• This topic has 71 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Amy Whinehouse
  • billysugger
    Free Member

Why didn’t radio 2 (and most for that matter) show her this much love when she was alive!? Makes me feel a bit nauseous to be honest.

When did radio 2 get like radio 1 with the 3 hour rotation and the strict playlist? Proper groundhog day prole stuff with the odd Free Bird and Hotel California thrown in.

I know WTF am I doing listening to radio 2!!!? AarRRgHH ❓

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t listen, the bits I’ve heard were crap.

R6 is better, still some dross and playlist crap too.

kayak23

This isn’t unusual. When people die they tend to get put on a pedestal somewhat.

Look how much people go on about Buddy Holly, and he was complete and utter pants.

billysugger
    Free Member

Yeah Radio 6 is pretty good. Don’t get to listen to a digi radio a lot.

Who’s inherited the rights to her music since? Is it her father Mitch? She’s making someone a fortune.

While I’m at it which idiot probably from my generation has done a degree in marketing then decided the right name for a programme about women truckers on tv tonight should be called Mothertruckers?!? I’m worried for the youth.

Then again my work to caffeine to outdoor activities ratio is out this week.

jota180
    Free Member

Look how much people go on about Buddy Holly, and he was complete and utter pants.

yeah, right and that Elvis fella too

CountZero

I don’t listen, the bits I’ve heard were crap.
    R6 is better, still some dross and playlist crap too.

Really? Name it. I listen from 7-3.30, and I’d love to know exactly what you’re referring to, ‘cos I can’t think of any dross that’s playlisted.

And that statement is just so much bollocks I don’t even know where to start.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

I quite like 6 Music……….however the times I’ve been on there and they’ve asked me what I wanted played,they tell you they haven’t got it and couldn’t I pick something from playlist A,B or C instead? sometimes They’ll even suggest 4 or 5 specific tracks you my want to “select”. Bit pants really.

cynic-al
    Free Member

CZ I guess it’s subjective, what with different folk having like different taste, including complete strangers on the internet and that?

theflatboy
    Free Member

i too listen to 6music a fair bit and concur that there’s a lot of shit that gets playlisted that gets very boring very quickly. same with their own ads – i honestly must have heard that jarvis cocker/leonard cohen ad over a hundred times in the last week or two.

chewkw
    Free Member

I bet the record label is behind the push for the increase in broadcasting of songs from the dead people. Kaching! Kaching! Kaching! 🙄

djc1245
    Free Member

Buddy Holly and Elvis were Godlike. How very dare you!! Next you will be dissing the King Himself…Sidney

Gary_C

Sidney?

Sidney the Vicious one ?

sparkyrhino

Daytime Radio went down the shitter when marc ‘n’ lard parted .a sad day indeed. 😥

cheese@4p

Don’t it always seem to go
    That you don’t know what you got ’till it’s gone?

Spin
    Free Member

Radio 2 shot themselves in the foot for me when they got rid of Radcliff and Maconie.

It really is a sad state of affairs when two 50 somethings are the edgiest thing on your schedule and you bump them for more anodyne copy and paste pop.

6 music is where its at if you like music to be more than background.

Klunk
    Free Member

Radio 2 shot themselves in the foot for me when they got rid of Radcliff and Maconie.

shot six music in the head, wish they’d **** off back to 2, they make smashie ‘n’ nicey look like a class act.

wheeliejim
    Free Member

The nation-wide traffic reports get on my nerves with Radio 2. They are going to be irrelevant to almost everybody listening, surely.

Spin
    Free Member

shot six music in the head, wish they’d **** off back to 2, they make smashie ‘n’ nicey look like a class act.

Horses for courses innit?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Sidney?

Sidney the Vicious one ?

Sidney Youngblood

I_Ache
    Free Member

sparkyrhino – Member
    Daytime Radio went down the shitter when marc ‘n’ lard parted .a sad day indeed.

This man speaks the truth.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

Sidney Poitier ?

landcruiser
    Free Member

Really ? people not receiving proper respect for their lifetime achievement until after their death ! surely not……….

Spin
    Free Member

Really ? people not receiving proper respect for their lifetime achievement until after their death ! surely not……….

Are you holding out for that yourself? ; )

cheez0
    Free Member

Chris Evans and Steve Wright are OK, but get rid of Ken Bruce.. wtf is that ‘popmaster’ shite all about?

And kick Jeremy Vine off too, its more like Jeremy Kyle with the idiots he has on for his crap ‘discussions’

Edit: +1 for Bring back Mark and Lard, and Mr Angry too!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

cheekyboy – Member

Sidney?

Sidney the Vicious one ?

Sidney Youngblood

Sidney Divine surely?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1X1THe0u7c[/video]

yunki
    Free Member

bbc music radio effectively turned turtle and wheezed it’s last vapid breath when John Peel died..

billysugger
    Free Member

Really ? people not receiving proper respect for their lifetime achievement until after their death ! surely not..

Yeah get your point but in her case a lot of the same people who pulled her up on her lifestyle to gain column inches/airtime/views/clicks are those that are now saying she was better than sliced bread. I’m not really surprised, just more and more disinterested in the mainstream. Makes me wonder how many still are. I mean we all only live in the mainstream for a limited window don’t we? I think that when I listen to the transformers theme music which is Skrillex on radio 1.

Suppose nobody has the courage of their convictions nowadays, easier just to sway with the tides of the ‘public opinion’

DezB
    Free Member

Why didn’t radio 2 (and most for that matter) show her this much love when she was alive!? Makes me feel a bit nauseous to be honest.

Cos she was a derivative, tedious, load of old shit?

Spin
    Free Member

Suppose nobody has the courage

I think you need to follow your own advice and mainly look out of the mainstream for those who do follow their own convictions.

If you want to stay in the mainstream as you call it you’ve got to go with the flow if that’s not milking the metaphor too much.

Also, mainstream doesn’t necessarily mean mediocre. Amy W is not my cup of tea but when I hear Love is a Losing Game the word that springs to my mind is genius much over used though that word is.

Spin
    Free Member

Cos she was a derivative, tedious, load of old shit?

What you actually mean here is ‘I didn’t like her music’

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Whats all the radio 2 nonsense? Have you given up and accepted you’re middleaged?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Best female singer songwriter for a long time. yes she sang in an established style but name anyone better?

billysugger
    Free Member

I think you need to follow your own advice and mainly look out of the mainstream for those who do follow their own convictions.

I get your point.

I’m mainly into old italian housey piano tunes/vocal trance and a few other genres so not really mainstream with musical interests and I wouldn’t say I like or dislike Amy Winehouse’s music. Radio 2’s been on in the background for the last few days and it’s started to get on my nerves.

Takes me back 5 years to a manufacturing job, being forced to listen to the same bland tunes spin around in a different order every 3or4 hours.

Maybe I’ve got old and not noticed.

EDIT TBH I’ll listen to almost anything.

Spin
    Free Member

Maybe I’ve got old and not noticed.

Not liking radio 2 is a sign of not being old!

nedrapier

I didn’t hear much winehouse bashing, from a musical point of view. Outside the tabloids, the main sentiment I heard was along the lines of: “Isn’t it a shame to see talent go to waste, let’s hope she can pull herself together and do herself justice”

billysugger
    Free Member

I’m sat listening to Slide Away by everyone’s favorite band wondering where them days went.

tazzymtb

Best female singer songwriter for a long time. yes she sang in an established style but name anyone better?

Kate Bush
    Tori Amos
    PJ Harvey
    Siouxsie Sioux
    Danielle Dax
    Devil doll
    plus loads more 😀

And the King was Kurt……let’s go wrecking

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tazzy – recent? and that list is distinctly arguable

tazzymtb

Devil doll is recent PJ harvey is still going Siouxsie is still producing as is tori amos, I think longevity of talent is more important than a piss head young un that managed a couple of mediocre albums before becoming such a mess that she couldn’t even manage to perform live.

but hey it’s all personal opinion and as you are never wrong, who am I to argue 😆

zippykona

Radio now is better than it has ever been. Not so long back radio 2 was all glen miller and such like. Now you will hear the biggest variety of music this side of 6. Ken Bruce and pop master are essential listening for 40s males.
    Amy Winehouse female Vic reeves pub singer. (apart from tears dry on their own, genius)
    Buddy Holly was going nowhere till he died.
    Elvis and heartbreak hotel was the very start of modern music. There is nothing before then I would want to listen to.(other people are free to disagree).
    With digital radio you are now free to tune out and find something else.
    10 years back it was all crapital radio clones. There was no choice.
    All hail the BBC, it ain’t perfect but tune in 95.8 and hear what radio used to be like.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Amy Whinehouse’ is closed to new replies.