Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 441 total)
  • Americans and their gun laws
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

It was only a matter if time (Florida)

Wonder if they will ever change their gun laws.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43066226

mikewsmith
    Free Member

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Shooting at Florida school – reports – http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43066226</span&gt;

Depressing that nothing will be done.

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s going to take decades, if not centuries, for the gun-loving generations to die off. Only then will things change.

cranberry
    Free Member

I’ve come to the conclusion that for enough people in America the cost of a gun-rich society is one that they are prepared to pay.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Unfortunatley cranberry that ti’s mostly the ones not getting shot.

Perhaps a representative of the offending gun manufacturer should be telling the parents their kids are not coming home

mikey74
    Free Member

Perhaps a representative of the offending gun manufacturer should be telling the parents their kids are not coming home

… and the NRA.

wwaswas

128 gun deaths in Florida alone this year before this shooting.

280 school shootings since 2013. Click able map here https://everytownresearch.org/school-shootings/#5924

mikey74
    Free Member

and….. the thoughts and prayers have been dispatched to sort out the situation:

“The president has been made aware of the school shooting in Florida,” said White House Deputy Press Secretary Lindsay Walters.
    “We are monitoring the situation. Our thoughts and prayers are with those affected.”

frankconway

And so it continues to happen.

alpin
    Free Member

Nothing to see here, move along….

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Oh, another one, there’s a **** surprise.

Don’t worry, the NRA are ok with it.

phiiiiil

That map on the first link is fascinating… what is behind the massive east / west split? It doesn’t follow state lines, so it can’t be political, so what is it? Random chance? Geographic?

Anyway. Now isn’t the time to talk about such things, obvs. We’ll wait until there hadn’t just been a shooting. Ummmm…

Drac

If only the kids had been armed they could have stopped this.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Compare that map with one of population density.

POP DEN USA

maxtorque

Lots of Crocodile Tears, no action. That’s the modern American way!

Until some rich kids are gunned down, then nothings going to change…….

blurty

‘Nothing will be done’ because the majority don’t want it to be done. Completely bonkers to most of us but that’s the way democracy works.

The right to bear arms is ingrained in US society, a hold-over from the 1700s and was originally meant to make the country ‘un-invadable’ by the Brits.

stuhawk
    Free Member

Have just seen the latest school shooting in Florida being reported on the BBC news. The journalist made a very good point surrounding gun law, if Sandyhook in 2012 where 20 6 and 7yr olds were killed didn’t get a change to gun laws, there’s not much hope this one will.

Very sad but very very true.

franksinatra

19th school shooting so far this year.

It’s the second week of February.

batfink
    Free Member

‘Nothing will be done’ because the majority don’t want it to be done. Completely bonkers to most of us but that’s the way democracy works.

Thats not true though – the majority of Americans support greater gun control – even the majority of NRA members support stricter gun control.  The NRA blocks ANY form of gun control, they even blocked a proposal that people on no-fly lists shouldn’t be able to buy a gun!

The issue is the way that AMERICAN democracy works – ie: via bribery/lobbying.

Trumps message about changing politics and washington really resonated with people….. but unfortunately he was just lying.

dissonance

Until some rich kids are gunned down, then nothings going to change

Even then it is unlikely to make a difference. After all various politicans of both parties have been shot at in the not so distant past and nowt has happened.

Expect the NRA etc to come out with comments along the lines of “it is too early to talk about it” until it is forgotten until the next shooting. They might go for a side helping of “if the good guys have guns”.

On the plus side the NRA may have some funding difficulties. At least one major gun maker is in problems in part due to sales being down because people aint bulk buying in case the government takes their guns away.

Mackem

Excuse me, how does the NRA block anything? It’s just a club isn’t it?

mikey74
    Free Member

They are one of the most powerful lobbyists on Capital Hill, and therefore have a huge amount of influence.

dissonance

They are a well funded and highly vocal lobbying organisation.

Mackem

So, it’s money in politicians pockets that blocks things.

mikey74
    Free Member

Pretty much.

dissonance

So, it’s money in politicians pockets that blocks things.

yup and that the pro gun lobby tends to be highly motivated so easier to turn out to cheer on/oppose a specific candidate.

seadog101

And how long before we hear, once again, that the guns were legally held?

Yes, in the US lots of criminals have and use guns that are illegally owned, but these mass shootings are so frequently committed by people permitted to have the weapons. Some sort of twisted logic in the principle that you need the guns to protect yourself.

😡

batfink
    Free Member

“So, it’s money in politicians pockets that blocks things”

I don’t really see a benefit in distinguishing between the morality of the briber and the bribee – one begets the other, chicken/egg etc.  It’s certainly the NRA pulling the strings and setting the agenda.

Ironically, any company with a US footprint is subject US anti-bribery laws, which effectively bans any sort of bribery…… and yet it’s ok in US politics and completely out in the open.

frankconway

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/10/2/16399418/us-gun-violence-statistics-maps-charts

Stats and charts heavy; not everything is totally upto date but pulls together research and analyses from multiple sources.

frankconway

Some of the republican politicos accepting NRA $$$ named and shamed – and some rated as A+ by the NRA.

How quick they have been with their tweets expressing sympathy – fuggin’ hypocrites.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/373922-ny-daily-news-calls-out-gop-senators

Northwind

Honestly it helped me understand the situation a lot more once I understood that for the NRA “responsible gun owner” just means “hasn’t murdered anyone, so far as we know, yet”. I kept hearing those words and thinking things like why would a responsible gun owner object to waiting periods, safe storage, mandatory safety training, limits on capacity, or whatever other soft gun control they’re raging about today.

But remember, now is not the time to talk about gun control.

frankconway

Northwind – no siree, definitely not the time to talk about control; must gather facts and send sympathy and condolences. That will help to prevent further mass murders – yup.

DrJ

It’s what Americans voted for.  Will of the People and all that.

mrmoofo

Don’t waste any time on this …. the Americans don’t bother, neither should we.

It isn’t going to change because of general stupidity.

another 7-10 will happen this year.

manvstarmac

Is America’s apparent blindness to the harm caused by the prevalence of guns, similar to many countries when looking at deaths and injuries caused by vehicles?

Someone (barrister Martin Porter perhaps) commenting on said graph asked if those battling to prevent vehicle deaths could have 40x the funding of those fighting terrorism.

Maybe Americans fighting gun violence could be afforded the same level of control and cash given to those fighting terrorism.

kerley
    Free Member

Good point.  If a country that didn’t have cars looked at the UK and saw that 1700 people are killed a year their reaction would be why doesn’t the UK ban cars, have better car controls etc,.

How can the UK put up with all the needless death just because they like cars.

mrmoofo

I am guessing road deaths per 1000 in the UK are pretty low…

And whilst the car haterz on here want to get ride off them, accept that personal transport is needed…. 1700 out of 65 mio is not huge

17 school shooting this year so far, is ….

dskelly81
    Free Member

I’ve worked in the USA with a lot of Americans & find it amazing that they all believe that they MUST be armed all the time.  As though they’re life is like Hollywood film set & the bad guys are about to burst into their houses at any moment.

Argument number 1 for justification for having weapons:  Well if the bad guys have guns, then I/we must have them too to defend ourselves against them.

I fired off some guns at a friends house over there for the novelty factor & whilst happy to tick unloading an AK-47 clip off the bucket list, I just don’t see the appeal that a lot (especially in the south) have with guns.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I was in Atlanta in late ’13 after a big school massacre.

The company rep that was hosting me was of the opinion that if the teachers were armed then that wouldn’t have happened…. He refused to accept my argument that if no-one was armed it wouldn’t have happened.

You can’t argue with such ingrained ignorance. Just watch and sadly accept the depressing  statistics and be grateful we don’t have the same problem.

Klunk
    Free Member

If a country that didn’t have cars looked at the UK and saw that 1700 people are killed a year their reaction would be why doesn’t the UK ban cars, have better car controls etc,.

it might be a good analogy if those deaths were deliberate callus acts, of course the lad could have been cleaning his gun in class and it went off by mistake but i don’t think so.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 441 total)

The topic ‘Americans and their gun laws’ is closed to new replies.