Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ampthill Riders?
  • MadCowKev
    Free Member

Morning all

I’ve not long moved to Ampthill, Beds and see quite alot of riders going out in the evening towards Millbrook/Woburn or sitting outside the pubs postride.

Anyone willing to let me tagalong?

Cheers
    Kev

Colin-T

Check out Silly Grin a friendly bunch based mostly around Bedfordshire.

They’ve got a night ride heading to Woburn this Wednesday evening and ride there regularly over the winter (Summer rides are more varied but Woburn is one of the better drained local areas so holds up much better in the winter)

hammerite
    Free Member

Kev, a clubmate was telling me about a group who meet outside a pub in Ampthill (can’t remember the pub name, but will try and find out) on a Wednesday night and head out for a ride, usually out in the direction of Woburn. Apparently it’s a gentle social ride out, then an every man for himself burn back.

If you don’t mind meeting further afield, my club meet at 7pm at our clubhouse in Cardington on a Thursday night. Usually managing a 2-2 1/2hr ride.

MountainKing
    Free Member

The pub in Ampthill is the Old Sun, they have a road section which go out on a Thursday night also.

From Ampthill you will also find the riding at Chicksands can be OK especially in the winter as it drains pretty well.

Then you have the trails around Millbrook woods and also the new bits around the centre parcs site on the edge of Flitwick.

Basically there is plenty of riding, what do you ride as I am local and will say hello if I see you around. I ride a genesis altitude mostly for the local stuff.

MadCowKev
    Free Member

Thanks Mountain King. I’ve been rocking a green Ibis Mojo all summer but just traded it for a Yeti Big Top.

Road with the Old Sun fellas one Sunday morning in June and they were cool but I’m usually out too early to be sociable on weekends.

hammerite – will check out Cardington. Thursday nights are good for me. Thanks

bigbloke
    Free Member

As Colin-T says Sillygrin are always up to something on various days of the week and weekends. Friendly bunch with a bit of friendly banter along the way. Most rides locally are Pirton, Chicksands,Woburn and various xc edge of field rides too for fitness or fun.

I’ve not ridden out Flitwick way as yet so not sure of what is about locally there.

Hammerite, not heard of the thursday club thing, i’m guessing its the predominantly road cycling club in Cardington?

hammerite
    Free Member

Yep, it’s Beds Road Club ride on Thursdays.

Bullet

The Barton hills (just by Barton le Clay down the road from Ampthill)are good too although getting muddy now. Some good climbs and descents and can string together a good 25 mile XC route easily.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ampthill Riders?’ is closed to new replies.