Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • …..AND SAN MARINO HAVE SCORED !!!!!!
  • dirtyrider
    Free Member

DO I NOT LIKE THAT

mikewsmith
    Free Member

OI SPOILERS!!!!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

oh and my Aunt’s brother started that turnip thing giving away Turnips from the farm with the England shirts 😉

dirtyrider
    Free Member

about to see the top scorer in an England shirt, nick the record, against san **** marino

mikewsmith
    Free Member

they all count

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    they all count

That’s the problem. Bobby charlton wouldn’t have played many games against no marks like SM. the number of caps players get nowadays mean breaking scoring records is a cert.

As a scot, I’m always amazed how a complete dullard of a player such as Christian Dailly got more caps than jimmy Johnstone, willie Henderson and Davie cooper put together.

Three of the greatest wingers ever produced in our wee nation.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That’s the problem. Bobby charlton wouldn’t have played many games against no marks like SM. the number of caps players get nowadays mean breaking scoring records is a cert.

If we go down that route then anything after 4-0 when the other lot have given in or being down to 9 men shouldn’t count. Same as lifetime runs in Cricket they play more so get there quicker (unless your English at the moment) It’s a tally that means more to the press than the players I reckon. I think all would rather the winners medal than a goal tally. Generally to get Golden boot at the WC you need to make a Semi at least

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If we go down that route then anything after 4-0 when the other lot have given in or being down to 9 men shouldn’t count. Same as lifetime runs in Cricket they play more so get there quicker (unless your English at the moment) It’s a tally that means more to the press than the players I reckon. I think all would rather the winners medal than a goal tally. Generally to get Golden boot at the WC you need to make a Semi at least

That’s all speculation and whataboutery. Charlton played against stronger nations than Rooney, and that’s a fact.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That’s all speculation and whataboutery. Charlton played against stronger nations than Rooney, and that’s a fact.

This lot look quality

In 1959 he scored a hat-trick as England demolished the US 8–1; and his second England hat-trick came in 1961 in an 8–0 thrashing of Mexico.

A hat-trick in the 8–1 rout of Switzerland in June 1963 took Charlton’s England goal tally to 30, equalling the record jointly held by Tom Finney and Nat Lofthouse and Charlton’s 31st goal against Wales in October the same year gave him the record alone.

When England beat the USA 10-0 in a friendly on 27 May 1964,

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s always exceptions. Anyway, I’m not arguing football with a Geordie fan, you’ll drag me down to your level. 😆

nickjb
    Free Member

charlton played against stronger nations than Rooney, and that’s a fact.

Not sure I agree. The gulf between teams is less these days. Charlton got a couple of hatricks against USA and Mexico. Not teams regarded as minnows these days but England got 8 goals in each if those games. 8 goals is pretty rare at international level now.

Edit: too slow

Flaperon

Watching this in the pub. Rapidly coming to conclusion that it would be far more entertaining if the pitch was half grass, half Wipe Out props.

nickjb
    Free Member

Anyway, be good to get a proper goal in this game. Hardly a classic.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what you missed no beer is the bit where I said the record is just a tally, unless you employee a committee to judge if a goal is worth it or not then just go with it. In ten years time it might be that people reckon the new players are just knocking about for fun

theotherjonv

They covered this in the prelims, looking at old film even against ‘top’ nations there was a load more time and space for Charlton to run from midfield and score goals with shots from around the edge of the box. Even a minnow like San Marino now defend in a very structured way, reducing space and restricting chances. Yes we need to get wider and deep behind them to create space better (oh, we just did!!) but I think it is harder to score goals now even against the lesser opposition; we rarely see the 10-0’s mentioned above.

Not degrading his record in any way, but two different types of player in two different eras.

slackalice
    Free Member

Lineker got 48 in an era when they all played in shorts that were borderline boxer briefs.

Which goes to show something, or things….

slimjim78
    Free Member

Bobby charlton wouldn’t have played many games against no marks

Of Charltons 49, 22 came from friendlies.

Of Spud ‘Ed, just 14.

Worth consideration

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘…..AND SAN MARINO HAVE SCORED !!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.