Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • An extra 60mm? Why yes please…
  • ta11pau1

…or the difference that a ‘proper’ sized dropper post makes.

Finally, after owning my YT jeffsy since October 2019, it’s finished*. 150mm fox transfer swapped out for a 210mm oneup dropper. After having experienced 200mm on my hardtail, and having to drop the post in the frame on a ride in the lakes last year, it feels so good to have the saddle properly out of the way, and I know it’ll improve my riding too.

To:

At 300psi, the oneup is a bit brisk on the old extension, took me by surprise the first time! I would have been able to fit a 240mm if it wasn’t for the max insertion limit.

*Well, I would have liked a 200mm AXS reverb, but there’s no sign of this, so screw you SRAM.

PSA – mint condition fox transfer factory in 150mm/31.6mm will be up for sale soon. 😉

smallspinsized
    Free Member

210mm dropper! I’m too short to have more than 120mm drop on a 15 inch frame.

ta11pau1

One of the benefits of being a lanky barsteward I suppose!! 😁

Modern bikes are brilliant, anything with a seat tube under 490mm, a 200mm post fits with room, my bikes have 485mm (Jeffsy) and 470mm (Lacrau Hardtail) seat posts, both the largest sizes.

Northwind

Good innit. You’d not think it makes such a difference, 10mm or 20mm here or there but “enough” and “not quite enough” is a bloody massive difference. For me 150mm for a big bike was still too much compromise, 170mm still compromised but a decent exchange, 185mm is pretty much just where I start to tip over onto no compromise at all, the saddle is out of the way completely… 210mm nails it though. Wish I could fit that much drop into all my frames.

ta11pau1

Yup, and manufacturers have finally got the memo that a 520mm seat post on a XL bike just isn’t good enough, and along with the likes of oneup with their low stack height posts (it’s amazing how much lower it is than the old style transfer it’s replacing) we’re in a good place.

Getting that saddle 50mm or so lower transforms your riding.

Northwind

Over the years I’ve declared a lot of Northwind’s Laws but “Your frame must allow an average person to fit a dropper that’s longer than the suspension travel” is a good ‘un I think. It’s sort of weird, I have 2 main bikes just now, one of them is 8 years old, AND I’ve sized up 2 sizes to XL, but I can still put 185mm in it. The other is about 3 years old, and it’s a medium, but I can still only get 190mm in it- because of the pivot design not the seattube. And that’s a progressive, quality designer (Cotic).

(my actual name’s Cunningham so I can’t use that, we’ve already got a Law and it’s a good one)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.