And now for the ugly bikes.

Home Forum Bike Forum And now for the ugly bikes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • And now for the ugly bikes.
  • dyl

I now recognise that those of us with thoroughly inelegant but highly practical and dependable bikes need our own thread so as not to feel left out, having reprehensibly posted a picture of my ill-proportioned but much loved Trek in the other thread.

So let me start: here’s the one I cobbled together for my girlfriend:

Horrible forks, I know. The Claud Butler Pagan frame I found dumped in the street. It had been painted with some thick black uneven nastiness which I stripped off, hence the (mostly) bare aluminium. Note also the unmatched handlebar grips, shifters, brake levers, brakes and everything else. Unfortunately this was taken before I had to gaffa tape a stick to the rack to stop one of the panniers from catching in the spokes which contributes immeasurably to the effect of a bodged monstrosity.

The rear mudguard is made from a strip of an old tyre I butchered with a stanley knife. I also made a real effort to make sure that the cable ties clashed with each other and everything else.

Lets see some ugliness, people.

user-removed

Wait…. That’s a trike! And other than the spacers, I’ve seen plenty worse.

I_Ache

Oh oh, I have two ugly bikes not quite that bad but they arnt lookers. Will post pics in the morning.

dyl

Here’s the stick bodge:

I’m sure you’ll agree that the plastic chainguard also contributes to the overall aesthetic je ne sais quoi.

Still, it coped with 4 weeks of Ghana’s “roads” admirably.

Wow – that’s bad. Reflectors still in place. V and disk brakes front and back still in place. Bars higher than saddle. Luggage rack. Helmet. Garden in tatters. Cheapo / pointless forks. Warts all over the bar / stem – or are they lights, etc. Still better than mine. And there’s no way I’m posting a picture of mine!

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

Seeing as everyone else thinks its so ugly…

I love it, but hey, who says I have any taste! πŸ˜‰

Pictured here though with an even uglier beast belonging to my mate Jon…

dyl

The “garden” is actually not bad considering all they have to work with is sand and dust.

Not sure what you mean about “V and disk brakes front and back still in place” – the frame isn’t even V-brake compatible (though the wheels and forks clearly are). Also don’t quite agree about the forks being “pointless” – the roads would probably have hurt more with rigid forks – but they are truly cheap and nasty. I’d probably rather have rigid forks for general use on balance.

Anyway, I’m not here to defend it, I’m here to see if anyone can out-ugly it. G’wan, lets see yours πŸ™‚

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

My Dare… I love the effort that’s gone into making it this horrible, there’s no 2 angles anywhere on it that complement each other at all.

IMG_0346 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

The attention to detail on it is superb too, and somehow these little details manage to make the overall ugliness more absolute.

michaelmcc

Pictured here though with an even uglier beast belonging to my mate Jon…

Is that other one a Pronghorn?

michaelmcc

My Dare… I love the effort that’s gone into making it this horrible, there’s no 2 angles anywhere on it that complement each other at all.

Wouldn’t say no to it though πŸ˜‰

dyl

Is part of an inner tube protecting the chain-stay? That definitely scores points if so.

coogan

Ellsworth make some nice frames. That one, as you said, is not in that club.

shaxi

they look ok ,why saying that “ugly” in the title !

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

ugly bike one by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

Made worse with gears

Wanga 69er by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Period….

Is that other one a Pronghorn?

This is, the day I picked it up:

And I think it’s gorgeous, so ner πŸ˜›

Rorschach

I’m assuming it would be less fugly in the correct size?

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

I still miss my Eli – rode brilliantly, but cracked where they all did πŸ™

One of the current flock:

clubber

highly practical and dependable bikes

Well it’s never let me down…

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

I always forget what brand mine is, what it needs is some bigger Trek decals.

I’m assuming it would be less fugly in the correct size?

❓ It’s a 20.5″ frame… Is this some underhand, scandalous remark about it not being a 29er? Cos I think that would make it fugly

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

Ah ha a pic thread I can contribute to
    Reckoned this looked nice with black vanillas and finishing kit, this spec less so, note the seatpost not quite the same angle as seatube, destined to snap mid commute some months later, I shouldn’t really do lightweight parts.

Ooh look its replacement, niiiiice

And finally the big one
    mismatched everything check
    3ft of seatpost check
    valves/logos misaligned check
    handle bars in different postcode to headtube check
    uncut steerer (!) check

HK_WH1 by D0NK, on Flickr

RV

Trek Y DH-pro issue

and Nicola, she was ugly and a little over weight.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

*wonders if he could post the same pictures in this thread as well*

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

*wonders if he could post the same pictures in this thread as well*

can’t remember what yours was but quite a lot from that other thread should be in here.

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

think the trek DH is just ahead of the pivot hell Whyte.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

D0NK – there was a carbon 456 in there πŸ˜‰

kudos100

Tazzy to the forum!

Premier Icon HansRey
    Subscriber

first ever mtb.

Premier Icon HansRey
    Subscriber

tank cycles… some are quite pretty, some not. The latter one, i love and retch equally for

dyl

D0NK

uncut steerer (!) check

Apart from any aesthetic consideration, I’d be worried about giving myself a kidney-ectomy if I came off over the handlebars.

nickf

Donk, that was excellent. Particularly liked the last picture, with the bike leaning against a gate to more fully demonstrate the gatenicity* of the swingarm…

* Yes, that’s a real word. Probably.

jackthedog

Surely RV has won this thread so far?

billysugger

This feels like the day I accidentally clicked on a faces of death video. I’m changed.

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

rOcKeTdOg – can I ask about your frame bag? Who makes it, what do you think of it? Thanks. πŸ™‚

tazzymtb

trust c-g to think about handbags πŸ˜‰

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘And now for the ugly bikes.’ is closed to new replies.