Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Amsterdam
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Will be heading there for a day later in the summer. Where is a good place to park that is really central? Whats the best way to get around to see stuff?

Any recommendations for stuff to do would be good. Not remotely interested in red light district and cannabis related stuff.

I have daughters in tow so cycling around definitely not an option.

kilo
    taxi25
    Free Member

With your caveats I cant advise on things to do unfortunately 😉. Perhaps park close to the central station ? I’ve only ever walked around the place, if your only there for a day you’ll find plenty of things to do without needing transport.

tjagain

I wouldn’t attempt to drive into the centre at all. Park on the outskirts and use the train or tram

sc-xc

We went for a few days recently, Haarlem is a million times nicer than Amsterdam. Perhaps start there – then catch the fast train into the city for the afternoon.

We enjoyed just wandering around. It’s difficult to get too lost, although we got muddled up with some bridges/squares that all seemed to look the same.

I’d go back, but to Haarlem.

revs1972
    Free Member

We parked in the johan cruyff arena park and ride and got a GVB ticket for 4 for around 8 euro i think, with 1 euro parking on top.
    Good value i thought.
    Took around 20 mins to get into central area

revs1972
    Free Member

Its an easy drive up from Duinrell too (saw your other thread). Im not keen on driving abroad, but i found it a stressless journey. IME dutch drivers are more tolerant than us too
    Just watch the variable speed limits, although saying that i didnt see a single police car all week ( had visions of the pair from the fast show sat next to the main roads) 😁

jekkyl

Just head to the grasshopper and get wrecked.

Kryton57

Not remotely interested in red light district

From a sight seeing perspective I’d say thats a mistake.  Its actually a pretty amazing area, not dirty or as sleazy as you’d think.  Just go during the day to avoid any English piss-heads.

molgrips
    Free Member

Can’t you hire one of those kid bucket bikes and cycle?

wingnuts

Agree about Harlem. If you can use the train it is stress free. Probably to far the other side of Amsterdam but well worst is Naarden and Muiden. Castles, cobbled streets, boats, walled town and v safe for kids running about. Got relatives who live close to here and I never get sick of pottering about there.

akira

Modern art gallery is pretty good and the science museum is quite fun.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

We’ll be heading from Duinrell to Ams one day this week Lodders, probably drive to the PnR at Bos en Lommer and get the tram from there.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

Road from Ijmuiden ferry port was a breeze this morning.

doomanic

How old are the girls? https://www.bodyworlds.nl/ is fascinating.

LardLover
    Free Member
    DrJ

IME dutch drivers are more tolerant than us too

We moved to Holland in 2004 and were shocked at how impatient and aggressive Dutch drivers were. But having now moved back to the UK, it seems like you are correct, and UK drivers are really bad.

To the OP, I’d agree with others and try to avoid parking. Haarlem is a nice small town, interesting museum, but obvs more limited than Amsterdam. If you’re looking for days out from Duinrell don’t discount Rotterdam, and of course join the crowds at Kinderdijk.

cranberry
    Free Member

Unless you have something specific that you want to see in Amsterdam ( eg Rijksmuseum ) then I’d give it a miss, the centre has quite a Blackpool vibe to it.

Delft or Leiden are nicer towns to have a stroll around.

richardkennerley

the centre has quite a Blackpool vibe to it.

Haha, it definitely doesn’t!

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Some terrible advice on here. Amsterdam is an amazing city – lived there for many years, so I think I have a better overview on it than some on here who obviously haven’t seen it properly.

If you’re driving I’d park on the road in the New South near the WTC and get the number 5 tram into the centre.

There’s loads more to do in Amsterdam in comparison to the other cities/towns mentioned (with the exception of Rotterdam, which is large but nowhere near as attractive).

I’d head to the Jordaan for sightseeing, have a drink at De Jaaren and maybe take in a museum at Museumplein before a wander through the Vondelpark,

JP

easily
    Free Member

I’ve heard that in Amsterdam where the sailors all meet there’s a sailor who eats only fishheads and tails.

Sounds good to me.

loddrik
    Free Member

Doomanic. Great shout. Was planning to take them to see this in London but I think I’d rather see it it over there.

No chance of me trying somewhere else. Wife has been banging on about Amsterdam for years and was one of the main reasons we chose Duinrell this year. Will probably go a couple of times whilst we are there.

How much are the trams? Is it possible to buy a day ticket rather than a single fare?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lodders, had a cracking morning, cycled into the Hague, ran a 10k and cycled back. What an amazing city to cycle in, incredibly well thought out, courteous drivers, and lovely countryside on the way.

You’ll love it.

DrJ

How much are the trams? Is it possible to buy a day ticket rather than a single fare?

Can’t remember how much a ticket is, sorry. There is a quite confusing set of cards available. I bought an Oyster-like thing as I go fairly often, but a day or 2 day card is probably better value – lots of info in English via google.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Buy some edibles and wander round. Soak it all up. I love the Amsterdam accent it’s so much more than the usual Nederlands accent.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

We spent a long weekend there last year. The parks to the north have a really nice feel and usually have something going on. Nice old craft breweries there as well, to erm… rehydrate. Jordaan I can reccomend and also get the free ferry opposite the train station over to the industrial bit… there’s a wonderful Cuban bar that often has live music on.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Buy some edibles and wander round.

Did this.

Tripped balls.

Auditory and visual hallucinations, extreme dry mouth, racing heart, hot and cold sweats, anxiety. Vertigo. No munchies. Could barely speak for a good while. 1/10 would not recommend.

Trip back in the back of a mates convertible with sober friend driving, then the ferry crossing wasn’t fun at all.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Did this.

Tripped balls.

Auditory and visual hallucinations, extreme dry mouth, racing heart, hot and cold sweats, anxiety. Vertigo. No munchies. Could barely speak for a good while. 1/10 would not recommend.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

plumber
    Free Member

Me and the Mrs went a few years ago – bought a

https://www.dutchmuseumcard.com/index.html

when we were in the rijkmuseum

Exceptional value for money as there are so many very interesting museums in Amsterdam. Quite often small one or two rooms with a great story and essentially free after you have bought the card

I recall it was valid for a year as well

Otherwise just wander round, there’s plenty to see.

I would miss the hermitage though – I thought it very poor

Sandwich

If you head over to IJplein go for a ride at “This is Holland”. Not for those suffering vertigo.

chomp
    Free Member

If you’re in Duinrell it’s a quick and easy train ride from Leiden.

We’d been a few times but when we went with our kids for the first time we took a boat tour (which Id always poo pooed in the past) which was actually really good and very informative.

giant_scum
    Free Member

What Chomp said, bus or cycle to Leiden then train to Amsterdam!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Amsterdam’ is closed to new replies.