Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anatomy / Stretching : Suggestions for shoulder pain?

Whilst doing leg raise type exercises recently I’ve been suffering from pain across the front of my left shoulder. The pain increases if I take deep breaths. I’ve been trying various stretches as it feels like muscle tension in the area but I’m not really sure which group to target so it’s a bit of a fumble in the dark. I dislocated this shoulder some years ago.

Physio is the obvious solution, and will be forth coming, but I’m between medical insurance policies for the next month or so and just want some suggestions as to what may be causing it and possible exercises to try to relieve it.

have you tried swimming? sounds like an extreme solution but its a good way to stay fit in winter, and lots of swimming strokes really help with shoulder flexibility.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Is it that one?

SBZ, think that’s about right. Although the pain spreads further up than the depicted end of the muscle.

EDIT: Any idea why there’s pain for the leg raises but I don’t have any discomfort at other times?

TFLB, swimming is a good suggestion. Haven’t been for a while, only problem is during the winter the local pool gets jammed with the tourists. May have to look a little further afield for a better one!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Leg raises are bad for you – that’s why they hurt.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I have to admit I am one of those people that never stretch off before or after. I kinda start out easy and slow down near the end. If your wondering I do mountain marathons, enduro’s trans alps etc so fitness is good. [list]There is a a school of thought that says that stretching cold can do the damage.[/list] If its a race I warm up before the event either running or cycling a few warm up miles. Works for me.

Leg raises are bad for you – that’s why they hurt.

Thanks Zulus, I didn’t know that. Hopefully I haven’t already done too much damage!

DickieS
    Free Member

Hi 10,

When performing leg raises, you will also be ‘anchoring’ right the way up to your scalene muscles which run from your colarbones to the spinous processes in the neck. On the way past, pec-minor will of course get in on the action. There is also your Ulnar and Median nerves which run out that way before going down your arms which can get easily compressed by spasming or tight muscle.

You can try to trigger point the muscle, by finding the spot that really hurts, then push your thumb in it till it releases, it’ll hurt but bombarding the nervous system will get it to relax eventually.

When you’re actually doing the raises, try rolling up a towel to place behind you head/neck, this will offload and allow you to stay relaxed higher up whilst still giving your abs the desired workout.

Hope that helps,

Rich

http://www.pedalprecision.com

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

DickieS – need to be careful how you sell your skills on your website. Protected titles and all that. You might want to refresh yourself on the origins and insertions of scalenes too. 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anatomy / Stretching : Suggestions for shoulder pain?’ is closed to new replies.