Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • An age-old problem… seatpost slippage
  • rhayter

The seatpost on my Fuel EX just will not stay in place. I’m cranking the QR hard – harder than I’ve ever done on any of my previous bikes – and it STILL slips. Any ideas for solving this, apart from never sitting my fat arse down? (Aluminium frame and seatpost, by the way.)

brant
    Free Member

Thomson?

rhayter

No Bontrager. 2011 Rhythm. Nice post. But becoming so very annoying…

c_klein87

used chalk dust in my steel niner with thomson post, does the trick, just need to take it out regularly to stop it seizing

rhayter

As it’s alu-on-alu, I don’t need to be too worried about galvanic corrosion… Or maybe I need a new ‘post?

spuddle
    Free Member
    chakaping
    Free Member

Try a different clamp and see if it solves the problem, borrow one from a mate to test.

mintimperial

I had this problem too, also on a Gary Fisher (so a Trek really) with a Bonty post. Carbon assembly paste fixed it without needing to buy any new kit. It has gritty bits* in it that help the tube to hold the post without needing too much force, and it has goop* that stops the whole thing seizing up completely.

*technical term

[Edit: yeah, that Ritchey stuff spuddle just linked to should do the trick – you can get better value than that though. I think I got some Finish Line stuff in a sale somewhere.]

perthmtb
    Free Member

My seatpost wasn’t slipping, but it was creaking which is the precursor to slipping. Solved it with some carbon assembly paste, tho’ the guy at the bike shop said a sprinkling of sand in normal grease would do just as well at a fraction the price!

rhayter

@spuddle, chakaping, mintimperial and perthmtb: thank you very much indeed. I knew there had to be a sensible answer somewhere…

GHill

I’ll give this a shot with my Thomson post.

bencooper
    Free Member

Some seatposts have an anodising finish that’s just too shiny – best solution I’ve found is to knurl it. If you’re near Glasgow, pop it in and I’ll use my knurling gadget on it…

ittaika
    Free Member

“pop it in and I’ll use my knurling gadget on it…”

there’s an offer you don’t see every day!

tomd
    Free Member

If the QR is a bit dirty it can take a lot of force to close it without out it clamping very tight. Have you tried cleaning and putting a wee bit of grease on QR mechanism? I’ve found that helps for me.

Trekster

Wet & dry, take the shine off and jobs a good’u n 🙂

Sam

Carbon assembly paste ftw

JoeG
    Free Member

If the above don’t solve your problem, try a double clamp like this or this.

rhayter

Thanks all. I’ve never had the offer of a “knurling gadget” before… 🙂 Carbon Paste is in the post…

tinsy
    Free Member

Do what tomd says too, it makes a huge difference to the clamping force.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘An age-old problem… seatpost slippage’ is closed to new replies.