….
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The number of road bikes in the shed has halved compared to Monday, and I just spotted the first “used 3 times, i prefer motorbikes” Scott Foil on ebay.

How long do you reckon it’ll take the momentum to build and the bargains to start appearing?

sobriety
    Free Member

Whoop Whoop! I’ve been hoping for this as I’ve decided that I need road bike with a carbon frame and gears.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

It’s forecast to rain on Sunday so I guess that’ll be the end of a fleeting romance for many. Great to see so many people out on bikes this morning, let’s hope some of them stick with it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Whoop Whoop! I’ve been hoping for this as I’ve decided that I need road bike with a carbon frame and gears.

Pretty much the same here, plan to buy something and swap out the frame, then sell my old bike with ‘new’ bits on it. Really hoping for something aero like a scott foil or dolan ares……..

eyerideit
    Free Member

Cycling home through Kensington last night I saw some guy on a spanking new Canyon AEROAD CF9.0 SL. He had full team kit on and made a point of stopping in the middle of the road.

Then when the lights turned he couldn’t get his foot in his carbon clipless pedal. 😳 I pootled off on my 23 year old steel bike with a smug feeling inside.

I’d jump at the chance of of bike like that .

maxray
    Free Member

I pootled off on my 23 year old steel bike with a smug feeling inside.

And like the Murphy’s I’m not bitter..

😉

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Why have people started using the term ‘swap out’ rather than just plain old swap.

Swap out – is it different

eyerideit what make of carbon clipless pedal was it?

wwaswas

Swap out – is it different from swap?

‘swap out’ is what Americans do.

‘swap’ is what Noel Edmunds did.

‘replace’ is what decent English people do.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why have people started using the term ‘swap out’ rather than just plain old swap.

Swap out – is it different from swap?

I honestly don’t know, but I’m really bad for picking up language like that. The missus watches too much reality TV and it’s taken me over a year living away without a TV to stop using the work ‘like’ in every scentance!

‘swap out’ is what Americans do.

‘swap’ is what Noel Edmunds did.

‘replace’ is what decent English people do.

No, replace would be buying a new frame to replace the old one and scraping the old one. I’d infer from the word replace that the original part was broken or inferior and was not to be used again, swap implies that the parts are more equal.

e.g. you replace a worn out tyre, you swap tyres to suit conditions.

chakaping
    Free Member

Maybe these new cyclists weren’t expecting more experienced riders to be so snobbish toward them?

teamslug
    Free Member

Maybe these new cyclist will realise that although Brad and co might make it look easy it bloody hard work…come Autumn ebay will be flooded with barely used bikes

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Then when the lights turned he couldn’t get his foot in his carbon clipless pedal.

Had one of those as well yesterday morning…. he’d gone through 4 red lights on the trot previous to this (One of them was down hill through a cross roads, to which his entry was completely blind by houses on each corner – he went through at 30+mph without even looking…. I just looked away for a few seconds, to avoid seeing the accident 😉 He maded it, but appeared ablivious to be nearly flattened by a bus!)

Also, noticed 3 people in full Sky kit on the way home last night – one of them even completed the look with a Chinarella Doogpoo!

soobalias
    Free Member

although Brad and co might make it look easy it bloody hard work…

you are doing it wrong.

As above, i imagine that ‘new’ cyclists think they are ‘joining’ but as evident on here they can look forward to being sneered at for some time, probably till they have proved themselves by riding several times a week, in all weathers and can state how bloody hard work it is.

plumber
    Free Member

Every other bike was a new boardman on my DRIVE to work this morning 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I don’t get some of the snobishness about kit though, OK I think some of them with 4gazillion tiny logos look crap. But then so do 90% of local club kits. I like riding with the local club, but I won’t wear their kit out of principal that it looks absolutely crap, like a 5 year old designed it with a packet of highlighters and too many e-numbers.

The Sky kit on the other hand looks cool, ditto rapha-condor-sharp.

The Reading one isnt too bad, just needs to lose the “Reading” off the shoulders, and stick the sponsors logos up there instead of on the chest, where they really should put a crest of some sort.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Do you only qualify as a cyclist if you have been doing it for a long time up to 2012?

zilog6128

Every other bike was a new boardman on my DRIVE to work this morning

They probably saw the Brownlees on their £5k (non-Halfords!) Boardmans. Want!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As above, i imagine that ‘new’ cyclists think they are ‘joining’ but as evident on here they can look forward to being sneered at for some time, probably till they have proved themselves by riding several times a week, in all weathers and can state how bloody hard work it is.

Do you only qualify as a cyclist if you have been doing it for a long time up to 2012?

You two must read the Mail ro get this wound up on other peoples behlaf.

No one’s mocking ‘new’ cyclists, just pointing out that inevitably as night follows day, ebay gets flooded with mid range carbon ego charriots sometime in September, and this year should be a bumper crop with a good TDF and Olympics.

alex222
    Free Member
    andyl
    Free Member

Excellent, really need to get myself a road bike. Something round 54cm with carbon forks and middle range components will do….

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I wouldn’t wear team kit myself but good luck to those getting into it and I hope they enjoy it.

instanthit
    Free Member

We could of course start “speaking” to all these “new” cyclists, whether they are on a 4k race bike or tesco specials, then maybe more people will not feel the urge to flog stuff after 4 rides.
    New cyclists are usually keen to ask questions, find out about clubs, local rides, good shops etc.
    Lets not make the mistakes that roadies have been making for years and not encouraging people to get out and ride.
    More people on bikes = less people in cars.

eyerideit
    Free Member

I pootled off on my 23 year old steel bike with a smug feeling inside.
    And like the Murphy’s I’m not bitter..

Not bitter, jealous – yes, it was a lovely bike.

My comment about ho clipping in was more to do with his traffic position right in the middle of 2 lanes – if you can’t clip in and get a shift on. With all those Chelsea tractors about. Just a bit dangerous if you ask me.

As for team kit – if you’ve earn’t it wear it.

tonyd

I almost bought a Team GB (go team!) cycling top last weekend as I could do with another. When I looked again on Monday everywhere was sold out!

Great that so many people are enthusiastic and long may it last. If only 5% of those that have discovered cycling (and any other sport) this year stick with it then we’ll all be better for it IMO.

Those that don’t stick with it can bask in the knowledge that they’ve done the right thing and helped the economy, while also providing cheap ‘nearly new’ kit to those of us that can’t afford new.

alex222
    Free Member

Lets not make the mistakes that roadies have been making for years and not encouraging people to get out and ride.

Funny as almost all ‘roadies’ I know are very friendly and encouraging of new starters.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was going to post individual replies ot all the faux righteous indignation on here, but what alex22 said +1

No one’s being unfriendly, we’re just circling like vultures waiting for the weakest to give up and sell their carbon bling.

alex222 – Member
    team kit is for team riders

Technicaly the velominati are open to team kit as long as it matches (inc socks)

MrFart
    Free Member

Completely OT but that RCC logo is fantastic.

instanthit
    Free Member

Funny as almost all ‘roadies’ I know are very friendly and encouraging of new starters.

It was a bit of a sweeping generalisation, i know. But i remember turning up at local club for sunday ride and people saying hi, and that was it for 4 hours.
    The running club i belonged to spoke to every new member, introduced themselves and made them feel like they were welcome, the result lots of new runners who started racing very quickly.
    The result of the cycling club was i was keen to race but they never inspired me so i didn’t bother.
    Just think more encouragement could be given.

alex222
    Free Member

It was a bit of a sweeping generalisation, i know. But i remember turning up at local club for sunday ride and people saying hi, and that was it for 4 hours.

My experience it is the younger racer wannabes that are unfriendly. The veterans seem to be both friendly and borderline insane.

As for team kit – if you’ve earn’t it wear it.

Surely that implies this –

team kit is for team riders

Technicaly the velominati are open to team kit as long as it matches (inc socks)

I am just being facetious. People wearing kit doesn’t really matter. Though I did spot a fat bloke wearing the rainbows by the side of the road in the TT.

takisawa2

More people on bikes. It’s all good to me. Fantastic stuff.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘And so it begins………………………….’ is closed to new replies.