Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • An amusing 'help me choose' thread (hopefully)
  • SaxonRider

Molgrips and I have been discussing what I should get as insurance replacements for my commuter and mountain bike respectively.

Unless I get a decent deal by way of payout, I may have to use Wheelies, so, assuming I do, what do you think?

I have already been offered a £1299 option as a replacement for my mountain bike, and assuming they stick to the same lines for my commuter, I expect about £650. So, at just shy of £2000 total, I am hoping to split the money a little more evenly and get a decent mountain bike and decent cyclocross bike.

In terms of mountain bikes, I want something rigid, and ideally something that will accommodate 27.5+ and 29. If it can do both (and I don’t know that it does for sure), I am very interested in the 2017 Marin Pine Mountain.

At the same time, it has been suggested that the 2017 Genesis Longitude would be more appropriate, based on the sort of off-road riding I do.

On the cyclocross front, I would love to dip my toe in the water of the local circuit. In light of this, any cyclocross bike I get should be able to serve well for my daily commute as well as make a preliminary foray into competition a feasible goal.

To this end, I am interested in the 2017 Cannondale CAADX Tiagra, but also the 2017 Genesis Vapour CX 20.

Finally, if I can get a decent payout, and am not stuck with Wheelies, then I would consider the 2017 Genesis CdA 20 as a ‘cross and the Longitude as my mtb. [A Tarn framset that I could build up into a rigid 29er could also be considered.]

So, can you offer me any advice? What do you think of the Marin (bearing in mind that some of its 2016 faults have been corrected)? I can not find whether or not it can accommodate 29″ wheels, so if you have any insight into that, I would appreciate knowing. And what about the Longitude?

How about my ‘Cross choices?

Be as critical and as suggestive as you want. I’ll look forward to your comments.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

C+H.

scotroutes

Going by this photo, I’d say that a 29er wheel/tyre would fit fine in the PM

However, does it still use that strange, Marin-specific, “not Boost” rear axle?

Edit: It does. 141mmx9mm. Ah’m oot!

SaxonRider

Thanks scotroutes. What’s with the ‘not Boost’ axle?

And I’m still trying to understand CaptainFlashheart’s response. 😕

nedrapier

Just a thought. You could just about do all 3:

scotroutes

Coke and Hookers

SaxonRider

Hmm. Seems I haven’t been on here long enough. Or I’m just slow.

Actually, I know. I’m just slow.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Calgary Flames or The Oil? 8)

scotroutes

141×9 is to Boost as old-style 135×9 is to 142×12. It seems to be something that Marin have come up with. Personally, I’d not touch it.

SaxonRider

Bump for the Monday morning crowd, and in hopes that some of you might have more to add…

jamiep
    Free Member

Bump for the Monday morning crowd, and in hopes that some of you might have more to add…

decided to go for C&H option on Sunday night in the end? Sounds like quite a session

SaxonRider

Make that Tuesday morning. Once I figured out what C&H were, it was already Monday.

scotroutes

Oh, I’ve had a hankering for a CAADX and modern Tiagra is lovely. As a brand, Genesis somehow do nothing for me – although I saw a Tarn in my LBS and I might have been tempted if I were still shopping for B+.

I’ve said it before but there are few “bad” bikes, certainly at the price point you’re aiming for. Of course, there are still poor choices (Evil?).

rOcKeTdOg

Unless I get a decent deal by way of payout, I may have to use Wheelies

you don’t have to use wheelies, just ask for the amount to be paid into your bank account, less the excess

SaxonRider

My understanding, rd, is that if I ask for a payout instead, I could lose as much as 30% of the value of the bikes. Is this not the case?

rOcKeTdOg

My understanding, rd, is that if I ask for a payout instead, I could lose as much as 30% of the value of the bikes. Is this not the case?

if they can’t replace like for like what you had stolen then they have to give you the cash less excess. i claimed through M&S and wheelies couldn’t replace one of the three bikes (because Trek don’t make them anymore) so i got on the phone to the insurance company and explained and they suggested a direct transfer of the whole amount for three bikes less the excess

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘An amusing 'help me choose' thread (hopefully)’ is closed to new replies.