Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • And i didn’t think things could get worse…..
  • gnusmas

But they have. Sorry for another crappy thread, feeling completely lost and useless at the moment.

I’ve been plodding along one day at a time. Then I receive a letter this morning which throws everything up in the air again. Future is now extremely uncertain.

Thanks to the government’s benefit cap system, the benefits I am currently receiving are being cut. I understand there has to be rules and a cut off point, but individual circumstances don’t get taken into account according to the DWP.

Nowhere near ready, or able, to start work again. Just getting to the point of starting sorting the house out. Things are very tight as it is, let alone when this starts next week. If things carry on like this, we’ll probably end up homeless 😞😢

spawnofyorkshire

bugger. Have you been able to speak to Citizens Advice?

bearnecessities

Are you on ‘old style’ legacy benefits or Universal Credit?

Greybeard
    Free Member

Alan, you’ve survived everything that’s been thrown at you, you’ll survive this too. Post some more details and there will be somebody here who understands the rules and can advise you.

bearnecessities

Ok, by means of some generic advice then  –  The Benefit Cap has probably now been applied because previously Lynda was in receipt of DLA/PIP and you were in receipt of Carer’s Allowance (CA); receipt of either of those benefits in a household are automatic exclusions from having the BenCap applied.

As you know you will have received a run-on period of CA following her passing where you continued to receive CA , and now that has ended I guess that’s why you find yourself without any exclusions from the cap (although you can google to see if any of the others may apply to you).

If you are on Legacy Benefits (so the Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance etc) the actual cap will be applied to your Housing Benefit, which is paid by the Local Authority, reducing it to a level until you are within the BenCap limits. If you are on Universal Credit (UC) it will be applied to the Housing Element of your overall UC award, again reducing it down to the relevant limit.

If you are unable to meet this change in what is essentially now your housing/rent liability, there is something called a Discretionary Housing Payment – this is a fund that is administered by your LA and is available for people that find themselves  in circumstances such as the one you find yourself in (and are in receipt of HB or the housing element of UC).

As above, speak to CA for further advice – or pop down to your Local Authority for a chat about you circumstances and fill in the appropriate forms.

As far as your worries about becoming homeless – please don’t. It is in nobody’s interest for that to happen (you’ll cost a lot more 🙂 ) , but you have to make sure you get in touch with your LA so they are aware of your circumstances. Don’t hang about, get down there Monday (or at least ring )

Pop up if you have any further questions.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Also, bear in mind these letters are just auto-generated where people meet a certain “criteria”. As suggested above, contact your local CAB and benefits office. Speak to a human and explain your circumstances and hopefully, all can be resolved.

alisonsmiles
    Free Member

I’m echoing citizens advice. But this may also be useful, benefit calculator: entitledto

funkmasterp

Alan, you’ve survived everything that’s been thrown at you, you’ll survive this too.

Exactly this. Get some advice from someone in the know and try not to worry. You’re a damned sight tougher than you could ever think you are.

gnusmas

Sorry for the delay in replying, been a bit all over the place today. Thanks for the replies, as usual nice to have your support, it still means the world to me.

Still on old school benefits, not rolled onto universal credit yet. Yes, this has happened because I no longer get carers allowance, I fully accept that. I spoke to the DWP earlier and it was only flagged up on their system last week, hence today’s letter. I thought everything was sorted back then, really didn’t expect this today. Unfortunately my carers allowance run on ended at the end of last July, so am fearing an overpayment claim too.

I also agree with why they have said it has happened. According to the DWP, the benefit cap doesn’t take into account personal circumstances or individual situations like how many kids you have. I have someone coming out to see me on Tuesday to discuss things and see if there is anything we can do in the meantime.

I spent all afternoon going through the figures. The reduction of income after Lyanda passed away was significant and made things a lot tighter, but just about manageable. Losing this much again leaves me feeling helpless. Once all the standard monthly bills are paid there isn’t much left. How £103 per week is meant to feed 5, buy shoes and clothes and anything else we need, let alone other things like birthdays, Xmas, days out etc is beyond me.

bearnecessities

According to the DWP, the benefit cap doesn’t take into account personal circumstances or individual situations

It really does. That’s why there are several exclusions to the Benefit Cap based on your circumstances.

And if you don’t meet an exclusion and are still struggling – there is the DHP to apply for.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Just to reiterate what people above have said, speak to Citizens Advice asap.
    My Dad is an advisor for CAB and some of the things he says about the screw ups that are made when it comes to people’s benefits is unbelievable.
    They will know the system very well and will no doubt have advised people jn similar circumstances to yours.

Good luck with it, I’m sure you’ll get it sorted.

jekkyl

Vote labour

Esme
    Free Member

Well done, Gnusmas – you’re clearly handling this with your usual resilience and determination (even if it doesn’t feel like it, at the moment).

Poopscoop

All the best Gnusmas, you are a strong guy, far stronger than me and far stronger than you probably think you are too.

Take it one hurdle at a time with the benefits. It will fall into place even though you feel overwhelmed at the moment.

Keep us updated.

matt_outandabout

+1 gnusmas

And may I quote the ex prime minister of Estonia.

“This situation is shit. But it’s the manure of our future…”

You will find a way through it, and you and the kids will move forward. Those kids are fortunate to have you.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

And this may sound harsh, but lose the defeatist attitude – you have been so strong, keep it going bud….

If you ever need chat, feel free to get in touch dude 🙂

granny_ring

Some good advice again from the guys Alan, hope it gets sorted mate.

jkomo

I am really sorry you are going through more stress. It sounds from the above that there’s a lot that can be done. Stay strong.

myti
    Free Member

It terms of managing to feed 5 on a budget look up bootstrap Cook on Facebook or find her blog/cook book. She’s an amazing woman who has been in the situation of surviving on £10 a week for food. Her recipes are all priced out per portion and use really cheap ingredients and the cheapest cooking techniques (so as not to waste gas and electric) to produce really tasty and nutritious meals.

tjagain

As above – get pro advice or PM me. Mrs TJ does this stuff for a living

bearnecessities

What was the outcome of your Tuesday visit?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘And i didn’t think things could get worse…..’ is closed to new replies.