Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Amoxicillin – The gift that keeps on giving.
  • bigblackshed

I’ve had a few dental infections over the last few months, wisdom tooth infected and removed, “dry socket” with another infection, then the molar next to it infected and the root dying. I’ve had the first stages of root canal to try to save the molar.

In that time I’ve had three courses of metronidazole, which were unpleasant, now part way through a course of amoxicillin. The delights that have fallen out of me.

Surely there can’t be anything left inside me?

blokeuptheroad

Been there. Probiotics and fermented food during and afterwards to preserve some of your gut biome and then build it back up. The antibiotics will nuke all your good gut bacteria along with any infections. Raw veg unpeeled fruit (apples not pineapples!) Kefir, sauerkraut. Kombucha, yoghurt etc.

scaredypants

just amoxicillin, or co-amoxiclav ?
    how much are you taking and how long have you been on it ? How long left ?
    did you have no diarrhoes before starting the amox ?
    (presumably no BBQ recently ?)

Amoxicillin doesn’t cause irritant diarrhoea that often, though possible (and is typically a dose-related thing). It can – especially after multiple other courses of abx (even just metronidazole) – predispose to overgrowth in the gut of something called C.difficile, which can cause fairly severe diarrhoea/colitis. It’s not top of the “risk list” for that (and nor is metronidazole) but is possible. If you fancied, yr GP might well be interested in sending a sample of yr poo for testing (I’m guessing that dentists can’t request this)

If they don’t find C.diff toxins in your puddle, it’s also possible that “just” disruption of the bacterial microbiome in yr gut is causing the splats and the hope would be that this would reset fairly quickly after stopping

blokeuptheroad

^^ top marks for ‘splats’ and ‘puddle’ 👍

igm

scaredypants

Great name for this thread.

scaredypants

thanks, blokeup – as you can see from the top paragraph, I can’t spell diarrhoea so need alternatives

“skiddypants” is still available, I think

matt_outandabout

I hear diarrhea is hereditary.

It runs in your jeans.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

I had some antibiotics for an ear problem that really disagreed with me. Spoke to the doc and they prescribed some different ones that did the job without making me ill.

rOcKeTdOg

Amoxicillin just made my wee smell funny when I took a course for a kidney infection

bigblackshed

I’ve only got two more doses to go today then I’m done with the amoxicillin.

I’m off work due to working in food packaging production, not directly with food, don’t even touch the packaging. The sun is shining, comfy temperature but I can’t enjoy it because the garden is too far from the bathroom.

I can’t trust a fart, but the cool shower with strategically directed spray pattern was of some blessed relief. 🙄

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.