American Express

Home Forum Chat Forum American Express

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • American Express
  • Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

Me – the cash back on the platinum credit card is great!
    Smaller retailers tend not to accept it, but larger ones do and I use it for all amazon and PayPal purchases.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

I use it. Connected to my amazon and paypal. Also buy as much for the shop as I can using it.
    We get lots of airmiles and can turn right on the plane!
    We don’t accept it in the shop as the charges are so high and they take a long time to send you your money.

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

Yup, BA airmiles. Most places take it these days, we use it for everything we can inc food and petrol

@zippy I think you mean turn left ?

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Subscriber

Yep, bigger benefits but can’t have it as an only card as far from being accepted everywhere

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Subscriber

Bigger question is what happened to my flexible friend Access? Did money do him over?

WillH

Our work credit cards used to be Amex but the number of places that took them dwindled until they were next to useless, so we switched to MasterCard.

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

I have an Amex charge card from when I used to travel a lot. Nothing quite like racking up expenses on the card that gives you air miles.

I keep meaning to work out if it’s actually worth it’s cost in benefits – I’m guessing probably not, but it is useful having a card with no spending limit.

curto80

Eh? Loads of places take Amex. Basically anywhere you are likely to be spending more than a few quid. I have a MasterCard for smaller purchases. Ridic thread.

Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

Does anyone actually use Amex?

When I was a kid, the advertisements for them used to claim that they were the world’s most accepted card, yet even then (40-some-odd years ago) no one’s parents that I knew of used it.

So who the hell actually does use it? And how have they managed to stay around?!?

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I have one for work. I’ve had it refused in lots of places. It’s because they charge a huge fee, so retailers don’t want to accept it even though they could.

I think most of their business is corporate clients now. I watched a programme about them once, but I can’t remember why they are so popular with companies….

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Yep it’s got higher fee’s so a lot of small retailers won’t touch it. Used to have one for FF points but with a MC back up you just used it whenever you didn’t know the retailer so supermarket and fuel etc.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

I use it. Connected to my amazon and paypal.

This. We have the Nectar version. I use mine for all work expenses and it nets us about £400 of Nectar points every year. Makes for a very nice free Christmas lunch.

P-Jay

I know a few people who use them, or rather were given them to handle work expenses.

‘Access’ was a Lloyds / NatWest (I think) joint venture to take on Barclaycard but in the end they all sold out to Visa or MasterCard.

Premier Icon wallop
    Subscriber

I’ve got one. Very few places don’t accept it, in my experience.

redwoods

We use ours for all our food shopping and fuel etc. Now clocked up enough Avios points for two business class return flights to somewhere sunny in Europe for a winter MTB holiday. The only two places I’ve found who don’t take it are Aldi and B&Q.

stevextc

I’ve got the platinum cash back and use it where I can for cash back. We have corporate ones we are meant to use but I get back typically over $1000 a year. Better than flights or nectar for me. Last thing I want are free flights…
    Platinum service is very very good, if you need to call them etc.
    Corporate is lousy.

I’ve got a platinum MasterCard from NW as well and Amex service is just much better even though it’s accepted in more places … It’s a toss up in some ways, a few places don’t take Amex but when something happens they sort stuff out and the person on the other end of the phone (on the platinum cards) is empowered to make stuff happen … really useful if your abroad and sh1t happens.

DrJ

I use it for day to day expenses because their website is much better than my bank’s website (search for transactions etc) and because it was easier to get a 2nd card for MrsJ from Amex than from my bank. I haven’t found many shops that don’t accept it.

oldmanmtb

Best card going if you are into identity theft/card fraud…

Premier Icon HansRey
    Subscriber

i often work in Italy. It is useless there!

Premier Icon Flaperon
    Subscriber

I use one. Managed to get 33,000 miles in six months so it’s worth it for me, especially with the lounge club membership that comes with it. However, it picks up an annual charge from next year so won’t be continuing with it.

Rockhopper

They used to cost roughly twice as much to the retailer than mastercard etc which is why lots of shops don’t accept Amex.

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

However, it picks up an annual charge from next year so won’t be continuing with it.

Which card exactly ? Note my wife has to pay a charge for her French Amex card – Air France one.

I would say Amex is accepted at vast majority of places we spend money, all petrol stations, all supermarkets. As above just some smaller restaurants and shops don’t as fees are high (Rockhopper yes I think thats right and visa debit is even cheaper to the seller)

Rockhopper

Debit cards are a fixed charge per transaction and credit cards tend to be a percentage but its been a while since I was in retail so that might have changed as well!

scuttler

Only one for me

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl-1L2nxeac[/video]

trail_rat

i got fed up being told we dont accept amex.

for the amount of spending i do at national chains who are likely to accept it it wasnt worth it so i canceled it.

milky1980

I used to have one for the cashback but it was getting harder to use it in some places so switched it for a VISA alternative. Slightly less cashback amount but it works everywhere.

Best card going if you are into identity theft/card fraud…

I’ve been receiving the Amex bill for one of the previous residents of my flat for the last 4 years. Despite returning the bills to sender and even phoning them three times to say he no longer lives there I now have his new card, PIN and even a refund cheque of his after he got into credit on it! He’s still using it occasionally so it’s fully active, I could easily go bike shopping without any problems.

Premier Icon kcal
    Subscriber

had one with a Visa card in some Barclaycard hybrid but they stopped it – shame as the cash back was bigger. But only used it for big retailers, didn’t even bother with smaller ones as knew the res were way higher.

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

i got fed up being told we dont accept amex.

Use mine at …

Sainsbury’s
    Tesco
    Waitrose (although usually use our JL mastercard)
    All petrol stations
    Amazon
    Eurotunnel
    BA (obviously)

Premier Icon mcnultycop
    Subscriber

Loads of place didn’t accept it so I binned mine off. There are loads of other cash back cards out there.

Oddly it’s much more widely accepted in America.

Premier Icon BillOddie
    Subscriber

I have one as my work card.

It’s a right pain in the arse if you travel in Europe and don’t want to stay/eat in a chain place.

Premier Icon kcal
    Subscriber

and who could forget this –
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF-U9nL9Ios[/video]

Wife’s got a BA one that she uses for Business spends.

£10k a year gets you a 2 for 1 companion voucher combine that with the accumulated Avios points and turning left becomes almost reasonable.

We usually pay around £1k (mostly in taxes) for a pair of return business long haul flights whereas they should be around £8k!!!

trail_rat

very good jamba but i try for the most part to shop local (butchers and fishmongers etc) , aldi for the big shop and especially eating out. even my local bike shop doesnt take amex as it costs so much.

so i reitterate i got fed up being told we dont accept amex.

good that it works for you but i didnt want to be tied to chain clone stores.

it was also nice you partially quoted me and then listed a list of places that contradict the second half of my post.

oikeith

The energy company I used to work at several years ago didnt accept AMEX, used to be called American Excuse, never was sure why!

g5604

we do a lot of work for them, it all seems to be mainly business to business. Tracking expenses, offering services for business travellers etc.. Apparently they are the 3rd largest travel agent.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

A normal credit card costs us 0.65 % to process an Amex is 1.95%.
    Mastercard World is also 1.95 and business credit cards are as well.
    We get maybe 3 business cards a month whereas we must turn down 2 Amex a day. Everyone always has a normal card as well.

DrP

If you want the benefits of an Amex everyhere, get yourself a Curve card..
    You can use it anywhere that acceptas mastercard, but ‘make it’ be your Amex card for all the benefits…

This is a moot point, as technically I’ve an amex card, but as I can’t remember my log in, and it’s registered at my old address, and Amex won’t switch it, I had to cancel the card and though I have an account, I’ve no working card…

DrP

DrJ

On a related issue – it amazes me how many places in the UK don’t accept cards AT ALL. Sure – it costs the merchant a small percentage, but how much business do they lose from people simply not shopping there?

john_l

whereas we must turn down 2 Amex a day

Serious question – how do you think that makes your customers really feel? I know they’ve then paid with another card, but it wasn’t the one that they really wanted to use.

How much do you spend on customer service – training your staff, providing a coffee machine, putting on club rides, club discounts etc, all of which cost money.

Obviously I don’t know if you do all of these things, but if it was me I’d be adding “letting the customer pay with the card they want to use” to the list of things that add up to good customer service.

Just my 2 penneth 🙂

Obviously I don’t know if you do all of these things, but if it was me I’d be adding “letting the customer pay with the card they want to use” to the list of things that add up to good customer service.

Just my 2 penneth

Yes, but on anything expensive, say a new bike costing £3k it’s £60 (or a saturday job for 2 weeks) Vs pennies for a debit card. A bit more than your 2 penneth.

And everyone expects AMEX to be declined so would the customer even remember (Vs being served the aforementioned coffee by the aforementioned saturday kid rather than not at all)?

My local garage takes credit cards for small stuff but not big stuff, doesn’t bother me as at the end of the day he’d just put his prices up by 2% if everyone was able to use credit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.