Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • An empty car just crashed through my wall !
  • shifter
    Free Member

I know it’s cool to hate the RR Evoque but that isn’t one 🙂

Legoman
    Free Member

I know it’s cool to hate the RR Evoque but that isn’t one

yep, it’s a RR Sport – and a white one! More fuel for the haterz!

Makore
    Free Member

My Dad taught me to drive 30 years ago. He insisted when I parked on a hill as well as using the handbrake I turned the wheels into the kerb and left it in gear (with a cloth over the gear stick to remind me). I taught my now 21 year old son the same. In the snow after Christmas he couldn’t get home, leaving the car half way up the last hill. He got picked up for work in a land rover and I offered to collect his car later if the conditions improved. Imagine my delight to find it parked on a wide straight section with wheels turned in, in gear, and even a cloth in place! They do listen. However, sometimes old habits should die as technology improves. I was also taught to depress the handbrake button when applying it, and was taught to cringe when somebody didn’t because apparently the ratchet could wear out. Maybe 60 years ago they did. (I still depress it and so does the boy).

wwaswas

My car has an electric automatic handbrake.

My role of ‘driver parking car’ has become deskilled as a consequence.

It’s not fair.

br
    Free Member

I can’t think of a reason to not park a vehicle in gear.

tbh I never use a handbrake, but then I drive auto’s and it ain’t going anywhere in PARK.

Makore
    Free Member

Indeed it’s not fair. The old ways will die out. I did teach him how to double declutch but I bet he can’t remember that.

wwaswas

It does make hill starts towing a caravan a bit easier, it has to be said. But still.

40mpg

My car has an electric automatic handbrake.

It’s not fair.

Mine too, snowy car parks aren’t nearly as entertaining as they once were

fasthaggis

Graham

The windscreen has been cleared so it has been used fairly recently.
    They are probably sat in their house completely oblivious to the whole thing.

Elshalimo

The sun could have cleared the snow

Graham

Possibly, but the car further up the street still has plenty of snow on it

JY

Its in the shade

STW at it’s finest
    🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

I once parked my car up a friends drive. Went to put stuff in it later, opened passenger door and the car started groaning backwards. Cue panic and leaping across the car inside to put hand on brake pedal. Then the dawning realisation as I lay across the front seats “what do i do now”? 😯

brakes
    Free Member

is it right that you put it in 1st when pointing uphill and reverse when pointing downhill?

richmars

I was also taught to depress the handbrake button when applying it, and was taught to cringe when somebody didn’t because apparently the ratchet could wear out.

I always do that. I just hate the sound of metal rubbing on metal.

sssimon
    Free Member

Don’t panic Jim, I’ve called the BBC and Chris Buckler is doing his “Weather Carnage Special” from the roof of your Subaru at 6

aracer
    Free Member

Very depressing reading this thread … Why are some people always looking to put all the blame on to others?

Some times accidents happen, the UK doesn’t my head in with this blame claim culture

anagallis_arvensis

When I park my car on a hill do I leave it in neutral, park or drive?
    Amazed how many of you depress things rather than just press or push clutches or buttons. Mind a lot of you depress me.

johndoh
    Free Member

A_A – your post makes no sense.

nealglover
    Free Member

….as this thread shows, handbrakes do fail

Or, much more likely, people fail to put them on properly 😉

…is there anything to be gained by ignoring the HC advice to leave it in gear with the wheel turned towards the kerb?

Suppose not, it’s just not the way I was taught to do it, so it’s never been part of my “routine”

Possibly something to do with learning to drive in completely flat York, but I did live in the Alps for 10 years, so I do have some experience of inclines with regard to driving.

Or is this just some kind of macho “I know better than the Highway Code” thing?

As above, not in the slightest, if that was the way I regarded driving advice, I wouldn’t have chosen to do advanced driver training.
    I’ve just never really given it any thought.

I was just slightly amused that someone was “Amazed” that anyone would dare to park without leaving the car in gear 🙂

Maybe I’m just not that easily amazed. But it would take more than that.

globalti
    Free Member

The only time I’ve “lost” a car was soon afer I got my Passat B6 and somehow didn’t manage to pull the tiny brake lever. Went indoors, sat down to eat my bangers and mash and there was a knock on the door… opened it to find a bloke looking baffled who asked me: “Er.. is that your car?” My Passat had rolled slowly out into the road and come gently to rest against the neighbour’s gate post, opposite, blocking the street.

I think Passat B7 takes even that decision away from you and applies the handbrake as soon as you stop, switch off and undo the seat belt. Thank goodness.

Edukator
    Free Member

Well it’s not Jimjam’s fault his fence is ruined is it, Aracer. My son’s learning and he moans at me leaving the car in gear every time he starts the engine (I leave it in reverse in the garage and first when there’s a drop behind). I moan every time he leaves it in neutral. This thread may finally have convinced him leaving it in gear is a good thing.

We saw an amusing handbrake incident in the resort. A guy ground to a halt (no chains or Winter tyres), put the handbrake on then got out – engine still running. While he started berating the driver in front for stopping, the car started sliding back down the col with the rear wheels locked. We started shouting, when his family inside the car started screaming he ran after the car, hung on the door, then scrambled in and got to the foot brake just in time to stop before a row of parked cars.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

At least OP can get a better looking fence/wall now, I bet he did it himself 🙂

Haven’t the Police turned up yet?

Meanwhile some one else’s attempt at parking in my village today

GrahamS

is it right that you put it in 1st when pointing uphill and reverse when pointing downhill?

Yep, according The Highway Code (Rule 252) anyway:

Parking on hills. If you park on a hill you should:

• park close to the kerb and apply the handbrake firmly
    • select a forward gear and turn your steering wheel away from the kerb when facing uphill
    • select reverse gear and turn your steering wheel towards the kerb when facing downhill
    • use ‘park’ if your car has an automatic gearbox.

jimjam
    Free Member

aracer

Very depressing reading this thread … Why are some people always looking to put all the blame on to others?

What the actual ****? So if someone crashes through your wall tonight you’ll just smile and suck it up? I’m not looking to put blame on others, the guys car put a hole in my wall. If he’d parked it correctly it wouldn’t have happened.

At what point would you look to apportion blame? If it had hit another car? Killed a pedestrian on the footpath?

Some times accidents happen, the UK doesn’t my head in with this blame claim culture

Claim culture? I’m not claiming debilitating neck injuries for someone nudging my rear bumper. I don’t think it’s unreasonable that the owner reimburse me whatever it costs to fix the hole in my wall.

jamesfts
    Free Member

I’d check the dog vs cyclist thread before getting knickers in a twist, I’ve a feeling it wasn’t meant in the way it has been taken.

… and the bit about turning your wheel into or away from the curb… that’s assuming your average driver is able to judge where the curb actually is and being able park somewhere near it!

TrekEX8
    Free Member

jimjam, glad no-one was hurt; if I was in your shoes, I’d fully expect the car’s owner to pay for the damage, amazed anyone would think otherwise.

Regarding handbrakes, I once had a Peugeot which I left on a slope, handbrake on, in gear. Unfortunately the handbrake cable snapped, it’s only happened once in 30+ years of driving, but leaving the car in gear saved a lot of cost and possible injury.

scotroutes

When the 2005/6 Honda Civic came out there was a spate of handbrake failures. Advice from Honda was NOT to depress the button as there was a chance the ratchet wouldn’t catch.

I was also taught to always leave the car in gear and to turn the wheels accordingly. It used to piss my wife off because she always forgot to depress the clutch on starting. Now we are on our second Toyota that enforces a clutch depression before starting (I believe this is less strain on the engine?)

joshvegas
    Free Member

i once had a handbrake seize on slope. So i scuttled indoirs to find a hammer to smack the drum and free it.

So i lie on the floor and smack away And free the brake. Perfect.

Except i hadn’t actually pulled the lever back on. So the car started rolling slowly over me, dropped the hammer and got my arms on the bumper and shuffled as best i could in the direction of travel.

After brief browntrousering someone came and stopped it.

flicker
    Free Member

joshvegas – Member
    i once had a handbrake seize on slope. So i scuttled indoirs to find a hammer to smack the drum and free it.

So i lie on the floor and smack away And free the brake. Perfect.

Except i hadn’t actually pulled the lever back on. So the car started rolling slowly over me, dropped the hammer and got my arms on the bumper and shuffled as best i could in the direction of travel.

After brief browntrousering someone came and stopped it.

Brian? Is that you?

😀

jimjam
    Free Member

TrekEX8
    jimjam, glad no-one was hurt; if I was in your shoes, I’d fully expect the car’s owner to pay for the damage, amazed anyone would think otherwise.

Thanks for saying that. I thought I was only one! Anyhoo, somewhat predictably I suppose, the guy has been on the phone saying he’d like to bypass the insurance company (which I haven’t heard from) and pay for the damages himself since the car has a rather large excess apparently.

I’ve had very little dealings with insurance companies so far in life (touch wood). Can anyone point out the pros and cons of letting him pay out of his own pocket?

m0rk
    Free Member

Odd…. third party claims don’t attract the excess to be paid by the policy holder.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve had very little dealings with insurance companies so far in life (touch wood). Can anyone point out the pros and cons of letting him pay out of his own pocket?

The only real risk is that he won’t pay when the time comes.

Get a couple of quotes to get the work done, ask for cash upfront once you have a price.

If he doesn’t like those terms then insist on insurance company dealing with it.

jimjam
    Free Member

Lets say I agree, because he seems like a reasonable guy. I get some quotes, he says yeah, I’ll get you the money in a week or two. There wouldn’t be a potential limbo trap I could fall into with his insurance company? IE we both agree to settle it independently, then he decides to be an arse…and his insurance company tell me tough, since I agreed to sort it out between us?

garage-dweller

He might find issues with his cover if he doesn’t notify in 24hrs or whatever the policy requires.
    Whether that affects you as a third party I don’t know.

Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘An empty car just crashed through my wall !’ is closed to new replies.