• This topic has 41 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Anchovies the little fishy thingys?
  • Kryton57

No, not the tyre fixing kind, there’s a thread in the bike forum for that.

I can’t resist the little fishy treats, particularly on pizza’s.

Why are anchovies so tasty?

footflaps

Salt…

jonnyboi

Umami

RustySpanner

Me too.

Anchovies, mushrooms and onions.
    Thin as you like, ta.

deadkenny
    Free Member

+1 salt. Same reason I love Marmite.

Anchovies are awesome and they keep for centuries. Well maybe not centuries, but a long time in the fridge so long as covered in oil. Months beyond the “eat within 3 days” bollox.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Fabulous fish.

I love capers too.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I love the salty little buggers straight from the jar, but salsa verde is what they were destined for mmmmmm.

slowoldman

Fabulous fish.
    I love capers too.

Then you must love Puttanesca.

simondbarnes

Then you must love Puttanesca

Surely everybody does?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I was in Spain some years ago (well Benidorm actually) & we went to a small bar in the old town where we took a fancy to the anchovy tapas, but my mate said, ‘naa, anchovies are always too salty’, to which the barman took offence saying, ‘no salty! my anchovie no salty! you try!’
    So we did & they weren’t salty at all, they were lovely!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I like em. Though marinated, chilled. Those fleshy little beauties with nice pearlescent cream/slate-blue skins. Not so much from those flattened bony brown mini-kipper looking things from jars.

Marmite too, after 40+ years of not really liking it. For some reason I took to it.

Interesting salt content factoids (per 100g)

Marmite (UK) – 11g (!!)
    Sainsbury’s Reduced Salt Yeast Extract – 6.5g
    Meridian (no salt-added) Yeast Extract – 0.3g

mefty
    Free Member

Lea and Perrins and Fish Sauce agrees.

hairyscary

I’ve just had some for my lunch on nightshift. M&S antipasti stuff, sweet and slightly fishy, lovely.
    I’m not going to be popular when the burps start.

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

Don´t confuse tinned anchovies with the fresh article. A plate of fresh fried anchovies, salad and a icecold beer on a Spanish beach is to die for!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Me too. Love them. Can’t eat a pizza without them. The salty ones on Pizza and marinated ones all on their own!

Though strangely I didn’t get on with Gentleman’s Relish. I should have loved it – anchovy paste just sounds great, but didn’t. Wasn’t quite sure the best way to eat it.

the-muffin-man

Fabulous fish.

I love capers too.

Both awful things that make me want to throw up.

jimmy

Fresh or jarred, brilliant.

Had an M&S pizza the other night with mozzarella, onions, capers and anchovies – its the ONLY supermarket pizza now in existence.

And Puttanesca ftw.

turboferret

Gentleman’s Relish sounds wrong on so many levels, quite apart from Patum Peperium sounds so similar to perineum 🙂

However, I do like the odd smear on some toast or an oatcake.

Love anchovies too, although I’m not sure I’ve ever had any fresh as per the Spanish beach method – something to add to the list

Cheers, Rich

ocrider

Reasons to go to Collioure :

#1 Anchovies

neilthewheel

Anchovies are for wimps. Surstrumming for the tough guys.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Interesting salt content factoids (per 100g)

Marmite (UK) – 11g (!!)
    Sainsbury’s Reduced Salt Yeast Extract – 6.5g
    Meridian (no salt-added) Yeast Extract – 0.3g

Curious – what does the Meridian stuff taste like? Is it really compareable to Marmite?

globalti
    Free Member

Don´t confuse tinned anchovies with the fresh article. A plate of fresh fried anchovies, salad and a icecold beer on a Spanish beach is to die for!

Spot on. Fresh unsalted anchovies in oil are called boquerones in Andalucia and with a glass of white wine or manzanilla or beer are superb.

Gunz
    Free Member

Try popping a couple of the little salty ones in your next one pot dinner (casserole, chilie etc) instead of seasoning, lovely.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Best ever: small bar in a small coastal village in Italy. Little slices of bread with olive all and strips of anchovies on top with the beer. Amazing.

Jamie
    Free Member

I hate to do one of those, ‘thank me later’ posts, but erm….get some of these, and thank me later. 8)

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Reasons to go to Collioure :

#1 Anchovies

+ 1, and to see where where Matisse and Derain painted together.

Lester
    Free Member

i dont know if you knew, but Anchovy is bonjovi`s sister

mefty
    Free Member

I hate to do one of those, ‘thank me later’ posts, but erm….get some of these, and thank me later.

Too many intense people in the world, I prefer light-hearted anchovies.

letmetalktomark

I’ve never eaten an Anchovy.

There I said it.

Deal with it.

taxi25
    Free Member

I hate them with a vengeance 😡
    Mrstaxi loves them though !! If anything were to ever split us up it’ll be those nasty little things.

dustytrails

Ohhh yes on pizza with capers & olives.
    Mmmm Spaghetti Puttanesca (whores spaghetti)Chilli, anchovies, tomatoes, garlic, capers & olives. What’s not to like!!

I was in Portugal a good few years ago and went to the local beach bar that served good fish…asked the waiter about a particular fish on the menu…told me it was Anchovy…seeing the quizzical look on my face he explained that this was the size of a Sea Bass (as apparently they do grow bigger when not in shoals)…it was THE BEST Fish I have ever eaten.
    But yeah Anchovies rule of all types.

Kryton57

Mrs K has just added those intense Anchovies to our Ocado basket 😀

In the late 90’s I did some work in Malaysia with some Chinese. The evening social business was in a bar which included massive separate bowls of dried chilli’s and dried anchovies to pick at, not to mentioned waiter who “topped up” your beer as the wandered around the place.

As you can imagine, my hotel toilet took a battering.

cheers_drive

Hate salted ones, love marinated ones

orangespyderman

Love them. All varieties. Fabulous on pizza but…

Puttanesca

This just reminded me. I had an amazing recipe for this stuff. Doubled the anchovy and chilli content, and I think I fried the onions in the anchovy oil. It was mentally good. Must go find.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Had a jar last night on my pizza with some huge prawns. I love seafood.

Kryton57

Ive just eaten half a pack of those Waitrose Anchovies. Wow…

hooja
    Free Member

bell peppers, cut in half and filled with halved (quality) tomatoes and covered in anchovies (the little salty buggers) and olive oil. Slowly baked in the oven….best easy tea ever!

rmacattack
    Free Member

jamie will be along to say he told you so

pyranha

The tinned ones are great on scrambled egg, or in an egg mayonnaise sandwich.

They virtually melt when you cook them, so stick the whole contents of the tin (oil too) in a frying pan, heat until the anchovies break down and fry some prawns – serve with fresh bread to dip in the ‘juices’. Even my wife, who doesn’t like anchovies liked this.

chorlton
    Free Member

**** starving now. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Anchovies the little fishy thingys?’ is closed to new replies.