Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • An interesting question about GT85 and mould….
  • walla24
    Free Member

1) Is prolonged exposure to GT85 (not as an abuser I might add!) likely to cause any adverse health effects.

From looking HERE
    the ingredients are mainly hydrogen treated Naptha, Butane and a number of oils.

Im talking say the use of on a pessimistic average 1 can per day over 6 months in an environment of poor ventilation and high relative humidity.

2)
    Large areas of mould ~5m^2 in all show a mould which has grown due to water leakage:

With a more present in large patches on the walls and around the water source.
    Could this be an issue?

Symptoms mainly involving poor digestive function and neurological symptoms inc. irritability, poor sleep and periods of depression.

Odd questions i know but i’d appreciate any science based replies as i’m 99% certain something at work is making me ill!

Militant_biker

Non-science based observation here: One evening me and housemate cleaned and lubed all our bikes, using plenty of GT85 in a small garage. We both got SUPER irritable, felt the rage at… nothing! We decided it was the GT85 and went outside pronto.

1 can per day is going some though!

walla24
    Free Member

yeah agreed i do hate the stuff but maintaining a fleet of bikes requires a fair bit, some days 2-3cans is not unusual.

The water at work is tested regularly and i havent changed my diet so im trying to figure out whats causing the problems. I felt a lot better for a week off but am now declining again. uber lame!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

well you should have coshh data for it at work – and probably should have all sorts of ventilation and so on organised when using solvents

http://www.gt85.co.uk/health.html

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

yes the mould could be an issue. Unlikely but possible

These guys may be able to help with the gt 85

http://www.npis.org/

edit – just realised – they are a service for professionals so you need to get your doc to check with them

martinxyz
    Free Member

Theres a few sprays that get used at work.One of them,for forks,smells nice (wont mention the brand) but it catches my throat and it makes it harder to breath.I work in a small area and have been wheezing over the past 3-4 months.I notice it when i get home/laying down before i go to sleep. I have never noticed wheezing before.

spooky_b329

Poor ventilation? There are double doors in the pic! If they have to be closed it would still be easy to install an extractor fan. Using the ickle red tube would reduce the overspray massively as well.

walla24
    Free Member

its interesting though that the most common symptoms for solvent inhalation are respiritory, which i don’t have?

spooky, there is some ventiliation and i almost always use the red tube but i still get loads up in my face.

Sandwich

That data sheet is so out of date it’s unusable to do a proper CoSSH assessment. Revisions are required every 5 years max, or when the regs change whichever is the sooner. (Usually it’s the regs that change first). A Data sheet needs 16/17 numbered sections to be current (It’s a while since I did this hence the vagueness to the number). That would be deemed unlawful if I was inspecting and the product should be withdrawn from use until the data sheet is up to date.
    Butane has known problems with respiration, aerosol sniffers die as a result of a sudden shock (severity not quantified). The data sheet does say engineering controls are needed (Local Exhaust Ventilation) and under those conditions you might not need respiratory protection otherwise a respirator will be needed.

richwales

Do the symptoms clear once you’ve been away from the source, say over the weekend?

sobriety
    Free Member

It does have 16 numbered sections, just 7 of them are numbered 9 for some reason! Looks like a fairly standard MSDS that you see in industry, and has the relevent risk ans safety phrases on it like

Safety phrases: S23. Do not breathe spray

CaptJon
    Free Member

Get a mask

walla24
    Free Member

Richwales: yep had a week off and was a lot better nearer the end of the week. Oddly eating lots of fresh biotic yoghurt allieviates digestive issues, not sure how relevant that is.
    Been tested for a variety of water related issues so prob not that.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘An interesting question about GT85 and mould….’ is closed to new replies.